Newbie with a question.

Robmarriott

Hello everyone.

I'm new here, been registered a while, but not posted until today.

I'm looking to replace my car (a shitbox 03 plate corsa blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> ) with a Lupo of some sort, but I have a problem.

I've always had quick cars (until this last one) so I'm not sure what model to get.

I have a budget of 4.5k, and insurance isn't a problem.

Looking at Autotrader, it seems that I can afford anything but a GTi, but after looking at parkers, it seems that only the 1.4 Sport would interest me.

However, my friend has just got himself a 1.4TDi S Arosa Mk2, and it's quick, so I'm now wondering which one to go for...

Another friend of mine used to have a TDi Lupo, with a tuning box or some sort of chip, and about 100bhp.

So, which would be quicker? 1.4 Sport, or a tuning boxed 1.4 TDi?

Sorry for the essay laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Cheers.

Robin.

Well ive got a 1.4TDi Arosa and i think its quite quick for a standard car, and with a remap it can get over 100BHP.

The TDi is about 2 seconds slower than the sport to 60 in standard form, but remaped would be a different story.

Id go for the TDi, well i did, but because its more economical, has mountains of torque and it just a great all round car, also £50 road tax a year, carnt be bad.

And go for an Arosa, the better looking of the two IMO (oh i shouldnt have said that coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />) but also cheaper than the Lupo and better spec'd

Carnt go wrong with either though and they will last forever if looked after.

Ive not driven a sport but i understand that the power doesnt kick in till late in the rev range, where the TDi is on the power at about 2K RPM, but it obviously doesnt rev as high with it being a diesel and they never do.

Chris

depends how far you go with it... Al's chipped TDI I think is comfortably quicker than my standard sport, but I think Al has made some other slight mods to give him somewhere in the region of 115-120bhp and got a decent chip from a respectable tuning company, he'll be able to tell you more.

From what i've heard on here of the "tuning boxes" on ebay, they are best avoided.

I can't have an Arosa, my mate would kill me laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I'm used to revvy 16v petrol engines, so the power coming in high up would be normal to me I suppose, TDi would be odd :S

What things has the Arosa got that the Lupo hasn't? (I might be tempted to get one and put up with it matching my mate's if the spec is considerably better)

Cheers for the reply btw.

depends how far you go with it... Al's chipped TDI I think is comfortably quicker than my standard sport, but I think Al has made some other slight mods to give him somewhere in the region of 115-120bhp and got a decent chip from a respectable tuning company, he'll be able to tell you more.

From what i've heard on here of the "tuning boxes" on ebay, they are best avoided.

Ooooh, that sounds like the better option then, especially with more power than the Sport laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The tuning box my friend had was an MTM one, not an ebay one wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

edited to say: From the sport side of the arguement, Ive had two years of happiness with my sport, they are slightly quicker than official vw figures suggest reaching 0-60 in around 9.3seconds (autocar somehow got 8.8seconds, but I dont think ive ever managed that)

The sport typically gives in normal driving (my normal driving includes some occasional blasts) 42-45mpg dependant on condition of engine, oil and fuel used. The fuel tank is small, so this equates to around 260miles to a tank.

The power in the petrol sport is produced over 4000rpm, but for me that gives a relaxed nature around town, and means that out in the countryside a few gearchanges, and the power is right there (not a huge amount, but good for a 1.4) It also has quite a nice exhaust note under load.

The sport has all round discs, and a centre exit exhaust, and I believe thats the only differences apart from engines between that and the diesel.

The Diesel and the petrol are both good cars in my opinion, and it all depends on what you think best suits you, test driving both would help I reckon smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The arosas have remote central locking, Lupos do not, This lowers the insurance group of the Arosa Sport to 5, while as the Lupo Sport is 6.

Apart from that identical, lupos have a slightly more textured (rubbery plastic, in place of harder plastic) interior, and blue backlighting, but I believe the seat red backlighting is pretty cool 2 smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Lupo Sports from pre-late 2002, have a nasty grey interior (mine has one) while as I believe arosas do not smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think the diesels are both the same and in insurance group 3 or 4

Hope this helps

Pete

The arosas have remote central locking, Lupos do not, This lowers the insurance group of the Arosa Sport to 5, while as the Lupo Sport is 6.

Apart from that identical, lupos have a slightly more textured (rubbery plastic, in place of harder plastic) interior, and blue backlighting, but I believe the seat red backlighting is pretty cool 2 smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Lupo Sports from pre-late 2002, have a nasty grey interior (mine has one) while as I believe arosas do not smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I think the diesels are both the same and in insurance group 3 or 4

Hope this helps

Pete

Yep thats right, i think its only the RCL the arosa has and the lupo doesnt, not a massive arguement for buying one then laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

The dashboard is a slightly different texture, and very slight, but both the arosa and lupo have the same quality feel. Yeah the seats backlighting is red, matching the swithes etc. Arosas also have a grey interior before early 2003, my TDi has one.

Lupo sport insurance is group 6, arosa sport is group 5, and both lupo and arosa TDis are group 4, but as you said insurance isnt a problem then that doesnt matter too much.

Price wise, the TDi Lupo is probably the second most expensive lupo to buy, GTi being first obviously, and prices are probably £1K over the petrol lupo sport. However Arosa TDis are cheaper than lupo TDis

Chris

Unless your doing mega-miles the price premium for the tdi might not be worth it - that said I would expect it to hold it's value better. If your used to using higher revs then the petrol version should be fine - it's still very economical and cheap to insure.

With the petrol versions you get the centre exit exhaust and ABS as standard - I'm not sure the diesel's had ABS as standard?

Personally I would go for VW's version - I think the interior plastics are slightly better quality and I prefer the blue backlit dials. The VW is also slightly heavier model for model and I believe partly due to more sound insulation . . . also aircon was never available with the facelifted Arosa.

welcome to the club smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

both sports (petrol and diesel) are good cars however as beens mentioned the diesel gives most power lowerer down the revs due to the huge amount of torque and the sport engine is at its best at 4-5000 rpm.

depends what you want from the car and what you enjoy driving. i much prefer petrol engines but al is a diehard diesel nutter!

whatever you choose, enjoy!

Jen x

both sports (petrol and diesel) are good cars however as beens mentioned the diesel gives most power lowerer down the revs due to the huge amount of torque and the sport engine is at its best at 4-5000 rpm.

Bah! the sport engine is at its best between 4-6750rpm tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> lol no wonder you got rid of your sport quick... all that power missing tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I believe maximum power is produced at 6000rpm!

hehe smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Pete

Bah! the sport engine is at its best between 4-6750rpm tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> lol no wonder you got rid of your sport quick... all that power missing tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> I believe maximum power is produced at 6000rpm!

hehe smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Pete

noooooooo you misread smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> i meant the optimum power starts to kick in at around 4000 to 5000rpm smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Jen

and as for tuning the sport petrol depends what you want to do. from induction kits, remaps, zausts, decats etc to TB's, turbo, supercharger, port and polish the head, cams etc etc

Arosa over Loop?! Bah!

Anyway, If you choose a TDI then yep they are very good on fuel. I did a 400mile trip darn sarf the other day and used a full tank, with an average speed of 75-80mph. And a tank of fuel is around £28. Of course little trips here and there wont be overly economical on fuel but hey, you cant have everything.

Remember in cold weather diesels take longer to heat up, so keep some gloves handy.

I didnt know that as standard Arosa's had remote central locking. Im just fortunate to have it on my Lupo lol. Mwahahaha

As someone mentioned, tuning boxes...leave them alone! Save up the pennies and get a profesional remap.

Edited by Picola

The TDi is about 2 seconds slower than the sport to 60 in standard form, but remaped would be a different story.

Are you sure?

The Tuned TDI I saw try to take one a standard GTI and Sport got its ass kicked by both the cars at Santa Pod.

So much so that hes not been on the forum since!

You need economy get the oil burner.

You want a car to wizz around in get the Sport, its as simple as that.

The oil burner owners will tell you different though..

In fact better still take a couple of test drives.

• 1 month later...