How to: Remove a GTI spoiler and service the brake light

All credit to dxg:

Ok guys, just thougt I would update you on progress - hopefully these piccies will help out people like me who haven't addressed this problem before.

It has (mainly) been releatively straight-forward. The spolier is enterly bolted/screwed on. No glue involved luckily (aside from the gaskets).

Only slightly difficulty i removing the spolier is realising that it's held on the middle by a plastic spacer inserted into the standard brake light whole insight the tailgate, underneath the spolier. So as well as realising the two bolts either side, you also have to slide the cover off the inside middle of the tailgate and undo the three screws in there (even though they don't appear to do anything, they do).

Anyway, some piccies:

Location of the bolts under the "hinge" gaskets either side. This is the nearside. Offside is easier as there's no wiring in there. 8mm bolt.

IMG_0009.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Spolier removed. Note the bolts either side as well as the three screw holes through the standard brake light location. A good length of cable will come free if you give it a bit of a tug (I hope it's still plugged in the other end!).

IMG_0014.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

This is the source of the problem. Note the rust emerging from the connection and the reflection of the lens in the *puddle of water* lying inside the spolier.

IMG_0017.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

With the middle plastic spacer removed you can see 3no 7mm bolts holding the actual brake light assembly onto the spolier. I need to remove this because the last owner has chipped the lens by trying to get it off from the outside using a screwdriver.

IMG_0018.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

This is as far as I've got as the middle of those three bolts is completely seized. Just waiting a few hours to see if WD40 will have any effect.

No sure how to treat the rust inside the socket still attached to the male connector on the end of the loom though. It looks to be really bad. I guess the only option is to cut off the connect and get a replacement, if there's enough length in the cable. The rust on the light assembly socket will be solved by getting a new assembly. When this goes back together, the connection's getting a good coating of vaseline!

HTH,

Deek.

----------

Back again!

Okay, so the middle bolt wasn't seized, it was rotating inside the lens housing. The only effect the WD40 had was to remove all the touch-up paint (crayon?) from around the edges of the lens -- this must have been broken for ages as someone's has a serious go at trying to prize the lens off from the outside at one point. At least this will give me a chance to use the paint I've had since the days of the Polo...

Anyway after much effort in drilling out that bolt, more pics:

This would seem to be the general cause of everything - serious amounts of mould everywhere suggesting that the interior of the spolier must just be a wet place to be. Although you can see the red gasket behind, it doesn't seem to have had much effect.

IMG_0023.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

The part number that all this was in aid of finding...

IMG_0027.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

And this is the route of my problems - this can't be repaired. Note the absense of one of the prongs. This must have rusted right through so will still be in the socket attached to the loom. Haven't got a clue how I'll get that out without damaging the socket - any suggestions?

IMG_0028.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Or, to fix the brake light using a soldering iron, 6 inches of .5 guage multicore and a crimp kit:

twisty1.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

twisty2.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

twisty3.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Cheers for now,

Deek.

Edited by Jon