Brake Upgrades

Guest ModdedCars

Guest ModdedCars

Anyone looked into this?

More for the website than anything, what are the options? Would it be worth having new discs/calipers on the front?? Some nice `4-pot` Brembo Calipers? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Pity you need 18" Rims for the Porsche brakes smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Anyone got any options?

Guest ModdedCars

Actually....

I'm thinking of V6 `4-motion` brakes smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'd need a hub conversion to `5-stud`....but would this require a change of driveshafts?

Be expensive, replacement driveshafts front/rear, hubs, discs, calipers, AND the wheels would all need to be done at once!

Would stop on a sixpence though!!! Sweeeet biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I think the easiest way to go would be the brakes from an Ibiza Cupra R, which are actually Brembo ones. You'll need 16", afterwards, but that is sure easier to fit than 18"'s wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> This brakes should be a direct swap, nice heh? But I never heard something 'bout the Cupra R brake perf, so...

Or you could use the `BB-Porsche` Brakes (the ones from the 300 hp Lupo), still 16" required, `5-stud` this time, maybe more choice for the wheels?

I'm happy with my brake `set-up` (even with drums @ the rear...) except for the ABS, that sometimes starts working too early in my opinion.

Guest ModdedCars

The Ibiza Cupra R is a `4-stud`?

But the brakes off those would be prefect smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> expensive though, as your trying to get parts off a limited edition car!!

Guest ModdedCars

Just found out - they are 4 stud smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> know a guy in the EVO forum who's got one.

Interesting....I like the sound of this... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edit - Its my 200th Post!

Edited By ModdedCars on Mar. 06 2002 at 23:12

QUOTE(ModdedCars)
Edit - Its my 200th Post!

yeah yr filling up yr own forum quite nicely smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

no info on the brakes though hehe, following the "tao" of our own Super Guinea Pig smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I have been advised that you can get a Brembo `4-pot` behind the standard wheel, you just need a suitable bracket fabricated to fix.

Willwood calipers available, but not sure about quality, not convinced about a lot of US tuning stuff......

There is no reason why you should need to use a 5 stud pattern for the BB brake kit as surely the calipers will still bolt to the existing fixing, you would just need a performance disk made up (grooved not drilled).

I was advised Seat typr R option probably easiest way to go and probably cheapest as all off the shelf products.

Any infos about the performance of the Ibiza R? If there's a noticeable performance increase, why not do the swap? But so I would be forced to use 15" at least all the time...which would be great! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

just thought of sumthing.. i did a braided steel hose upgrade for the bike... that worked miracles!! i wonder why they dont do that for ALL brakes.. much clearer response, much clearly defined pressurepoint.. maybe, if you do braided hoses, different pads (i heard sumthing about ferrodo pads? ??), and drilled discs like chris suggests, you might not have to do the extra cost of changing the calipers completely!!

--unless you guys want an excuse to change to 15" or 16" wheels respectively ofcourse biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I belieev braided hoses are available for the Lupo - Remember reading it somewhere.

I have "green Stuff" pads in mine which did help improve performance a little.

Don't get drilled disks, get them with grooves. I have read somewhere that if you run small (250mm) drilled disks the heat build up can cause fractures to occur around the points where the holes are drilled. Obviously not quite the same issue on a 330mm disk

Guest ModdedCars

Does anyone know the actual size of the Lupo GTi's discs front and rear??

Cupra R has to be cheaper that the AP Racing option - £1600!!!

The Brembo's off the "R" are 304mm on the front and 232mm on the rear. Not sure how this compares to the standard Cupra.

Rudy - Cupra R is 180bhp, 173lb/ft, `0-60` in 7.2, 140mph tops. If those brakes can cope with 180bhp and a 1200kg car, should OK with 180bhp and a 1000kg car biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

So, here are some tech specs:

GTi Stock brakes:

front: 256 mm diameter, vented, 25 mm thick

rear: 232 mm diameter, `non-vented`, 16 (?) mm thick

The TDI, the 16v and the GTI have all 256 mm brakes @ the front, the 16v and the GTI discs @ the rear and only the GTI has thicker discs in front; 25 instead of 22 mm (I guess for better heat dissipation)

The Polo with disc brakes at the rear had only 226 mm discs rear... seems not logic to me ???

Chris: You're right about the drilled ones, I saw 320 mm drilled discs (Various Porsches, mostly 911) with small and not so small cracks around the holes. and if it isn't time to change the discs, the dealer will have to free the holes with a drill, and believe me, it's too fukking easy to break `2-3` drills per car, and you probably will have to pay for them smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> But I guess a Porsche owner won't mind about this LOL tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Braided hoses are available from ABT, I think they fit the GTI too. I hads found another company, but I can't remember anything, maybe this?

Edited By Lupo TDI on Mar. 07 2002 at 20:07

rudy, i have a strong suspicion youre in the porsche `dealership-business` and have HUGE technical experience smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> am i correct?

maybe you should be promoted to Technical High Priest of the site smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />, that is, next to your `TDi-SuperPriesthood` ofcourse smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

oh, my...*blushes*thanks smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Axel, I work(ed) some weeks every year at the local Porsche dealership (which is also my local `VW-Audi` dealer), during holidays. I helped them out as a sort of "apprenti", how would you call that in english? So I did some brake jobs and oil changes to some nice Porsches smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> But unfortunately, I didn't study mechanics, and I sometimes wish I had done this. Oh, well...now it's probably too late. But yes, If you have some tech. question, I could be able to answer it, just ask!

Seeya!