Gear Stick Change...

sammcl

I tried to take the gear knob off on my arosa which turned out to be a very bad idea!! Apprently the way the arosa is built the gear knob is not supposed to come off as it is one piece.

I was wondering if anyone has attempted to change this aswell... I can get it fixed by the seat garage for £15 but i would pay some extra money for a decent gear knob and a leather bag which goes round it. Anyone know anywhere in north london where i could get this done?

Thanks!

Have you broken something on the gear knob then?

I replaced my arosa one for a lupo sport gear knob and gaiter. It look smuch better and also a bit longer so it gives a better change.

My mate said that he knew how to change the gear knob and that it came off in a certain way.... but he was wrong and has taken off half the gearstick. I can still use it but it looks horrible and needs sorting.

Cheers for the website!

chris how do you take it off? I want to change my gaitor as it fallen to bits. I know that you pull off the bottom bit that holds it down. Then what do you have to do?

As you proberly know the lupo/arosa gear knobs are a one piece item the is fixed together.

The only way to take them off in one piece is to pull the gaiter inside out over the stick and cut the metel clip at the bottom of the shaft.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

im wanting to replace my gaitor and gear knob as theyre looking very tired

after a quick search im guessing all i need to do is pull the base of the gaitor up so it unclips/pops out of the handbrake surround trim and then lift it over the gear knob and undo the clip?

Then will this allow me to take both gaitor and knob off the stick and replace with the new items?

EDIT: Also, will an ebay lupo/polo gaitor do the trick or do i need to be genuine VW?

Cheers

Edited by max West-York