******* the GTi

bAAx

*lifts up the veil that hangs over what possibly could be the next mod for my loop*

CHIPPIN!

in the footsteps of the great milmil or cédric that is sometimes seen here in order to promote his (*very*) french `GTi-site` (wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> sorry cédric).. my mind is, albeit slowly, getting into the idea of an ENGINE mod !!

according to cédric his loop is completely transformed by the procedure, and he gets better consumption in the process.. the man continued: those 16 more bhps and around 20 more lbs of torque (at a lower rpm too) can really, REALLY be felt.

THIS is his chipping company of choice

I am quite suprised that you can gain 16bhp from a small capacity normally aspirated engine with a chip, I mean that is almost 13% gain.

You have to be careful doing them over here as well, did look at it, but my engine had one of the ecu's that is filled with glue so when you open it up to change the chip it wrecks the ecu sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

i was, too, very surprised with the gains, but cédric SWEARS those numbers are for real wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> and from what i gather this "monsieur" wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> is very serious indeed about the quality of his upgrades.

i can understand VW would strangle the potential of their engine to always be on the safe and durable side by a margin of at least 200% tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />, hence, as ia am a very "caring" `car-owner`, i could have the "powerchips" engineers factor out a couple of those security variables (i will always use good fuel, and service the car regularly) for my driving pleasure, without even compromising engine life or reliability. (at least thats what i hope)

to drive my point home: chucking the OEM suspension for those bilsteins yielded MORE than a 15% "handling gain" imho, so why wouldnt there be more in the engine too?

and concerning the `ecu-box` boobytrap issues.. you can send the detached box as a whole to powerchips to have them do the work and defuse any surprises VW might have laid out for you biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> so that should solve things, wouldnt you agee? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yeah, I think its cool, was just suprised by the figures, I mean my TT is only a 20% gain and that is running very high boost, but that also had all the exhust work done as well.

And any company that can `un-booby` VW's traps has to be good.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'm a sceptic too....that 1.6 16v is in a quite high state of tune as it is for a small engine (BMW's Mini is only 103, as is Fords in the Fiesta, Pugs is only 120) and gaining 16bhp from a chip??

I'd like to see rolling road figures, or some proof, before I went ahead with it.