EBC Greenstuff - Any good ?

James Saunders

Anyone got EBC Greenstuff pads ?? Our GTi possibly needs new pads (done 27k, the missus drives it so doesnt get a hard life!) and these are an option. The car is in for its 3rd service on Tuesday and I think they are gonna tell me it needs new pads but I have a feeling the VW price for supply and fit might be a bit high !!

they are good

don't go to vw as they charge crap loads for a job that can be done in 30mins

ebc are good as they give off very very little brake dust, they need some warming up until they are at their peak performance, but are generally good pads, also pads you should consider is pagid and also ferodos which are both better than EBC's for performance but will have more brake dust.

the pads you will be needing is for 256mm discs.

how?

well i have had my car for 4 yrs and i have put 80k miles on the clock so i have been through a hell of alot of brake pads and discs and other things as well, also i am doing a degree in automotive engineering so i pick things up as the course goes on.

tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I got Mintex 1144's fitted (by VW, supplied by AAT) for £20 cheaper than the OEM ones (fitted & supplied by VW)

If you get Greenstuff, make sure you get the latest (V5?) of them.

I've heard mixed reports on Greenstuff...but the Mintex 1144's that were recommended to me (Pagid Fast Road Pads are meant to be the best, but you cant' get them for the GTI) and they were superb.

On a side note - I'm not sure if you can fit the "Sport" brakes to the GTi - the sport has the same diameter (256mm) brakes, but they are `non-vented`. Rudy also tells me that the GTI pads *are* different, despite being the same diameter. He thinks the pads are thicker on the GTi...

surely the sport ones are vented, they should be the same set up as the polo 16v which are 256mm vented with 20mm pads and 22mm pads if the car has air con fitted like mine does.

the width of the pads don't make that much difference, you can use 20mm pads if the standard are 22mm because the piston will just make up the 2mm space.

I'm sure they are vented, even our 'ickle Lupo SDi has vented brakes - exactly the same units fitted to the Polo 1.4 16v