Hello from NZ

Filx

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on here for a while but finally time to post up to say hi (and as it says I also need a little help if possible)

I'm from New Zealand and am rebuilding a Lupo GTI for my girfriend. Lupos were never sold down here and you basically never see them so it should be pretty unique. There is the odd 1.4 auto around (all ex Japan, probably less than 10 in the country) and as far as I am aware our one is the only GTI. It is also ex Japan as that is the only way I could get one. It will be an awesome car (well we think so anyway biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ) - black, 6 speed, coil overs and nice 16" rims, etc.

The bad news is I bought it damaged and took a bit of a punt on it at auction - only to find that it has blown the airbags sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> . So that leads to ask for some help:

1. Does anyone have a dash out they can measure and give me approx dimensions (and weight if possible)

2. Can anyone recommend any good VW wreckers (and phone numbers) in the UK? I am looking for a complete dash, airbags, steering wheel, seat belts, bumper, grilles, etc

3. Can anyone recommend a good freight forwarder (air freight) as I would like to compare costs between organising it from here or directly with a UK agent?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

Edited by Filx

i too bought a accident damaged one, in my opinion it will be a lot easier to get another accident damaged one and swap parts over. but as yours is the only gti in NZ it will be a bit of a mission! try giving Motorsinmotion a ring, they break vws and advertise on ebay. 01909531537

Hello and welcome to the club, it sounds like a great project you have got on the go and like you say it will be very unique.

If i was in your position i would stick a carbon fibre patch over the top of where the passenger airbag has blown (i have seen this a couple of times and i think it looks ok, plus it saves you a lot of money!) and fit a mk5 golf gti steering wheel or something similar (im assuming they sell them in NZ?) As i think it will be very costly to get one shipped over from the UK. If you want a new dash, your best bet would be ebay.co.uk and just email the seller to see if they will post to NZ.

Hope you get it sorted!

Hi everyone - thanks for the kind welcome and helpful input!

The good news is I have tracked down the all kit I need in the UK and cut a deal. Umm, you'll have to excuse me as I can't find the damn "pound" symbol on my PC - but suffice to say "300" + VAT seemed OK to me!?!

I can't remember the name of the place but the guys are called Andy and Rob and were very helpful. I now just need to figure out a way to get the bits down here. I have a contact for sea freight - but his next shipment leaves mid Jan and then it is 8-10 weeks until it gets here, clears customs, etc.

Aaaargh - who can wait that long? I think I'm going to take a punt on air freight - just hope I don't end up on the CIA most wanted list behind Osama if the bags explode and I bring down a 747! I hear the service and food at Guantanemo Bay ain't all that great - plus I don't like the colour of the complimentary robes.

In the mean time the dash is fully stripped out of the car, as well as most of the front end. I have ordered a new bonnet, front right guard, headlight, slam panel, bumper, grill, etc, etc, etc. All coming ex Singapore and surprisingly prices were pretty reasonable.

Thanks again and I'll try and keep this thread updated with progress over the next few months smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

glad your having some luck, is that 300 for all the parts or just the dash?

That was for the dash, airbag module, air bags, steering wheel, seatbelts and a few other minor sundries.

thats a good price for the dash etc although i dread to think how much the shipping costs would tot it up to ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

you should put up some pictures of the lupo and the mini oh and good luck with the project as you say should be really unique which is always good

wayne

Hahhaaa - yeah we got Little Britain down here - love it! gti_ur2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

My Mini - a pic from last year. Sadly pretty much still in this state today as I keep getting sidetracked. Not too much rust but a bit rough up close (ratty) - awesome fun though (well before I stripped it anyway). Rebuilding a 1293 for her with just the basics - 286SP, HIF44, LCBs, RC40, SC gears, etc.

Miniwork150805017.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

My girlfriends current car - Vitz RS (don't hate me but I love my Toyotas also!)

IM000374.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

The turbo kit I was halfway through piecing together for the above car before she decided she really wanted a Lupo! Debating whether to kick on with it anyway as there was a bit of work just to get to this point...

1NZFEturbo_mani.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

And finally (for the moment) just got my hands on this to cruise around in over summer

IM000505.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edited by Filx

What a great collection of cars!

Think its safe to say, we're all looking forward to seeing some pics as the project progresses. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by matt a

nice collection of cars shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> got to love the mini even in striped form it looks good laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> , the yearis is quite nice and i do think you should finnish the turbo kit as it would be a very good little sleeper smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

good luck with the project

wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update for anyone interested. Finally sorted some shipping on the dashboard etc. In the end I couldn't stand the thought of a 12 week wait so I closed my eyes, dropped my trousers and took the airfreight option. 29768221_full.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

15x7 and 15x8 (both +35). They're used but I'm am thinking of getting them redone with the centres in black and the lip and the inside of the little elipses (currently red) all polished up. What do you guys think? Most of the people down here that have seen them think I'm nuts - but I've got a sneaking feeling they might just work on the Lupo...... cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

loving those rims mate how deep shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

If i was in your position i would stick a carbon fibre patch over the top of where the passenger airbag has blown (i have seen this a couple of times and i think it looks ok, plus it saves you a lot of money!)

Where from? Might be an option for my uncles car rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the carbon patch is not an option for me. If you want to get a damaged car registered here you need to get it inspected by our local transport agency. They check it before and after repair to determine that it is safe to return to the road. The dashboard and airbags is all a part of that process as they take extra pains to make sure all factory safety features have not been compromised.

The good news is that all the parts arrived from the UK last week in what appears to be good order. And we will be cracking on with getting the car repaired and going. I can't wait!!!!!!!

We kind of have something like that here for the cars categorised as the worst damage. Its called the VIC check but they dont check safety, just that its the same car as before and that you havent swapped chassis' or cloned another car.

All other damaged vehicles you can drive round in whatever state you want as long as they pass the annual MOT test.