1.0 litre how many miles from a tank

Enigma

Well my next tank is due for filling, with it finishing up at about 285 miles to the tank (lights been on for the last two or three litres I reckon.

So again, its not giving me back what I`d concider, good Mpg for something thats main party piece is being ultra thrifty.

Just done the calculation and its now averaging 51.82mpg.

I`ve done the redex thing, so it looks like the next port of call is getting the tracking looked at, just in case the cars doing 285 miles in two seperate directions biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i achieved my worst ever in my TDi, but i dont check every time i fill up. It did about 335 miles on a full tank and worked out at 53MPG.

Ive just had my tracking and camber done, what a hassle that was. I think im going to have to start to drive more economically and see if i can get any better. When i first got it i was getting 63 MPG average, then it was going down to around 60 then 58 and now 53, i think its because i was used to driving a 1.0 so drove it carefully but now im used to my TDi i just drive it like i did the 1.0, and thrash it quite a bit. swerve.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":swerve:" border="0" alt="swerve.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

Well today i thought i would see what MPG i could get, i did around 50 miles, at about 55-60mph and i got 65.5MPG, not totallt impredded because i have got 74 MPG on two occasions, and i wasnt really trying for the 74MPG, but it was on a long motorway drive each time.

Going to try some diesel treatment and see if i can get any better after that.

Chris

i've been getting 160-180 miles outta the last 2 tanks but then i have been using the super unleaded rather than the normal stuff (surprised at the difference it makes to the performance)

and yes you have started something now! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

• 3 months later...

Old thread i know but....

Im only usually insured for my TDi since ive got it and have only used the 1.0 once since september, but i thought for a bit of a change id add my 1.0S Arosa onto my policy for a couple of weeks to get some use out of it, it also saves it from my mums driving laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> .

Well i brimmed the tank and ive only got about 70 miles on the first quater, my TDi does 110 at least! ive had 140 and without using the expansion space too. I forgot how much these things drink, usually it does 38 mpg round the town with my mum using it, im not sure i will better that at this rate.

But its probably a bit choked up from all the town driving though, so i will see how it goes in the next few days and add some miles to it.

Its good to be driving it again, actually i forgot how good the little 1.0 engines are, it pulls well, better than i remembered really, its also quite a bit lighter than my TDi and is a bit more chuckable in the corners, although it doesnt seem to have quite the same level of grip and rolls a bit more.

The only think is it feels cruel to drive at 70+ since its doing so many revs where im used to my low reving TDi now, it also drinks loads and loads at 70, 60 is a better speed for it.

Overall i prefer my TDi obviosuly, but there is just something about my little 1.0S that i like, and its the reason why i still have it and have put up with all the problems ive had with it, which are luckily all gone away and it now goes like a dream. I guess its a combination of being a supprise xmas pressie and that ive had it for over 2 years, so im attatched to it blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> .

It still feels like a new car too, mind it has lots of new bits including an engine. Its a 03 plate with 36.5K and it feels and looks like a new car, I think the way im going ill be keeping it forever rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Chris

PS - sorry for the essay but im bored laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

had a quick look through the owners manual and it recomends changing at 2000 revs wot the hell you would be in fifth gear by about 30

Call me a liar but i once took an ex girlfriend down to Chester (from Newcastle) and got 454 miles out the tank. This was done by sitting about a meter off a few trucks there and back for said miles and it was - well - not very exciting but as i was locked in a competition with a mate who also had a 1.0 arosa we figured economy was the best challenge as whoever was behind at the glorious 105mph could go faster and bounce at 107 in 5th grrrrrrrr. How sad it was was that i had bought 3 more space savers pumped them right up and taped up all appertures so it was as NASCAR as possible, changed all the filters and removed the rear seats. But a point was proven and 55 or was it 65mpg still stands as best run ever (between us) only i can't remember whether it was 55 or 65. or was it 56 - Who cares fact is good engine for its day! I now have no Street Cred

Call me a liar but i once took an ex girlfriend down to Chester (from Newcastle) and got 454 miles out the tank. This was done by sitting about a meter off a few trucks there and back for said miles and it was - well - not very exciting but as i was locked in a competition with a mate who also had a 1.0 arosa we figured economy was the best challenge as whoever was behind at the glorious 105mph could go faster and bounce at 107 in 5th grrrrrrrr. How sad it was was that i had bought 3 more space savers pumped them right up and taped up all appertures so it was as NASCAR as possible, changed all the filters and removed the rear seats. But a point was proven and 55 or was it 65mpg still stands as best run ever (between us) only i can't remember whether it was 55 or 65. or was it 56 - Who cares fact is good engine for its day! I now have no Street Cred

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> running on 4 space savers! is that legal? i know i wouldnt want to try that, its bad enough with one on, so noisy and absolutely no grip what so ever.

That is a lot of miles from one tank though, id never do that, mine will be on about 250 when i fill up this time. But they are such a good town car, just zip through the gears and its quite nippy round town, better round town than the TDi is, that takes ages to warm up.

just read through this thread, apart from the slightly alarming bit at the end there is just one thing id like to say to everyone:

I had a bit of a scary incident last year braking where the back end suddenly took on a life of its own (circumstances: van pulls out to overtake bike, with me coming in the other direction) braked, controlled the wild back end, and averted a nasty accident, but was quite shaken.

Anyway, I used to have my tyre pressures the same all round, but that day I realised why VW specify slightly more pressure in the fronts than the backs!

Im not totally sure what difference it makes, but i've braked hard since then, with the recommended tyre pressures in the front and back, and I havent had a reoccurance of the wobbles!

So personally myself, id recommend always a little more in the front than the back, as specified on the fuel cap smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Pete

just read through this thread, apart from the slightly alarming bit at the end there is just one thing id like to say to everyone:

I had a bit of a scary incident last year braking where the back end suddenly took on a life of its own (circumstances: van pulls out to overtake bike, with me coming in the other direction) braked, controlled the wild back end, and averted a nasty accident, but was quite shaken.

Anyway, I used to have my tyre pressures the same all round, but that day I realised why VW specify slightly more pressure in the fronts than the backs!

Im not totally sure what difference it makes, but i've braked hard since then, with the recommended tyre pressures in the front and back, and I havent had a reoccurance of the wobbles!

So personally myself, id recommend always a little more in the front than the back, as specified on the fuel cap smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Pete

My 1.0 Arosa says 30 front and 38 rear. Thats with 5 people and luggage, but it doesnt say in the fuel cap what to run for 3 people or whatever. Ive never had 38 in the rear, its just far too much, i usually have mine at 33 and 31.

my fuel cap suggests 28 all round is that not right!!!

Thants a bit low, mine says 28 all round in my cap to, but thats for 175/65/14 tyres i think, you should have about 33 front and 31 rear, seems to work well for me anyway.

I guess the front pressure gets higher, the heavier the engine gets smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I really ought to make an extra label to go on my filler cap, I always forget what they should be for 15" alloys blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Interesting reading chaps especially Cardafts comparison of the 1.0 and tdi, makes me think the 1.0 might not be as bad as I fear (whenever it is I get it back from the bodyshop mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> ). It sounds fairly likely it'll do 50mpg on a gentle m-way trundle which is what my daily commute is. Problem is on the same journey my Polo GT is doing 45mpg driven with consideration for economy whatsoever blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I'm always undecided about what to do with the 1.0, sell it and get a tdi or keep it because it's only done 13k but this thread makes me think it may not seem as underpowered and be more economical than I'm expecting. If I keep it I've then got to decide whether to leave it standard or not blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I'm never happy rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Just rembered summat for comparison; took the Pastate (J reg 2.0 8v, 155k) to work, left in plenty of time so I didn't have to rush, mfa showed 51.4mpg after the 38 mile trip there biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Left late to come home howerever so did 80-85 rather than 50-55 and it showed 39.8, overall 40.0 for the last 3300 miles. Quite happy with that cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

ooo I had no idea the tyre pressure vary car to car! id go with whatever ratio is on the fuel cap as thats put there for a reason.

Sports are 30 front and 29 rear I think, but that changes when carrying heavy loads.

Seems slightly low to me, mine says that too, but i just tried out a few dfferent tyre pressures for a while and decided what was best for me, i also find different tyre brands work better with different pressures. But as a general rule yep go by the fuel cap.

Interesting reading chaps especially Cardafts comparison of the 1.0 and tdi, makes me think the 1.0 might not be as bad as I fear (whenever it is I get it back from the bodyshop mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> ). It sounds fairly likely it'll do 50mpg on a gentle m-way trundle which is what my daily commute is. Problem is on the same journey my Polo GT is doing 45mpg driven with consideration for economy whatsoever blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I'm always undecided about what to do with the 1.0, sell it and get a tdi or keep it because it's only done 13k but this thread makes me think it may not seem as underpowered and be more economical than I'm expecting. If I keep it I've then got to decide whether to leave it standard or not blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> I'm never happy rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Just rembered summat for comparison; took the Pastate (J reg 2.0 8v, 155k) to work, left in plenty of time so I didn't have to rush, mfa showed 51.4mpg after the 38 mile trip there biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Left late to come home howerever so did 80-85 rather than 50-55 and it showed 39.8, overall 40.0 for the last 3300 miles. Quite happy with that cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Nope the 1.0 really isnt as bad as most people make out. Ive had mine for 2.5 years now, ive had my TDi for about 7 months, so the rest of the time i was driving my 1.0. I was never bored with its performance really, ok somtimes on country lanes you need to pass something in a short bit of road and you carnt but day to day driving its easily livable with.

I find at 60 it uses very little fuel at all, but 70+ and you can virtually watch the guage go down. The engine is fairly lively and pulls all the way up the rev range quite strongly. Its the perfect town car, very nippy in town and i just zip through the gears. Also it has quite a bit of tourque and low gearing means you dont have to change gear too often round town.

Out of town you need to work the engine hard, and it doesnt like hills too much. Not sure if id go back to my 1.0 from my TDi for everyday use now as the TDi has spoilt me but they are really great little engines.

Yo have to remember though its only a little 50BHp engine in a relitively heavy car so its not going to be quick by anymeans but its idea for town use, commuting and the odd long distance trips.

The longest drive i did in it in one day way 400 miles, it coped fine, as all other lupos/arosas are, very comfortable i could sit in those seats all day laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . At around 60-70 there is still some pull in 5th gear as it is quite low geared.

Thats good going from a 2.0 car, you must be a very economical driver. We have a 2.0 Auto Citroen Xm and the best we have ever had wit that was about 42 MPG, which we thought was good from that laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

You're getting me sold on the 1.0 smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I compared a mk1 Polo and the 1.0 yesterday and you see the similarities as soon as you sit inside, both basic and stripped-down feeling, both have curved hoods over the twin clocks, both have lots of painted parts visible inside and it sounds like the 1.0 will drive similarly to an 895c.c.. The 895 always pulled willingly, it's just that it didn't pull that hard biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I was making a slightly extreme effort to see what I get of it that day but sticking to around 60-65 it does 42 or so quite easily. I must stress that's on an ideal journey though, along constant motorway journey at gentle speeds, the perfect scenario for high mpg. To me it's not a boring way to drive but a relaxing way; I prefer being unstressed when I get to work and I'd rather spend money on summat else than fuel just for getting to work reallymad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":reallymad:" border="0" alt="reallymad.gif" />

Well ive been using the 1.0 for two weeks and ive done 262 miles and i got 44MPG, not too bad really, lots of town driving and the odd out of town motorway stuff.

I thought to my self that i would try to use the 1.0 arosa for two weeks and not my TDi at all, but i failed and found my self jumping into the TDi when ever i needed to go somewhere. But i suppose 262 miles in 2 weeks as a second car isnt too bad.

it comes of my insurance in the morning so it will be w hile before i drive it again.

You're getting me sold on the 1.0 smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I compared a mk1 Polo and the 1.0 yesterday and you see the similarities as soon as you sit inside, both basic and stripped-down feeling, both have curved hoods over the twin clocks, both have lots of painted parts visible inside and it sounds like the 1.0 will drive similarly to an 895c.c.. The 895 always pulled willingly, it's just that it didn't pull that hard biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I was making a slightly extreme effort to see what I get of it that day but sticking to around 60-65 it does 42 or so quite easily. I must stress that's on an ideal journey though, along constant motorway journey at gentle speeds, the perfect scenario for high mpg. To me it's not a boring way to drive but a relaxing way; I prefer being unstressed when I get to work and I'd rather spend money on summat else than fuel just for getting to work reallymad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":reallymad:" border="0" alt="reallymad.gif" />

Why is your Arosa in the bodyshop, is it still being repaired from its accident? so you have not driven it yet then?

Yeah your possibly right, although ive never been in a mk1 polo laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . I never think that the arosa has a striped down feeling or low quality feeling, i think it feels and looks very classy, especially in silver.

Yeah i know what you mean, i drive my 1.0 at 60 usually on the motorway because thats what speed it feels happy with so i dont mind, but i dont like sitting at 60 in my TDi.

A few months ago i did a 200 mile journey and i set of doing 60 mph, half way down i got a bit bored and sat at 70 for the rest of the way, and it didnt seem to use any more fuel, and i always find that with my TDi so i dont really see the advantage of doing 60 in the diesel. Infact im sure it does a bit better as at around 2100 rpm it rumbles as you accelerate so i think its happier at 70 than 60.

I like the rumble though, it feels like your passing through some kind of sound barrier or something laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> , its hard to explain the noise lol.

Pete

Sounds like stability to me - rear brakes! No tyres ever EVER reach any kind of temperture on a road brakes only ever reach 60% of their heat range in the most heavy circumstances (not just one emergency stop). 2 bar is what i use on the track and have even then upped to 2.5 bar (see link at 3 bar fr 2 rr - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD_AtC4eoD0). Unless your running 165 55 r13s (and looking at the fact you have a sport) i find it hard to believe tyre transition has played a huge part in this. A few PSI won't afffect an Arosa on the road - but really it sounds like you were caught up in situation that you were forced to deal with and you experienced some things that were more extreme than you've had and done quite well considering you didn't bin it.

Sounds like stability to me - rear brakes! No tyres ever EVER reach any kind of temperture on a road brakes only ever reach 60% of their heat range in the most heavy circumstances (not just one emergency stop). 2 bar is what i use on the track and have even then upped to 2.5 bar (see link at 3 bar fr 2 rr - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD_AtC4eoD0). Unless your running 165 55 r13s (and looking at the fact you have a sport) i find it hard to believe tyre transition has played a huge part in this. A few PSI won't afffect an Arosa on the road - but really it sounds like you were caught up in situation that you were forced to deal with and you experienced some things that were more extreme than you've had and done quite well considering you didn't bin it.

Tyres do heat up a great deal on the road, if you reel the tyres after a long motorway run they will usually be very hot. Even more so if the tracking isnt dead on or the tyres are softer than recommended.

This is proved by if you check the tyre pressures when cold, go out for a drive and check them when you get back and they will be quite an increase, as the tyres has heated up.

Well if they only reach 60% of their heat range even in heavy breaking then why do they fade? when they are fading they are out of their heat range since they dont work anymore. They are usless after that.

I think a few PSi does affect the arosa, and infact any car. If i have 35 vPSI in the front it feels really jittery on bends and oversteers in the wet much worse. If i have 30 PSi in its much more stable but doesnt have as much feel through the wheel. So i just try different pressures to see what works for me.

Also if there is slightly too little in the back it feels a bit wollowy and much softer, but too much and its jittery again.

Thats what i find anyway, obviosuly you dont notice these things until you are 'pressing on' a bit and pushing the car, under normal driving you probably wont notice the difference.

Edited by cardaft

Mine is still consistantly getting 250-280 miles per tank biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Its gone up, *after* fitting the exhaust! Oddly....