Finished sub box...Update: 18.10.06

emo_gazz

Hey people, just got a few things so far to start my very first boot build.

Last month I had a major set back with cash as I had to buy specs to help my vision a little which stopped me from buyin a very good set up from Scotty. He’s hardly online to talk to and im guessin that hes sold the system on as it was very good for the price.

So heres what ive got so far for my first simple small set up.

The amp is an Alpine MRP - M350, second hand with slight damage to the lower right corner (nothing much) and the sub is an Alpine SWL - 1042.

PICT0042.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0047.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0003.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0002-1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Gonna go measure the boot now so i can call in at B&Q tomorrow for the MDF to get started.

Edited by emo_gazz

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so today i got some cardboard from work to start the plan of what boot build i am gonna be makin.

Ill let the pics do the rest. Oh and all i can say is, Neil Buchanan EAT YOUR HEART OUT!!!!

P.S, sorry about the size of the pics

PICT0001-1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0002.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0004.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Now to see how it looks in the boot:

PICT0009.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0007.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0006.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0005.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Looks like a neat fit, but before you build the MDF box, check the internal volume and have it checked over by an "Expert" accordingly to the type of sound you want amp1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edited by nfbr

check the internal volume and have it checked over by an "Expert" accordingly to the type of sound you want smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

How do i go about that then? Dunno if it would help but i was also gonna fill the box with stuffin to help with the sound and fill up the space around the sub.

If you find the technical specification of your sub it should tell you what size enclosure it needs. Then use some maths to calculate the size of your box, it'll be trickier for you because it's not a rectangular box.

If you use 18mm MDF then the internal dimensions will be 1.14cuft.

I've not found the specs for the sub displacement yet, but I would imagine that the size of box would be about right.

By the way, have a read of this, at the bottom of the page, it has some great tips on building the box.

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

oops, also realised you want the basket facing out.

Hang on, it wants to be slightly smaller.

If you want the basket facing outwards, it wants to be about 305mm wide, rather than 370mm.

Edited by Tigz

lol wasnt sure what ya ment by basket facin in or out, just wanted to seem like i did lol. Wantin it like this:

spktnut1.gif border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

also measurements are here for the sub:

messure-1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

ok

the width wants to be 350mm rather than 370mm.

This will give you the Optimum Sealed Box Volume 1.0 cuft including the 0.08 cuft the sub takes up in air space.

1cu.ft ? I'd recomend a bit smaller than that if running sealed... Especially for the type of music he's into.

Alpine recoment 1cuft for a good meduim.

At the end of the day, its easier making it smaller if its too big than it is to make it any larger.

If you make a nother back piece out of 18mm MDF, if its too large, add that to the inside and the box size will be down to 0.9cuft.

Edited by Tigz

Don't forget theres another 18mm of wood thickness to think about.

If theres three inch of clearance from the base of the box to the vent you should be OK.

A bit of carpet on the inside of the base of the box and the fact that the top is angled I would think it would be fine.