Buying a Lupo....need advice

Mould

Hey guys, been lookin throught the forums recently (nice work btw) as i have fallen in love with a lupo 1.4 sport(red)1999 that is in my area. i know the owner and he has offered the car to me for £1000.... it has 130k miles, but for a first car shouldnt be too much of a problem?

the car is well looked after and is selling it as he has 2 red 1.4 sports and recently bought a black gti.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Kenneth

That is quite high mileage, but a very good price.

Well check the usualy:

-serviced in the right mileages?

-cambelt been changed?

-clutch feel ok, no slipping or juddering

-etc

one thing to check is if it crunches going into gear or the clutch pedal feels a bit odd as the pedal box can be an issue.

What i usually do is check what kind of parts have been pt on, does the exhaust look like its a vw part or is it just a cheapy, has it got good brand tyres on and are they all the same, etc. It gives you a chance to see if any work which it has needed doing has been carried out how it should be or as cheap as possible.

If all is done it should have loads of miles left in it smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The car is still in working order as it is still used as a run around, im not very clued up on cars but im guessing that the car is slightly modded as it is v.fast compared to a stock version. I will ask about the tires etc and will find out if anything needs to be done to it.

He also offerd me an 02(i think) lupo sport with about 30k miles for around 3 grand. but this will be my first car and dont intend on spending much on it. thanks for advice, vey helpfull smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Kenneth

Welcome to the club mate

1k sounds like a great price, despite the mileage, but i also think the 3 grand price is a great one too and you shouldn't get any wear and tear problems with a car that has only done 30k miles (fingers crossed!). Plus if he is your mate, i wouldn't expect he would rip you off or try to hide anything from you either

Yeah they are both great prices, i would ove to buy the newer lupo but the cheaper one will do me (plus the older one is faster) tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> .He was actually a mechanic for a couple of years and has removed the restricter and i have been in the car at over 135 mph, which i think is a higher top end than a Gti ??

thanks again for advice

Kenneth

Oh and another thing...what kinda upgrades can be bought for the car ? im not very clued up when it comes to cars. dont wanna spend loads of money tho..

Kenneth

He was actually a mechanic for a couple of years and has removed the restricter and i have been in the car at over 135 mph, which i think is a higher top end than a Gti ??

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Its not geared for 135mph!

tbh i wouldnt know what any performance parts would do but i have been in the car with that speed on the clock...u may not believe it .

what would a pedal box do ?

kenneth

The pedal box was designed to fail at the welds in the event of a smash.

But they fail long before that!

Do a search, theres loads of threads.

Reference the 135mph (un-restricted) performance, something is not right.

What size wheels are on the car?

What has he done to the car to de-restrict it?

A sport it pretty highly tuned from the factory, it is not restricted by any means.

To me mate, the car sounds like a wrong one, but its a grand!

It will cost you between £150 - £300 to have the pedal box replaced/repaired.

130k miles is a lot.

If it was me, Id go for the lower mileage one.

I am genuinely interested what he has done to the high mileage one though if you can find out?

I will ask him when i see him nxt... probs at the w/e. i would love to buy the more xpensive car but im not sure if i can afford it... will do my best tho.

i am intrested to kno what he has done now too, thanks. will try and give him a fone tmorrow wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> (thursday).

any of the cars would do me really , there well looked after (i know that much) tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> .

Kenneth

If i was you I'd just be very careful indeed with the cheaper one as if its been modified, and hes being doing 135mph in it then its probably been ragged to within an inch of its life and ready to break!

If i was you I'd just be very careful indeed with the cheaper one as if its been modified, and hes being doing 135mph in it then its probably been ragged to within an inch of its life and ready to break!

Yeah i know, im gna find out whats been done, engine wise. i know its been lowerd , splitter and alloys. thats all i kno bout any mods :/ . will still be good for the money . i hope sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

lol, just found out ....exhaust system ,cams, chip, air filter and bigger pistons.

there is more but my mate doesnt quite know (he isnt the one selling the car), and have been told i could even get bout 200bhp if i invest more £ in it ?? is it posible ??i obviously dont know much lol..

• 1 month later...