best wheel size... - ...for performance

morgs

Well, the bigger the wheel the faster you can go, but smaller wheels will make the car 'quicker'. However, you have to take gear ratios in to account.

I suspect that VW have tuned the GTI to match 15" as that's standard - but I can't be sure. It's probably more down to driver style really.

I'm sure someone has a better idea than me anyway! (just replying cos it's quiet).

Are you looking at it from a speed only aspect? Bigger wheels = heavier, not good. Big do nothing for handling. In my "no doors" days (westfield) the best handling cars where on 13s. As I think you`ll find is the caterham Superlight 500.

Someone on here has just changed their light wheels and put standard back on and has lost 3mph in the bends due to weight. Do not know if same size as standard. But the point is if you increase you are likly to incur weight penalties unless spending monster bucks on big and light wheels.

As always happy to be corrected if wrong.

Jayson Also in the minority.

if you go for a lightweight wheel like the oz superlegra, or the team dynamics pro race, that are a true lightweight alloy wheel.

if you want to drive fast on country lanes then dont go for 16's as the can catch the arches but 15's look too small.

in my own opinion i'd say go for 16's and upgrade the shocks with coilovers and lower slightly but not too much like i have.

I'd reckon that your best bet would be 14's, with a lightweight alloy. Yes, even on a GTi.

The 15's on the GTi are more for looks than anything. At the end of the day, the lighter the rim, the lower the unsprung weight and the better the handling. Car will "feel" lighter and will feel sharper (less weight to turn/rotate)

As Ardent says, Caterhams always go for 13/14's

Also, a smaller diameter wheel/tyre combo will improve acceleration, but lose you some `top-end`.

QUOTE(Ardent)
Someone on here has just changed their light wheels and put standard back on and has lost 3mph in the bends due to weight.

Was me.

Wasn't empirically 3mph, i.e. I didn't measure it or anything but definitely noticeable

15s look much better when the car lowered, the standard ride height makes em look like 14s

8x15's alround i would. i would say 14's but i had trouble with caliper clearance on my sport with 14" splits and im so dum i don't know if the GTI has bigger brakes .... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i wouldn't swap my 14's for sh@t!!!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

well maybe someb 15" ATS race wheels. but appart from that :sigh:

Gti has been optimised for 15s though you would get a small acceleration advantage with 14s on. I'd think a lighter 15 would be the optimum, still giving easy clearance for callipers but also giving improved turn in, better bump absorption (if there is less unsprung mass it acts like there are firmer dampers but softer springs giving less movement but softer cushioning), better grip and no loss in acceleration or top speed over the std car, you’d still be left with the same limited tyre choice though so a change in width to 195s or a light weight 16 might be a cheaper alternative.