Best modifications for a fast Lupo GTi on Nürburgring?

Särås

Hello every one!

Im bought a VW Lupo GTi -02 yesterday becorse 2 things the first one was becorse i like my everyday car (Lupo 1,4 TDi) and i feel it's could be fun to have the GTi and the second part is that my normal track car (Audi RS4 -01 (B5)) is broken and i can't fix it to next week.. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

So becorse i alredy bought the trip whit boat to Germany and hotel and of corse the laps on the Nordschleife!

I need a car to drive on the track and the 1200 kilometre to Germany... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Allso my friends drive there Audi RS4 -01 and Porsche and so on... Im going in the "smalest" and at theirs point of view allso the slowest car!

So my target now is to get the Lupo GTi faster then it is!

Ok?

So the target is to be 20-40 sec after my friends Audi RS4 and Porsche Boxter!

Ok, not faster then them but just to get some respect! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

So what shuld i do, have 5 days to get it faster...

This is what i alredy have on my way:

• H&R Coilovers (ClubSport)
  • Pagid yellow in the front
  • Pagid blue in the back
  • Hankook Ventus Z211 (205x50 15")
  • 2piece of Sparco Corsa racingchair
  • 2piece of 6 points 3" competition harnesses
  • K&N Injection kit
  • Racing brake lines
  • PowerFlex bushes
  • Try to lighten the car as mutch as i could, back seat out
  • ATE Super Blue Racing (DOT4) (brake fluid)
  • K&N Injection kit

Of corse i have done a big service on the car and put in RedLine LightWeight ShockProof gear oil, RedLine WaterWetter, Shell Helix Ultra 15w-40 engine oil, new servo oil, NGK racing sparkplugs and a lot of stuff, just so everything is fit for fight! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Today i allso get it shiny whit some meguiars wax and cleaning! wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

So.... coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

What shuld i do...

5 days, and 5 nights...

Need every help i could get to find some more speed...

I shuld try to get a 2½" exhust coustom made in Sweden, if just the company whants to help me, the problem is time... And allso i have a sponsor ho could map my car whit the modifications, if i do any more then the K&N injection kit???

So is it any idea whit a race exhust and remap whit 98 octan gasoline?

I think i have the speed in my as a driver and the target shuld be like 8,40-9 minute BTG (bridge to gate)... blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

THANKS!

/Jimmy Särås

Edit: P.S Sorry for bad English....

Edited by Särås

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your English is better than some on here!

firstly, welcome!

secondly, try and get rid of as much weight as possible! strip the interior out! a remap with those mods could possibly get another 20ps.

the main thing to aim for, is try to keep the speed through the corners, since your relative lack of power is going to restrict your speed in the straights

hope this helps!

Babs: Thanks, this forum looks like the best Lupo Forum i could find on the internet (that i understand anyway, i cant speek/read German)...

Yes i going to take a way all the interior i could from the front seats to the back...

So it's worth to put a exhust and remap whit the K&N injection and exhust?

Becorse 20ps on the straights is beter then none? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I now that my goal shuld be to keep the speed all the way araund the track, thats going to be hard but after one day at the track (10-20 laps) mayby i could learn it all over whit the small Lupo! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Normaly im always could lose litle in the corners whit the big Audi RS4 becorse of the power (500+bhp) but this is new for me... blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Thank you and it's nice to get som advice...

What about the modifications im doing whit the car, is it any god?

THANKS AGAIN!

/Jimmy Särås

I thought when I read the title, this was going to be over a course of months not days!

Other than stripping all hell out of it and getting a chip (you could get a map to run higher octane), theirs not really alot more you can do with so little time. Perhaps a progressive No2 kit?

i think the best things you can ever do is get the highest quality track tyres. nothing gets close you when you have the tyre advantage. taking into account all the modifications listed above i believe a standard gti would do a better lap if it was on very good tyres.

Edited by beach

Hello Beach!

Anything wrong whit the Hankook Ventus Z211 it's a semi racing tyre... confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

The problem was that every tyre sompany in Sweden have sold the tyre stock...

So the onley tyre i could get was the Hankook and mayby the Toyo R888 but the R888 was just mayby to get, and i was buing the tyre i now i get then...

Thanks!

Ramirez: Yes i now, not months/weeks, just days... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Then the remap was a god idea... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Progressive No2 kit? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Thanks

Edited by Särås

wont 205 50 profile be too big??, also a bmc filter may be better than a k&n as get more airflow to the car... (might be wrong) will you be using the gti as a road car at all? if not then as said above strip all the interior out to reduce the weight etc..

exhaust plus remap may give you an extra 10 - 15 bhp...

good luck and if u have chance stick some pics up..

hi i dont know much about the hankook ventus z211. know the R888 though.

i'm just kind of saying as an opinion this is where the money gets really well spent in speed terms. although the money is lost afterwards as the track will use a new set of tyres right down to the legal limit in one day. so thats like £300 gone in one go. but still its good.

i managed to get some reduced price avon road legal track tyres awhile ago. from new they lasted 1000-1500 miles until wear indicator was showing and that was from daily road use not track.

Edited by beach

hi i dont know much about the hankook ventus z211. know the R888 though.

i'm just kind of saying as an opinion this is where the money gets really well spent in speed terms. although the money is lost afterwards as the track will use a new set of tyres right down to the legal limit in one day. so thats like £300 gone in one go. but still its good.

i managed to get some reduced price avon road legal track tyres awhile ago. from new they lasted 1000-1500 miles until wear indicator was showing and that was from daily road use not track.

I have understand that the Hankook Ventus Z211 shuld be even beter then the Toyo Proxes R888, but of corse i like the R888 very mutch...

Have drive a lot of "semiracing/slicks/racing" tyres and the best one for the Honda S2000 is absolutley the Yokahoma A048... Worst is the Kumho... But every tyres fits difrent car litle difrent if you ask me...

Have driven a lot of tracks in my life and allso a lot of cars...

But i like the Lupo, feels like a Golf GTi Mk1 but beter and faster! wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

I now that speed are in the tyres and driver, but it could never go wrong to put some more chassie, brakes and power... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Thanks!

wont 205 50 profile be too big??, also a bmc filter may be better than a k&n as get more airflow to the car... (might be wrong) will you be using the gti as a road car at all? if not then as said above strip all the interior out to reduce the weight etc..

exhaust plus remap may give you an extra 10 - 15 bhp...

good luck and if u have chance stick some pics up..

205 x 50 whill fit, have some pepole in Sweden ho have drive whit that sice on Lupo, but i cant lower the car to a "lowrider"... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I shuld have this Lupo as a road car (it's roads to the tracks?).

Allso it could be fun to drive it to work when i had a bad day to make the day a "beter" day! wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Any pictures of the BMC?

And of corse if any one have on the K&N whit it instal on a Lupo Gti?

My K&N injection kit get to me on Wednesday "last minute work"...

Thanks!

If you can, try and get an upper rear strut brace. With no weight in the back they can be supprisingly tail happy!

Ramirez: Yes i now, not months/weeks, just days... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Then the remap was a god idea... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Progressive No2 kit? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Thanks

A progressive No2 kit is a Nitrous system that builds up the amount of No2 inline with the revs. rather than the standard on/off set up. Saves your engine abit and is a quick way of getting more power, allowing for your very tight timeframe.

If you can, try and get an upper rear strut brace. With no weight in the back they can be supprisingly tail happy!

A progressive No2 kit is a Nitrous system that builds up the amount of No2 inline with the revs. rather than the standard on/off set up. Saves your engine abit and is a quick way of getting more power, allowing for your very tight timeframe.

A Nos, now im whit you...

I think i don't whant to run that way, going to try to drive like 10-20 laps (at least) and think it's beter spent money to have it on things ho last for ever... wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

But thanks for the idea! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Yes shuld bild somthing like that to but the harnesses in... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks!

you have a lot of experience saras. good luck with the 9 minutes

Hello, did i say somthing wrong?

Sorry if i did, i realy like all help i could get...

I know that all of you (the users on clubLupo.co.uk) can't know me, i dont know you all... blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

But i think i allredy spent the money on the best tyres i could get, and i know that they are not street legal becorse they are litle more track tyres then the R888 or some other semirace tyres...

If they are faster on Lupo? I dont now... sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

But i know that it's the best i could get to next weekend! blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

THANKS and sorry if i did anything wrong or did write anything wrong by misstake?

/

nothing wrong, i'm just saying as you have mentioned your track experience etc. then you know already about tyres and what makes a car fast. so just thought i would wish you luck as i saw your <9 min target. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by beach

nothing wrong, i'm just saying as you have mentioned your track experience etc. then you know already about tyres and what makes a car fast. so just thought i would wish you luck as i saw your <9 min target. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Ok, thanks! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Every one shuld have a target...

If my target was 10 min, that shuld not be so fun... But then i mayby could be happy becorse i did run faster then target?

/

maybe do 1 lap in the gti 1st. and then set a target?

No, i have driven 8,34 on the track before whit a standard Audi RS4 (exept tyres ho was semi racing) and i know i could been faster...

But in the end it's going to be the trafic on the track ho mayby kill the >9min lap...

Standard Lupo GTi shuld run 9,05 to 9,15 whit god/great driver/drivers...

So whit my modifications and tyres i don't see why i don't shuld try to get the >9 min lap? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Becorse my car aint standard in the end of the week... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

/

Lighten the crank and flywheel, flow out the inlet ports, remap...

... then slicks. twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

So whit my modifications and tyres i don't see why i don't shuld try to get the >9 min lap? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It is possable with a standard car smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...8039&q=lupo

Tigz: I dont know, but it mayby looks like he have some more grip in some of the courvs/turns... So mayby some chassie or tyres?

But some one mayby know?

But 9,09 is a nice time...

Thanks!

/

I don't think we know for sure as that wasn't any of us... although a few of us have done it (myself included) I don't think we have enough 'ring experience to get a time as good as you (someone prove me wrong if you like tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />)

Please let us know how you get on!

bossjohnc: We whill se, i have mutch to do whit the car this week, i don't know if i can do everything i whant! sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

But i shuld take some pictures and allso try to put the after race story on the forum...

Mayby shuld target 9,09 first? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

But it dosent look like it's inposible to take that time...

If you look at the video...

But then we don't know what he have done whit the car!

Any way this shuld be fun, one of my friends told me that if i get a faster lap then 9 min he shuld eat his steering wheel in his RS4!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

/

i think if you are confident and push as hard as the tyres allow you will get into the magic 8's. i believe you can .

Do you know...

I HOPE SO! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

But like i did say, everything is abaut the trafic on the track, thing abaut it, the Lupo don't have the power on the strights to puch forward an "fast" car on the circut and allso if it's a slow car in any turn it could kill it even if i get a nice lap exept 1 or 2 corners!

So if i get 1 lap faster then 9 minuts i going to take a picture and put it on this site so every one here now it's posible and allso i shuld put one on rs246.com to my Audi friends! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

So they know to not underate a Lupo Gti! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Thanks every one, if you get any idea of a simple modification just let me know!

/