Turbo, or 1.8T engine swap?

MattyB

Gah, I've been looking into major poower gains again sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

After a little discussion on the EVO Forum regarding `over-powering` cars, someone suggested that using a 1.8Turbo engine would be more viable than turbo'ing my existing lump.

(Hey chris, wanna sell me your TT engine?? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />)

However, does anyone know the weight of the 1.8T block compared to the 1.6 block? Not somethiing that would be easy to find out I know.....but just interested.

I wonder how hard it would be to fit? I'm going to email Dubsport, I think....

Bugger, can't email them, and I aint phoning them about it.

SHIT! On Awesome GTi's site, they quote that a Polo Mk4 -> 1.8Turbo conversion is...

£10,000 + VAT :0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0 :0

OMG! I should image the lupo would be a similar price!

well a whole engine conversion is going to rape u of a lot of cash as that price suggests, and i reckon the Lupo would be a harder job too, as less space!

someone has done a 1.8T Lupo haven't they, there is a pic of it on this site i think! it would be nice, but insurance company would have a fit! a mate of mine had a 318is BMW and put an M3 engine in and his insurance more than doubled!!

Turboing ur GTi, if that is what u have would be cheaper but obviously due to smaller engine not give a much power gain. I know it is a great idea modifying ur car, but it would be cheaper to get a faster car probably, big engine mods are for people who don't mind about insurance really!

just asked my mate about the M3 conversion, and he said it was about 8k all in all, which is still a lot, and it was done in a mates garage so will have been reduced price!

Turboing your Loop could bring you as much as 185 hp, but there's a majot issue: Your har hasn't a `cable-operated` throttle, but that damn thing called `e-gas`; so BB (the ones from the 300 `hp-loop`) haven't started selling their kit. I dunno what the problems are, but the pedal is as it seems the biggest problem.

I think buying a faster car is the best answer. I have been looking at buying a sunday car. keeping loopy standard but might be buying a replica lotus 7 with a 2 litre ford engine for £2000. `0-60` about 6 secs wicked fun and insured third party limited to 4000 miles makes for cheap insurance. They also make good track cars. You wont belive what you can get for £2000 plus it was someones pride and joy so well looked after.

back to the original topic, I don't think that the 1.8T engine will fit on the loop, the SDi is too big to fit aircon -->that's why i aint got it sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> )

The 1.8T *will* fit in the Loop, its been done!

Rudy, interesting point about the throttle, is that why is a bit soft, and not instantly responsive?

If you sit there with no throttle, then quickly "tap" the gas, there is a delay before it actually kicks in the revs...

I guess that's the reason why it feels like that. ALthough there are cars that have the e(lectronic)-gas, like the m3,or m5, but they have a throttle for each cylinder, and everything has been `set-up` so that the response IS fast. I know that mine isn't to responsivem, but I blame this on the fact that my engine is a diesel; they don't like to rev too much smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> (the whole compression/ignition cycle on a diesel is much more slower than on a petrol engine)

QUOTE(Lupo TDI)
the whole compression/ignition cycle on a diesel is much more slower than on a petrol engine

I agree with you biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Didn't know they have already fitted a 1.8T on a loop... yeah BB i forgot, but that's not for everyday driving is it? tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> only for showing off wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

That's wat makes me sick bout that car: Every magazine who have tested it reported that it's so `well-done` that in fact this is its biggest pProblem. I mean, peak torque is at 2600 rpm (410 Nm!!!!!) and the clutch is as every 1.8T's, so everyday driving isn't really a problem. You feel so comfortable in it (except for the seats and harnesses, b/c you can't even reach the window openers as it seems...), that you think you're driving normal whereas you're probably already over the speed limit...It brakes are excellent, the suspension is `GT-like`, and the engine isn't that badass, you know, the turbo won't blast on at a certain rpm figure but it's progressive...

It's probably the fuel consumption that sucks smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If it wasn't that expensive, I would try to convince my father to sell his Audi biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

a 20vt lump will cost from 2.5 to about 4k ave. that will or at least should include engine/box/shafts/wiring etc. possibly clocks etc. add to that things like changing hubs, gear shift custom exhaust, extra wiring etc and the price begins to climb. 10k i would think so, but `7-8k` most likely cos ur gonna have to mod susp/brakes etc to get engineers report for insurance. so is it worth it? better to think about charger conversions etc, get them done right and your engine will last and put out serious horses and torque.

if you just want a riot get nos, fairly cheap - >2k for prof fitting and tuning and u can have all the fun u like.

AmD were salling 1.8T engine G/box and loom for just under £3k.

Problem you have with the Lupo is where the engine is mounted - go and have a look MAtt - you'll notice it is mounted off front side inside the wings not near the base as more conventional engines - so you would need to fabricate new mounts and mounting points - subframe perhaps?

Sure you can have my engine £28k to you.

QUOTE(MattyB)
Rudy, interesting point about the throttle, is that why is a bit soft, and not instantly responsive?

If you sit there with no throttle, then quickly "tap" the gas, there is a delay before it actually kicks in the revs...

hmz, imho, its engeneered if for safety.. theres lag too when you come off the throttle, maybe to avoid sudden liftoff oversteer coming off the gas in a fast turn. the pug 106 gti / saxo vts is/are said (EVO) to be more responsive and thus more violent in that department