1.0 litre how many miles from a tank

Enigma

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, sounds about right mate. I usually get about 220 - 230 miles to a tank just driving around town and to work. Can get around 300 - 320 though if on the motorway and driving steadily wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

when i first got the car i was gettng 300 to 350 miles to a tank biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> but more rcently i seem to be getting 200-230 at a push angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> but it is due a service and i have given it a "clear out" as it was own by a woman who did a max of 3000miles a year in it and slow ones at that!(does go alot better now tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> )

Edited by Mr P

yeah it was basically driven so slow that it was coked up but since giving it a bit of thottle it has picked it performance up again (what little a 1.0 has!)it wasnt as quickas it should have been when compared to another 1.0 lupo but now it beats the one i compared it to! but even during this is was still doing 300+ mile to a tank!

Edited by Mr P

i've managed the whole way from E38 back to glasgow + 2 days driving , worked out at 403miles . i sat at 60 all the way back , was mind numbingly boring

well not the same but in my 1.4 i usually get 200 odd but have got about 280 twice so i have got more power than you and am getting better fuel consumption roflmao.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflmao:" border="0" alt="roflmao.gif" /> and i do NOT drive it steady

wayne

Mine is an 03 reg, i think it averages about 40 - 45 MPG usually,

I usually dont let it go to the light before i fill up, but one a good tank it does about 90 miles from the first quater, ive got 140 with my TDi once on just the first quater biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Chris

well my lupo gti holds about £25 to a full tank and i get about 270ish miles on that... surely 1 litres do more then that?? huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

You would thing so, but they arnt the most economical cars as they need to be worked hard to gain speed and also drink loads sitting at 70 on a motorway.

So what should i be getting for the 1.4 TDi ?

I`ve had it 2 weeks and filled it once, bringing back 250 miles to the tank, which i thought was poor. It cost £24 to fill it up, which was 26 litre. Am I right in saying its a 28 litre tank ?

Most of my driving has been on the motorway, which is usually a steady 70 although I`ve been a little heavy on it to test the warrenty out biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I was told the fuel and air filter had been changed at the last service, is there anything else I can do to boost the Mpg, other than buying a lighter right foot ?

So what should i be getting for the 1.4 TDi ?

I`ve had it 2 weeks and filled it once, bringing back 250 miles to the tank, which i thought was poor. It cost £24 to fill it up, which was 26 litre. Am I right in saying its a 28 litre tank ?

Most of my driving has been on the motorway, which is usually a steady 70 although I`ve been a little heavy on it to test the warrenty out biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I was told the fuel and air filter had been changed at the last service, is there anything else I can do to boost the Mpg, other than buying a lighter right foot ?

250 that is really low for a TDi, ive never got that low no matter how i drive it. Mine loves motorways and just sips the fuel at 70ish.

You could try a diesel treatment/adative, i have used one and i did notice a difference. What do you think of the performance, if you have only had it two weeks maybe the previous owner has just chugged around in it and its clogged up.

Oh an you should post some pics up, always good to see new arosas on the site smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chris

Edited by cardaft

how olds the car? get the tracking checked, tyre pressures ok? windows shut, air con off?

injector cleaner will help, get a bottle of forte, ask in a lacal garage for its trade only, cost you bout 10 quid, just pour it in with your diesel. but DONT do what most people say and put it in with a small amount of diesel, cleaner works best when its diluted more as its cleaning longer. go by what the tin says, they know best.

best bet for a tdi on motorway is to get your speed at just the right revs so the turbo hasnt got boost. buyin a boost gauge will make this a lot easier and if you get it right then pure motorway driving you should be looking at 60mpg at best.

Performance wise its aweful in first gear, with almost nothing in the gear at all before you change up. 2nd and 3rd and quick and it happily pulls along in 4th and 5th. I`ve probably been hammering it a little too much just now to really tell, as I`mve had it up to 100mph a couple of times and I quite often fly off the mark at the junctions, but I did that in my last car (1.6i 8 valve Astra) and it brought back 34mpg without fail.

The car is an 03 plate and was a courtesy car for the last 7 months, before that it chugged around Edinburgh. I bought some redex yesterday, but I`m waiting till I`m down to about half a tank before i give it a good rally to clear anything in the injectors.

So far I`m quite happy with the little car, apart from not giving me the mpg I was looking for. Its quite fun to drive and holds well in the corners. Having had 5 cars in four years I`m hoping this one is here to stay for a while, although it will never beat my Toyota Hilux Surf 3 ltr TDi, which i put some massive feet on and gave a 4 inch lift kit, unfortunately it only did 19mpg and had to go when the kids came along biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I was thinking of maybe dropping this one 30mm tops, but I think that would be the only mod as i like its looks just now, it just needs to sit a little lower so it hangs into those corners a little better.

how olds the car? get the tracking checked, tyre pressures ok? windows shut, air con off?

injector cleaner will help, get a bottle of forte, ask in a lacal garage for its trade only, cost you bout 10 quid, just pour it in with your diesel. but DONT do what most people say and put it in with a small amount of diesel, cleaner works best when its diluted more as its cleaning longer. go by what the tin says, they know best.

best bet for a tdi on motorway is to get your speed at just the right revs so the turbo hasnt got boost. buyin a boost gauge will make this a lot easier and if you get it right then pure motorway driving you should be looking at 60mpg at best.

3yr old, tracking seems fine, no wheel shake at speed, or uneven tire wear, windows are always shut (Scotland in the winter, its bloody baltic) and its not got air con.

I am used to chucking a whole bottle of redex in with a quarter tank of diesel with my old truck, but i guess less is maybe more with this little thing biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The car sits at about 2100 revs at 70mph.

Does tyre pressures have a big effect on economy? i always have mine lowish for better grip but i might think again for longer trips.

Funny you should mention Forte as thats what i use and my dad is a sales rep for Forte, but no you should use it with a low amount of fuel as then its not diluted as much and worsk faster especially when driven at high revs. When i had my fuel filter changed the garage just filled the filter with forte diesel treatment neat, good stuff biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Yeah thats a good idea about the turbo, i will have to take notice for when that cuts in.

Chris

mine is an x plate but i do drive it like i stole it most of the time tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> when i drove it sensibly before imanage tohit the 400miles to a tank! it can be done its just boring!

i meant dont just put the whole bottle in with a quarter tank, if it says full tank then do full tank, or it'll be concentrated and be blown out as smoke, think about it, a full tank is cleaning the injectors for a longer time, and will get the stream right. or you could just take the injectors out and get them pressure tested and dipped, but i think thats goin a bit for for an 03

tyre pressure makes a MASSIVE difference on motorway journeys, in my mr2 i could tell when the tyres were lower cos it didnt get the same mpg. (and cos it became a bitch to handle, lol)

just cos the car feels absolutely spot on doesnt mean your trackings out, take it to get a laser setup and even if there was a little bit there you'll feel the difference. my dads drove his mondeo for 3 years and had no bother, took it for tracking cos his workplace had a christmas special (taxi) and he says its like a different car now.

2100 at 70 souns right, the work fiesta td does bout the same, take it it redlines at 5k? if thats the case then if its like the ford the turbo kicks at 1500

i meant dont just put the whole bottle in with a quarter tank, if it says full tank then do full tank, or it'll be concentrated and be blown out as smoke, think about it, a full tank is cleaning the injectors for a longer time, and will get the stream right. or you could just take the injectors out and get them pressure tested and dipped, but i think thats goin a bit for for an 03

tyre pressure makes a MASSIVE difference on motorway journeys, in my mr2 i could tell when the tyres were lower cos it didnt get the same mpg. (and cos it became a bitch to handle, lol)

just cos the car feels absolutely spot on doesnt mean your trackings out, take it to get a laser setup and even if there was a little bit there you'll feel the difference. my dads drove his mondeo for 3 years and had no bother, took it for tracking cos his workplace had a christmas special (taxi) and he says its like a different car now.

2100 at 70 souns right, the work fiesta td does bout the same, take it it redlines at 5k? if thats the case then if its like the ford the turbo kicks at 1500

Yes thats true, but for best effects its ment have the all the bottle added on a quatre of a tank, you could get two bottles and put one in at a quater and the other on the next full tank, but it works faster on a quater.

Hmm i think ill put more air in my tyres from now on then, well for motorway drives atleast.

I have had my tracking done and its spot on so mine is ok.

Hmm im sure my TDi revs at just under 2,500 rpm at 70, and the turbo cuts in at about 2,000-2,100

Chris