Managed to reach my target!

Paul

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would u bother?

what is the motivation for getting good fuel consumption?

i get on average 15-20mpg and it doesn't motivate me to drive more economically. i just accept that this is what my car does.

Ok so whats the worst anyones got out of their car??? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i can get down to around 5mpg, but worst average over a journey is 8mpg for me.

why would u bother?

what is the motivation for getting good fuel consumption?

It's just achieving something, even if it's not as enjoyable as trying to see how low you can get it, it's just something to do to say 'I did that'.

As Paul has previously said, if he had a faster car he wouldn't drive like that, but as he has an economical car, he might as well try to see how economical he can make it, it's never going to be particularly fast, so he might as well do what it's good at.

plus with all the money he saves he'll pay his speeding fine no bother

i'd personally rather have worse fuel consumption and not be bored out of my mind every time i get in the car and not piss everyone off who gets stuck behind me.

Edited by Adam K

How do you all know what MPG you're getting? I didn't think MFA's were an option on UK Lupos?

Simple maths? lol

And I think it's as valid a test as any other. Plus, it's saving money. Perhaps money is no object for some people, but when you do alot of miles (as Paul and I do for example, and I'm sure many others too) a small difference in economy can add up to alot of money saved.

For example, I reduced my fuel costs by half when I changed my old car to the Passat. The savings in fuel have covered the cost of the car, so I've ended up with a newer, better car, for no extra outlay! Can you really argue with that??

Use the formula in the first post to work it out.

SteveWP has a Bora and Adam K has an Ibiza, they may have MPG readouts.

Pah and piffle! Bora my ass!! Lol. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Use the formula in the first post to work it out.

SteveWP has a Bora and Adam K has an Ibiza, they may have MPG readouts.

Oh, ok. I was thinking you'd be pretty mental to drive hard enough and long enough to work out you were getting 8MPG laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Simple maths? lol

It was more a question aimed at those stating they had a ridiculously low MPG!

Oh, ok. I was thinking you'd be pretty mental to drive hard enough and long enough to work out you were getting 8MPG laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

It was more a question aimed at those stating they had a ridiculously low MPG!

mine is a 20v turbo engine, so pretty easy to get those silly fuel consumption figures as it's modified too.

i can do £20 of fuel in 40 miles easily which works out to 8.2mpg.

I just thought now 'Or was it a Passat?...'

Sorry for the gross amount of offence that was almost certainly caused.

pmsl

It's just achieving something, even if it's not as enjoyable as trying to see how low you can get it, it's just something to do to say 'I did that'.

As Paul has previously said, if he had a faster car he wouldn't drive like that, but as he has an economical car, he might as well try to see how economical he can make it, it's never going to be particularly fast, so he might as well do what it's good at.

Spot on, Philip, thank-you smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I'm proud that my Lupo did it and that I was driving. And, as you said, it's not a fast car; it's a 60bhp diesel, so why bother screaming it around? Economy is what it was designed for, so I'll drive it with that in mind smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Plus, it's saving money. Perhaps money is no object for some people, but when you do alot of miles (as Paul and I do for example, and I'm sure many others too) a small difference in economy can add up to alot of money saved.

You're right Steve, and doing about 20k per year, it all adds up wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Plus, driving economically and looking after the engine means it should have a longer life smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

plus with all the money he saves he'll pay his speeding fine no bother

bleh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":bleh:" border="0" alt="bleh.gif" /> wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

80MPG!! Wow.

This thread is inspiring. I'd love to go on a super econo-drive somewhere to see what MPG I could get.

(Best I've had is about 340 miles, going from teesside to Devon, using one one tank of fuel!)

Well done Paul, that's certainly an achievement.

Are you going to drive "normally" now you've done it, or continue on your economical quest?

Thank-you BigMon thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" /> I'll still drive with economy in mind though because it's relaxing not having to thrash it everywhere.

80MPG!! Wow.

This thread is inspiring. I'd love to go on a super econo-drive somewhere to see what MPG I could get.

(Best I've had is about 340 miles, going from teesside to Devon, using one one tank of fuel!)

Thank-you blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> It's nice to hear it's inspired you smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

BTW, that's a great signature with your two SEs wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

80MPG!! Wow.

Thats not bad from a 1.4 petrol, i havent even seen that from my TDi yet, although i havent left it till the light has been comming on., and thats mixed driving.

Thank-you blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> It's nice to hear it's inspired you smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I would like to try and see how much mpg i could get, i dont think id have the patients to drive economically for a full tank full though wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> , id have to try over a run somewhere smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chris

Edited by cardaft

I would like to try and see how much mpg i could get, i dont think id have the patients to drive economically for a full tank full though wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> , id have to try over a run somewhere smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hehehehe. This 80.44mpg was achieved over a run of just 220 miles. I went to Exeter and back and then filled up to see what she'd achieved.

Best I've got out of a tank was 670.9 miles equating to 79.69mpg, but I don't think that'll be possible for a while now the cold weather is coming neutral.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":neutral:" border="0" alt="neutral.gif" />

ah ha reading this thread i decided to give it a try with my 1.0 loop and normal driving with resting the temptation to accelerate really hard i've managed to get 70.03 miles to the gallon and thats not using the motorway! though it did get on my nerves driving like this. couldnt do it all the time!

ah ha reading this thread i decided to give it a try with my 1.0 loop and normal driving with resting the temptation to accelerate really hard i've managed to get 70.03 miles to the gallon and thats not using the motorway! though it did get on my nerves driving like this. couldnt do it all the time!

Thant is really impressive, i think the best i got with my 1.0 was about 53mpg once, and averaged about 45.

My Tdi did 58mpg on the first tank over 300 miles mixed drving and conditions and on the last tank it did 63mpg, really impressed with that biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Chris

Edited by cardaft

I've just given up, I don't have the patience for it really blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I managed 38mpg just recently, but I think i'm back down to 30/35ish this time rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Might try it on my way up to Uni, its the only time i drive seriously slower as the car is laden.