Digital Volt Meter install - UPDATE

Well as some know, I like to mod and play with ideas DSC00019.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00020.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Section cut out of coin holder unit for gauge to slot in........never used it anyway DSC00021.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Gauge fitted in for testing

DSC00022.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00025.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00027.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Excess/section cut out used to make some furry side panels.......not fitted properly here:

DSC00023.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00024.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Tested the unit with a 9V battery......the blue is much stronger in the flesh

DSC00029.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00030.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Still need to wire it into the car and finish the install, but thought I would share my progress wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

It will be wired up so that its read out is direct from the battery, but the display lighting will work off the interior light dimmer switch!

Edited by mike_m

What a great mod biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I think what would be better if you could paint that white surround black or replace it, it looks like you can unscrew the board to get to it easy enough. but still looks great.

I'll be setting up guages for my lupo over the summer but they will probably all be round analogue ones and i've notgota dash so would have to fabricate some sort of mount for them.

My dad would love this lol, anything electronic and he's off...

I like it though, different and using your initiative!

but the display lighting will work off the interior light dimmer switch!

Could you not wire it to the ignition switches for the stereo? The ones that turn on the headunit when the ignition is on and dim the backlight on the headunit when the lights are turned on? Or is that your plan?

Edited by lupodave

Very nice modification. As always it is the simple things that are usually the nicest. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Got it fitted in the car and all is working, but the back light at the moment comes on with the rest of the unit so its backlit during the day........think I might get another one that has bright red characters and a black background as an alternative, but we will see smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> so this one will be up for sale if anyone is interested for £11 delivered......half what I paid

Its quite interesting to see the voltage rise and drop slightly as you turn things on and off in the car to see the stresses on the battery and alternator........GEEK I know laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by mike_m

Well I have been tinkering again with it as the blue was not a perfect match after all at night, so with a few coloured Quality Street wrappers from the xmas tin, I managed to filter the blue light to get a better match laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Just need to cover the white/cream border with a black covering and all is sorted

I wanted to fit a volt meter too - gadgetyness appealed and I was just interested in what might show blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Is it complicated for someone with limited electrical knowledge to do? Or would I be better getting something else to display it?

(please excuse all the questions! Love gadgets)

Reasonably easy to install if you have a multimeter and some patience to find the right wires.

I also needed the multimeter to calibrate the new volt meter as it was not correct when i got it.

Analogue dials or digital gauges will be the same to install, but I prefer digital as the gauges are smaller.

Will take a pic of mine installed soon......may be selling it if interested as have another plan to get more digital gauges into the same space (ammeter, oil temp etc)and the other ones are not available in this style unfortunatly.

Got some pics of the gauge in the car now:

DSC00032.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Notice the red mood lighting that comes from under the cup holder to shine down onto the centre console and Audi TT alu A frames DSC00033.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00034.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Been installing some LED moodlights in the car too, and here is one in the door handle cup

DSC00035.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Love the dash, not sure on the handles, but its difficut to tell from such a poor photo tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Fancy making me one? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'll send you my dash piece if I still have it?

It was dark and my phone camera smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Not a problem mate with the gauge!

Need the dash piece posted and £22 + the £2.50 delivery charge for the gauge as I will need to order it........will start to save the quality street wrapers that I used laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> no seriously wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by mike_m

Thanks.......did the handles as people in my car can never seem to find the handle to get out when its dark.

All the extra lights run off the dash dimmer switch so the brightness is adjustable too smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Wow, good job! I love gadgety things like that, expecially when they look OEM like yours do shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

When you added the extra lights did you just connect into the illumination loom thats running around the car (the grey wire with a blue stripe)? Also is the brown wire a common ground? Dont worry I'm not copying, just checking I've identified the wires correctly smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Jon