1.0 litre how many miles from a tank

Enigma

i meant dont just put the whole bottle in with a quarter tank, if it says full tank then do full tank, or it'll be concentrated and be blown out as smoke, think about it, a full tank is cleaning the injectors for a longer time, and will get the stream right. or you could just take the injectors out and get them pressure tested and dipped, but i think thats goin a bit for for an 03

tyre pressure makes a MASSIVE difference on motorway journeys, in my mr2 i could tell when the tyres were lower cos it didnt get the same mpg. (and cos it became a bitch to handle, lol)

just cos the car feels absolutely spot on doesnt mean your trackings out, take it to get a laser setup and even if there was a little bit there you'll feel the difference. my dads drove his mondeo for 3 years and had no bother, took it for tracking cos his workplace had a christmas special (taxi) and he says its like a different car now.

2100 at 70 souns right, the work fiesta td does bout the same, take it it redlines at 5k? if thats the case then if its like the ford the turbo kicks at 1500

What tyre pressure should i be running at then ?

The redline is 5k (I think, without checking)

I`ve had the tracking out on a couple of my cars, due to having to drive on dirt tracks to work (still do for 500yards) and each time its handled like a bitch at speed, but i might get it checked if the mpg does not improve after checking everything else out.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 30 all round usually and i consider that quite soft (for the 185/55/14 size), i think the book says 33 all round, but i would say 32 all round, thats what im going to try.

Chris

Edited by cardaft

Mines a 1.0l 2001 and I can usually fill my tank with between £20 and £25 depending on whether touching red or in red. I do town driving mostly and can get between 280 and 300 from a full tank.

any explnations for my fuel consumption then guys given that alot seem to be getting 300 to a tank. I do drive it quite quickly and let the engine rev to maybe 3k before changing but only once the engines warm

any explnations for my fuel consumption then guys given that alot seem to be getting 300 to a tank. I do drive it quite quickly and let the engine rev to maybe 3k before changing but only once the engines warm

Well try the above, tyre pressures etc,

how often does it get serviced?

Does it get oil flushed when being serviced?

Has the fuel filter ever been changed?

Have the spark plugs been changed?

You could try a petrol treatment such as forte or redex.

Also depends on where you drive, town / motorway

Also 3K isnt much considering they sit at nearly 4K at 70.

Chris

Edited by cardaft

any explnations for my fuel consumption

right think of it this way you want a faster car so you will most likely be trying to get as much power out of your car as you can and trying to hear the induction kit also wont help with the lead right foot which with a 1.0 means keeping it in gears longer but to some people they have a 1.0 and expect no performance from it and potter about which is why they get better MPG

and for information sake my 1.4 8v sitting bang on 70mph is at 3100 revs which is why motorway fuel consumption isnt great but also means its permanently on power biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

wayne

3000 rpm and your getting that bad a fuel economy i'm getting yours when i'm changing at 5000 rpm! and 3000 rpm is where the power is!

try the above sugguestions if they dont improve matters then it needs looking at!

put it this way my old cinq i used to always be revving past 6500 and a few times changed up just before the limiter at 7200 and hit the limiter once ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> that was on a 96 car and as far as i know its still going it started first time every time and ran smooth the only problem it ever had was it needed a new tappet chest but that was before i brought it

this 'if you drive it hard it will break' and vice a versa is nonsense i never broke my cinq yet my mums 54 reg arosa had to have a new engine after a year and that never gets driven that hard and Cardafts 1.0 also had a new engine in

just make sure you let it warm up first before heavy thrashing and check the oil regular and top up as necesary and do an oil change every 6-10k using a decent oil and it SHOULD run for ever

wayne

i drove it sensibly before imanage tohit the 400miles to a tank! it can be done its just boring!

so i aint the only one , and i know what you mean by boring , i was being overtaken by old people in micras , it was sooooooooooooooooooooo depressing

so i aint the only one , and i know what you mean by boring , i was being overtaken by old people in micras , it was sooooooooooooooooooooo depressing

yeah it was depressing as hell watching them all fly past! i only take it up to 5000 when it is warmed up and i need the extra revs but as subtle modder said regular oil changes and mantainence it wont matter how hard its driven so long as it is done when warm and it is looked after!and as it is checked and washed every week and fully checked every month it not gonna be thrashed @ 27000 miles (most of those done at 60mph less!) driving short journeys will do more damage than 5000 rpm!

also vw set the limiter at 6000 or thereabouts to protect the engine so 5000 is well below this, plus gti owners take theirs to 7000 and some of them beyond that blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> so why should the limit be 4000 if that was the case we'd all be doing 400miles a tank and bouncing off of the limiters just to hit 60mph! confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Edited by Mr P

I always think to myself that i will stick to 60 and see what MPG i can get, but it never happens its just boring as you say.

Well really everone will get different fuel consumption because we all drive differenty. It depends on how hard you rev it, how long you stay in each gear for, how long before you need to stop do you ease off the accelerator, and do you brake when you could have left off the accelerator instead? among other things.

Economical driving is usually about trying to use the brakes less, using the brakes costs money, brakes (obviously), fuel, tyres etc.

But usually the 1.0 needs thrashing to gain any progress, and because of this there is a massive difference in fuel consumption between the 1.0 and the TDi and some of the difference is that the 1.0 needs reving to make any 'speedy' progress where the TDi doesnt and most of its power is low down in the rev range anyway.

For this reason i would say that a 1.4 arosa will be more economical as it needs less revs to make the same progress and as subtle modder says it revs less at speed than the 1.0.

Chris

that as well chris it can depend on tyres and load in the car and weather , with the wee one litres as you know a head wind CAN make a difference

Oh yes, i wonder how much effect different tyre brands actually have on MPG, i know some arosas came with firestone fuel savers from new so i suppose those would be among the best.

Chris

had a quick look through the owners manual and it recomends changing at 2000 revs wot the hell you would be in fifth gear by about 30

Yep I'm in 5th at 30, doing about 1100rpm I think. Its impossible to accelerate though, have to change down to go any faster.

I seem to be averaging about 42 mpg at the moment, its been going down progressively since I got the car. angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> I have been trying to drive more economically, even got overtaken by a hearse yesterday! Just get sooo bored though!

Right, I`m down the first quarter of my second tank and its given me 70 miles, so if it keeps that up I`m looking at 280 miles for a tank with the TDi, which I feel is poor.

I`ll check the tyre pressures tommorrow and then I might get the tracking looked at. I drove at 60mph all the way to work and hardly use the brakes at all ( I rarely do).

Yep I'm in 5th at 30, doing about 1100rpm I think. Its impossible to accelerate though, have to change down to go any faster.

I seem to be averaging about 42 mpg at the moment, its been going down progressively since I got the car. angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> I have been trying to drive more economically, even got overtaken by a hearse yesterday! Just get sooo bored though!

My 1.0 does 30 at 1500 RPM, and does pull but not much.

42 now ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> thats not too good, probably the weather is a big factor.

Right, I`m down the first quarter of my second tank and its given me 70 miles, so if it keeps that up I`m looking at 280 miles for a tank with the TDi, which I feel is poor.

I`ll check the tyre pressures tommorrow and then I might get the tracking looked at. I drove at 60mph all the way to work and hardly use the brakes at all ( I rarely do).

Well im nearly on the first quarter with my TDi and its on 80 miles, which i dont think is brilliant either. But it has been very cold recently and it takes ages for the car to warm so i dont think the weather is helping things.

But that is quite bad for a 60mph, as mine is a mixture of town and dual carrigeway driving

same down to first quater and bang on 80. in theory should get 320 out of the tank but it never happens im on the warning light at 250

Your not doing too badly to get that, i onlt got 90 with my TDi this time.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I have at last managed to get 250 miles from a tank! Hooray - and I wasn't driving like a granny, I was still having a bit of fun (except at the end when I was on the M69, having had the warning light on for 40 odd miles.....did about 50mph the whole way laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ).

.....did have to fill him up with 31 litres though, its normally 27ish when I fill up the tank...

For the uneducated what sort of mpg do these figures relate to (sorry, been driving the Passat for too long which, at a guess, has a fuel tank more than twice the size of a Lurosa blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> )?.

It may just be me but imo the best economy aid in any car is an mpg guage as whenever I drive summat with one I always seem to keep one eye on it to keep the figure as high as possible. You do alter your driving style but it's not all to the detriment of fun biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />