Trade in value of Lupo GTi @ Dealers

RallyeBaz

The most I have been offered was £5500 against a £23k Mk5 Golf GTi. Just been quoted £4200 against a brand new Polo GTi.

Looking at the VW website they have a similar 2001 reg Lupo GTi for £6995 in Leeds. Point this out to the dealers and they say its because they are not selling !!

Audi offered me £6000 for mine when it was a year old (20,000 miles) with new coilovers and 17" alloys. That was against a brand spanking TT Roadster. I spent ages filling all the forms in as well and then they offered me that price and I refused to sign the deal. The salesman seemed to think he offered a fair price.

So glad they made me keep it now.

Dealers aren't a charity. They are there to make money rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> just like any other business, i bet you dont complain about the price of a burger at McDonalds, and i'm pretty sure they have a higher mark up than a car dealership.

If you want more money for it, sell it privately, if you cant sell it privately then you'll just have to take what they offer you. Thats life i'm affraid smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Mileage will play a very big factor in the price offered TBH anything over about 85k & they'd probably auction it rather than sell it on the forecourt. Unfortunately this is due to the stigma that is still attached to cars of old that fell apart after about 90k, the more informed buyers will not see this as a problem & they're usually the kind of people who buy at auction wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

As mentioned above, if it is an older car or heavily modified they won't sell it on there forecourt, they will auction it. So they can't give you say 6k for your car when in reality it may only fetch 5k at an auction. Sometimes they lose money at and auction and sometimes they gain it, but its not good business if they lose money. So they will offer the lowest price to you as possible. Its a bit unfair from your point of view, but at the end of the day, its gets the car out of your hair and you don't have to worry about selling it.

Funny you should bring this subject up actually, I received a letter from VW yesterday saying they want my car as they've had interest in the same model/colour as mine... if I PX it for another new/used VW... rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Might phone them to see what they'll offer me... can be guaranteed it won't be much!

Funny you should bring this subject up actually, I received a letter from VW yesterday saying they want my car as they've had interest in the same model/colour as mine... if I PX it for another new/used VW... rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I got one of those a few months ago which is why I went to see the dealer about a trade price smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Its utter bullshit to be honest... I got a letter from them 2 weeks ago saying that I'm a "valued loyal customer" (they've obviously forgotten about the 4 page complaint I wrote to VW UK about them) and that I'm invited to a special weekend at the dealership where I am one of the few special customers allowed to view the highly discounted list of new & used cars on offer.

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I think its just a marketing thing to be honest, as i got a letter from my local dealer mentioning the same type of weekend for loyal customers...i didn't even buy my car from them! i just get it serviced there. lol

Oh it is, its a blatant attempt to get more money out of me.

I didn't buy my car from there either. They've also apparently forgotten to check their records & thus have failed to realise that I was *VERY* explicit in my letter about never going back to them for anything, ever.

Oh it is, its a blatant attempt to get more money out of me.

I didn't buy my car from there either. They've also apparently forgotten to check their records & thus have failed to realise that I was *VERY* explicit in my letter about never going back to them for anything, ever.

is your car all better now nicki?

I was offered £8k for my 04/04 car against the Polo GTI back in April. Reasonable offer I thought, trade prices are always crap, nothing new there.

As Rob said, dealers are there to make money, yes its up for £1500 more than yours but how much of that profit do you think they get back on that when they sell it. The next person is likely to haggle, theres the whatever work it may or may not need and simply the cost of marketing and storage that has to be taken into account.

I've got friends in the trade and believe me, they don't always do well out of trade in deals, some work, some cost them hence why they are always going to go in low.

It is shitty to be offered a low figure to something you paid a lot of money for, but there are other options.

Edited by AndyW

I got £1500 PX for my clio when I bought the loop - no way on this earth that car was worth £1500. He wouldn't budge on the price of the loop though, so it all balances out in the end.

I think he probably got about £500 (if that) at the auctions for my car.

All manufacturers are gonna do this. A friend of mine (actually my ex) got a similar thing from Toyota. Just so happens the new regs are out next month, so they're keen to get orders in for that.

She needed a diesel cos of the miles she does. Heathrow and back, 70 mile round trip. Got a pretty good deal on a Yaris Turbo Diesel T-Spirit, plus they cleared the finance on her current Corolla.

£1500 margin

-250 prep/service/b.work

-218 vat

-100 commission

=£932

Then the next customer wants £500 extra for their own px =£432 clear profit... Is it worth them buying and selling the car for £432 profit???

These threads kind of niggle at me abit. Its not like dealers have a 300% margin, but Mc Donalds do, same with most restaurants. Yet people don't complain about them and call them "stealers" and the like.

At the end of the day every one knows you can POTENTIALLY get more for selling it privately. And the key word is potentially!!!! I have a lovely Nissan terrano 4x4 for sale at the moment books as a clean car for £3000... i have it up for £2800 and has the phone rang??? NO! And this one has everythng going for it. So cars don't always go for "book" or what you would expect.

I personally would like to see less of these types of threads...but hey thats just me.... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Rant over, love you all! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

P.s this was not aimed at anyone in particular, just in general.

I think the message is sell it privately if you want a good price. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'd never expect a good price from a trade in. I'm surprised anyone does TBH.

The quote they offered is for a standard car which they have yet to see in the flesh.

Speaking to the dealers they reckon they have no margin to reduce a 3 month old Polo GTi and its funny as soon as I mention the Personal Contract Payments, my car is worth 30%, which is the advance payment up front.

I will be selling the car private. Just making initial enquiries to see what VW would offer.

Edited by RallyeBaz