How to: Fit mk4 Golf Recaros

Couldn't post in the How To section, so did it here, if someone can move it.

Before we start, I would recommend that you fit the seats without grinding anything first, so you can see first hand what you need to be doing. The two 'wheel arms' that sit in the runners are too deep, and catch on the carpet, meaning you can't slide the seats backwards and forwards. Mine still catch a bit; the seats aren't exactly easy to slide, but they're much better than they were.

Undo the two nuts at the front of the seat (the one in the car!)

frontnuts.jpg

Pop the little plug out from the rear trim and undo the hex nut/screw. Unclip the trim.

reartrim.jpg

Slide seat all the way back til it comes off the runners. Lift it out.

noseat.jpg

These two pictures show where you need to grind the recaro seat bases down for them to clear the carpet. I put masking tape on to show you, but, looking back, the second picture is wrong. It doesn't need to be ground down as much at the tip of the frame, it's more towards the centre where it catches, I obviously wasn't paying any attention whilst putting the masking tape on, but it shows you the area that needs grinding.

masking1.jpg

masking2.jpg

Grind the metal away with great care

megrinding.jpg

Have your mate fanny about trying to take arty photos.

artyshot.jpg

Let him have a go, ensuring he also behaves sensibly with the grinder

sigrinding.jpg

You can see here where the metal has been ground down. You'll need to take off as much as possible, so go close to the welds, but do not weaken them.

grindingfinished.jpg

One done...

sidebyside.jpg

Finished.

recarosin.jpg

Edited by Tigz