MAJOR GEARBOX PROBLEMS

angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> tonight was not a good nite 4 me and my Lupo. Not only did i loose to a Fiat Uno and a Vauxhall Corsa but my gearbox is now completely knackered. I fist noticed it changing down into 2nd, it juddered and grinded and squelled. Pulled into park to have a look and it is very judderey and difficult to select any gears.

The gear lever is quite stiff compared to normal yet all gears can be selected while stationary. At slow speeds and pulling off the car judders. It makes the most horricif noise, it grinds squeels and clatters. There is a serous amount of knocking coming from the gearbox. A stong smell of gearbox oil and smoke coming from the gearbox.

I no longer have no 4th gear, there is just nothing there, it has completey gone just revs no power what so ever at any speed. My ex brother in law is very matey with the VW crew in Maccy D's, they all do various things and have a garage. They have taken it for a drive and say the gearbox is gone. I made a very slow drive home using only the top gears (1st, 3rd and 5th). near the end of the journey i was having to hold it in 5th as it kept slipping out. (It has ocassionally jumped out before now) I also had to hold it in reverse gear when parking on my drive.

What sort of price am I going to be looking for a new gearbox? and if anyone knows if there is one for sale this info would be really appreichiated.

I just wanna say you have never heard anything like the racket it makes. It was SOOOOO painful 4 me driving it home it hurt!!!!

My car is on a 1.4 Sport 1999 V reg with 54500 miles on it. Anyone else had a gearbox go on them and is this a regular occurance at this kind of mileage/year???

Thanks very much for all help, Sam.

Edited by My_Names_Buck

Sounds bad sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> I got the same car as you (we got them at the same time if you remeber) hope nothing goes wrong with mine.

the lupo sport uses a vw 085 type gearbox, so should be fairly easy to get hold of. its quite common in 6n polos for the mainshaft bearings to fail at around 50 - 60k miles, as happened to me. to have the bearings done set me back £325. a new gearbox from vw will be in the region of £1000 ish, with around a £600 surcharge, which is refunded when you return the old gearbox.

yea i memba canonman. hw is yours doin? We both got em of eBay didn't we. mine did have twice the milage though. lol.

mmm this is beginning to sound expensive. What kind of price would I be looking at for a second hand one???? It has been suggested to me that I should get a Miltek box but dont think my funds allow at present!!!

Sam.

yep those gearboxs are like chocolate just done mine at 45k sounded like a world rally car with the whine till is went bang coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

mmm... yeah it does sound pretty made just ideling in neutral with the whining, also sounds different when you just cost along in gear! huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Also sounds expensive lol blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

My ocasional over exuberant gear changes and down changes can't of really helped it much either. I used to quite like changing into 4th gear, now i don't have one to go into.

Sam.

Edited by My_Names_Buck

my 5 speed box done exactly the same as yours mate. managed to find a 6 speed one for 150 quid tho. your best bet is to get a second hand box.

my 5 speed box done exactly the same as yours mate. managed to find a 6 speed one for 150 quid tho. your best bet is to get a second hand box.

Yea i think i will go for a second hand one as i'm not liking the prices of new ones. What ones will actually fit onto my lupo. Don't suppose a 6 speed one can be fitted to my 1.4 Sport can it?

yea i memba canonman. hw is yours doin? We both got em of eBay didn't we. mine did have twice the milage though. lol.

mmm this is beginning to sound expensive. What kind of price would I be looking at for a second hand one???? It has been suggested to me that I should get a Miltek box but dont think my funds allow at present!!!

Sam.

lol Yep still going fine yea mine only done 24k. Just been to birmingham today, had no probs

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

my lupo 1.4 sport is makin a whistling noise that goes when you put the clutch in also its getting a bit stiff to select all gears any ideas on what could be the problem, im unsure on wehter i need a new gear box and a clutch or just a clutch

• 2 weeks later...

My gf's car is having the same issue with the clutch being heavy, being hard to put into 1st gear and making the whilsling/wining when engaged driving. I'm thinking its either the release bearing or the actual clutch plate. I'm under the assumption that 1.4 sports have hydo clutches right?

Yeah but now shes lost 4th gear :/ guna wip the box off tomorrow morning see if i can get all the gears while its off inspect the clutch etc and fill the box with some fluid. Shall just have to see how it goes

Who ever designed the rear engine mounts on the lupo needs shooting in the face! 2 hours to get the box off , 4 to get it back on :/

Its its not fouling on the subframe where the wishbone connects its on the driveshaft flange/cup.

After taking the gb off, drained inspected. The release bearing shaft was completely fubbared, fortunately got one from gsf for 3 quid.Hopefully changing

the clutch, fluid, release bearing and shaft should see the problem solved

Plus my gf borrowed my car for the local shop, the clutch cable snapped as she pulled up at home :(

Edited by etches69

haha yeah the rear engine mount is a rubish desigin remember having problems with that when i took the engine and gearbox out last month ..

yeah much easier to remove driveshaft flange :D ..

can still seeing it being the final drive bearing failing making the whine noise and 4th and 1st gear being hard too select ..

not much luck with gearboxes and cables lately then