Exhaust systems - Exhaust systems

Alvaro

In the UK the deisel "SPORT" does not get the centre exit exhaust, and I notice that all deisel cars over here almost always have the exhaust pointing towards the ground, I am not sure if this is legislation, technical or just "fashion for diesels"

I guess there is no reason why you could not have a twin exhaust in the centre pointing a little less towards the ground......

Nope, i still wanna now if i can get a double exhaust for my "ickle" 1.7 SDi smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I really think that those are the best looking ones, coming from the middle oh yeah!! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

QUOTE(Black Lupo)
dya no what sorta exhaust system i cld get for my ickle 1ltre???

Technically you should be able to have any exhaust you want. Companies like Power FLow, Stealth Systems will make you up absolutely anything that you want, Single, twin, twin single, twin twin, single centre.

If you want centre exit no reason why you cannot get the rear valence / bumper from a sport with the single rear centre exit and have a custom exhaust made to fit.

You decide what you want and go from there;)

Guest Russell

Some of the deisels have a spare wheel well which is why on the Sport the exhaust is at the side rather than the centre as on Petrol Sport versions. The GTi has the battery in the boot rather than a wheel well, which gives the clearance to run the twin tail exhaust.

The company I work for will be developing a TDi high flow exhaust in the future but currently we only have one for the GTi- I will let you know when I have more information.

DEAR russell

ahem, you have a free flowing exhaust for the GTi????

thats nice... could you give the full lowdown of how that works.. does the eprom need to be reprogrammed? does it need/is compatible with a K&N filter??

where can we get it?

do you have belgium outfitters?

DEAR Axel biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

No, your ECU does not need to be reprogrammed for either an exhaust or Induction kit.

Exhausts don't need to be "compatible" with K&N because they are at opposite ends of the combustion process and aren't directly linked to each other.

Performance Exhausts are "plug and play" (if they were made by Microsoft, that is) - you just stick em on, and away you go! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If you have a CAT replacement (or by pass) then it might need `re-tuning`....no sure. Doubt it though.

hallowed be thy name..

"`Matty-Bee`"> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

the `cat-bypass` thats an interesting one, because in my meager insight i seem to have retained thats where the most gains lie. what i remember also from reading countless `bike-mags` is that some engines could have freer flowing filter + exhaust stuck on because they either run a little "lean" or "rich" (forgot wich one, would be logical to have them running "rich" because then you could have more fuel burnt by the extra oxigen therefore gaining power.. is this correct, oh Lord ? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />) already therefore needed no more tuning.. but those were carburetted engines, no injection ones like the loop.. so what you are basically saying is that the ECU is programmed to deal with more oxigen coming in, getting more fuel injected, or do they run rich as standard too? and the exhaust merely reduces bhp lost to pushing the gasses out of the engine, therefore gaining them for preformance?

questions questions..

Humble Lupo owner wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

You are right, the CAT is a major `bottle-neck`, and gains of ~5bhp can be unleashed by removing the CAT. Also improves throttle response.

The same goes for induction kits and exhausts. They are more free flowing, allowing gases to flow in and out of the engine more easily, allowing the engine to breath!

Imagine trying to run with a stuffed up nose - makes it more difficult...(you could make a joke about "exhaust" gases here too, but I won't biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />)

The gains are more along the lines of responsiveness rather than BHP.

As for the ECU, it should automatically adjust the fuel/air ratio mixture to keep them balanced. I say "should"....I'm not totally sure.

Hmm...I thought CAT wasn't anymore the "bottleneck" of the exhaust? Maybe it's different on every car? Oh dear, we have to... TRY! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'm pretty sure there's no ECU recalibration needed, as it isn't for the K&N. I guess hte car feels whar's right to do smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> We have intelligent cars wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

For the TDI: It seems that a simple pipe could be run from the cat on, without any kind of silencer without raising the noise level but gaining a bit in response, as the turbine could spin up more easily, because there wouldn't be any gases to brake them...you understand what I mean? (I think I'm writing english like a pro there smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> too many `x-rays` ion my head...)Remus now offers an exhaust for the 1.4 TDI, just check their homepage: www.remus.at they have also some for the 1.7 SDI and the 1.2 TDI.

I wanted to fit the 1.4 16v 101hp exhaust on mine (single, mid exhaust), but: no way, my spare tyre "box" is way too big (I have the spare tyre in the same size as the original ones, a nice 14" wheel smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />), same problem with the GTI exhaust: that's a real big thing!!! You `gti-drivers` don't have spare wheels and therefore there's loads of room underneath *i'mjealous* ???

I guess I'll have to learn soldering (in august I'll do a course, so be prepared for some surprises smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> )

from my knowledge k&n etc need no adjustment as airflow/air temp sensors are after filter and ecu compensates for the flows no matter whats in front. exhausts are slightly different as u have lamda sensors on ur cat which monitor o2/HC levels and the cat adjusts fueling based on this. if u remove cat and use bypass pipe that has lamda probe fitting it will help but remember cats build up heat and have running temps to enable cat process which bypass pipes dont do, so they dont work as well with ecus. better option is to use 100 cell cat or something similar, faster flowing but still a cat and better on ur lamda