Mk2 Arosa 1.4 8v Vs Mk2 Arosa 1.4 16v sport + TDI & other cars

The subtle modder

Generally with VW engines the 8v do have better low end charectoristics, its only once you get past about 3500-4000rpm the benefits of having 16valves will start to show.
yes i found that with the sport, the harder you reved it the beter it went (totally different to my 8v) but the lupo just was nothing like and the tdi off course was like mine in many ways
Thanks for that smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I know what you mean about the 1.4 8v, been driving a 6n for the last week and it's surprisingly torquey and long geared, feels like how I thought my old 1.6 6n should have! I've got used to it very quickly during the daily slog to work and I'm wondering if when I start using the 1.0 it'll feel gutless in comparison and pi$$ me off.
i love the engine but think it can be improved in many ways which i have future plans for wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

wayne

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How loud was the ticking of the diesel engine compared to a pertrol? wasit the same loudness as most diesels? as i wouldnt mind one its just that i wouldnt wasnt to hae my radio on full everytime i got in the car to sound it out. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Corie

It was quite loud and chuggy to be honest which was very noticeable at any time at a junction which to be fair is totally different from my mates seemingly more refinded pug HDI but lets be fair here as many on here have proved you have a TDi for fuel ecconomy really where i get 35mpg a tdi would probably get 55mpg so for every bad point i point out theres always that to point out and lets face it its got to be the most cheap to tune engine fitted in a lupo/arosa?

Youd have loved this TDi cozboz as it was in your colour wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

wayne

ah you should have taken pic lol so i could drool (sp?) over it wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" /> yer there pretty easy to tune ive seen...with the same bhp as a sport but with all those extra torques laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> lool

took a few pics but my phone data cable is buggered angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

wayne

Edit: just found you a sport = http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200620236060243

Edited by The subtle modder

Expensive!! blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

This thread is really interesting to read. I know my car feels totally different to my mates, his has done 70k and mine has done 8k laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

But then I know that two people have learned to drive in mine so maybe other bits will feel a bit more worn. TBH you'll never drive two cars that are the same.

Very good to know how the others drive.

I would like to drive a TDi as im thinking of getting one but i can never find a good one in my area.

Expensive!! blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

This thread is really interesting to read. I know my car feels totally different to my mates, his has done 70k and mine has done 8k laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

But then I know that two people have learned to drive in mine so maybe other bits will feel a bit more worn. TBH you'll never drive two cars that are the same.

Wow 8K is really low, that was a good find wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Wow 8K is really low, that was a good find wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Just a case of a person learning to drive, I think they weren't very good and gave up! Hence parents stuck with a newish car which has done tiny mileage. Step in meeeeee biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Just a case of a person learning to drive, I think they weren't very good and gave up! Hence parents stuck with a newish car which has done tiny mileage. Step in meeeeee biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

haha laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> get in! nice one

I wouldnt be bothered about mileage on a TDI engine tbh, its well known the PD engines dont even start to 'break in' properly till about 90-100,000 miles! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I wouldnt be bothered about mileage on a TDI engine tbh, its well known the PD engines dont even start to 'break in' properly till about 90-100,000 miles! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

so in theory a higher mileage car would have better performance? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Bizarely, Yes !!! You just need to make sure the suspension & chassis setup is still holding up alright though, not really a problem if your going to lower & tune it with new parts laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Edited by Max69vk

took a few pics but my phone data cable is buggered angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

wayne

Edit: just found you a sport = http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...200620236060243

Nice colour on the sport there wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> is expensive though!

i second the comments on the 1.0. not as crap as everyone makes out. its quite quick around town and very agile for getting through small gaps and around things. Ive found it actulli managed to accelerate faster than a 1.4 306. i had to rev it to nearly 4k but it still managed it.

Yeah i agree, the 1.0 isnt all that bad, brilliant round town and good on the motorway once you have got to motor way speeds rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Nice colour on the sport there wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> is expensive though!

thought it was perfect for cozboz as its his car with a sport engine basically smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

wayne

Yeah i agree, the 1.0 isnt all that bad, brilliant round town and good on the motorway once you have got to motor way speeds rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

agreed people criticise them unnescessarily

wayne

• 2 weeks later...

personally, coming from a car like yours with more torque low down but a lack of topend power i would love a sport!! i get frustrated with mine when i see the needle movin closer to the redline and nothin more is happening. but thats just my opinion.

yeah aggreed its a bit frustrating when no matter how hard you rev it totally stops going after about 4500 but its the low down pull in all gears that its designed for really sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> which the sport doesnt really have and the 75bhp 16v 1.4 lupo had neither it was free revving all the way but just didnt have any livliness to it its miles away from the arosa sport i test drove

wayne

• 2 weeks later...
So in theory a higher mileage car would have better performance?

absolutely. that's what in my family we have experienced with my 1.0 arosa (http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21812). it was bought in 1997 and is just over 100.000km now.

it's not only about the mileage, but the "education" you give the car. for the first 4 years my mother drove it and when i inherited it was still sleepy. when my father drives it nowadays he totally feels new rage in the car. i always drive it between 3500 and 5000rpm in 2nd to 4th and to 6000 in 5th, the car is just used to go in that range, and therefore "asks" you to rev up since the beginning. truth is you can almost stall it in a lower range lol but the 1.0 can be very angry some times, especially if before thinking in putting a 1.4 16v you change the wheels, rims, brakes and suspension and drive fast through any corner at relatively constant speeds. that means flooring it (which is not much of an acceleration), but then keeping the speed in reasonable limits so you don't have to brake much. if you do, you'll need more acceleration at the exit of a corner than what this engine can provide.

Edited by luiscamino

heres an odd change all of a sudden my car likes to rev confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> and no i havent dont the sport engine transplant yet laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> it used to stop about 4000 revs but these last couple of weeks it just gained some revs from somewhere and is still pulling bloody strong at 5000 surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" /> really loving driving it, its permanent power now smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

still dont know how its happened though huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

wayne

• 5 months later...

I know its an old thread but im just reading it again so i thought id add what i think of my arosas.

Well ive had my TDi for just over 3 months and ive done about 5,500 miles in that time in it and im loving it, it does everything i need from a car, very economical (i average about 55 - 60MPG), fairly quick, pleanty of space for my needs and a great motorway cruiser for its size.

Well noise wise i dont agree that its noisy, it is on these cold winter morning but once its warm it quietens down and at motorway speeds you just cart tell from the noise that its a diesel as there is no engine noise at all, unlike my 1.0 reving at near 4Krpm on the motorway.

Well if you mean the first gear is short then yes it is quite short in terms of you dont stay in it for long, but it has loads of pull and easily spins the wheels from junctions.

Im really impressed with the performance, ive been using my 1.0 for most of this week as my TDi was in the body shop, so its nice to have the TDi back and enjoy the power it has. It pulls well in every gear and pulls no problem from 60 in 5th no problem, but no it doesnt do 5th gear at 30 but then ive never driven a diesel that will, but is fine in 4th as the gearing is longer than the petrols.

Well after driving the 1.0 then going to the TDi, the TDi has much better front end grip, although that could be tyres as the 1.0 has two odd ones on the front and contis on the back (i should put them on the rear really) and the TDi has two new yokohamas and newish firestones on the rear

Braking wise, i think the TDi brakes are much better than the 1.0 but the 1.0 does without vented discs and the TDi discs are quite a bit bigger and vented. The brake pedal does down quite a bit before the brakes come on unlike the 1.0.

Also the clutch and steering is lighter on the TDi but the steering weightens up once at speed. The only thing is the TDi clutch has quite a high biting point but that could just be my car, is there any way the hydraulic clutch can be adjusted?

Overall i think i have definately made the right decision buying a TDi and im planning on keeping it a couple of years at least, as i really cannot think of another new car (and ive driven a few) that i would want to swap it for.

The only think i would say is the 1.0 is better for town driving because it warms up quicker and seems to use less fuel as a result, but only in the town, out of town and the TDi is the best choice.

Chris

Edited by cardaft

Nice update Cardaft its good to know how the models compare when in real life use and the odd thing i find from what you said is something i noted above that the TDI front end sticks far better going into corners huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> i have had Dunlop sports, Michelin energys and Toyo proxes on my arosa so its not the tyre choice i think personally it may be the TDI being a haevier unit so keeps it planted but not sure confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

the one i test drive was noisy on the engine sound to be honest but as said i dont think it was the best example and even though it wasnt i was and still am impressed by it

test drive list for imformation purposes below is all the cars test drove in search for my perfect car i have updated with cars driven out of the VAG group

1996 Fiat cinquecento 899 SX my old car it was brilliant but needed to be driven really hard to get any power

2001 Fiat Seicento 1.1 sporting Abarth very good nice car as quick as the 1.4 arosa nearly and nice equal handling

2001 Mk2 Arosa 1.4 TDi S When its on boost its great but i felt it was un smooth and any other gear than 2nd or 3rd at a push seemed hopeless round town etc

2002 Mk2 Arosa 1.4 16v sport Great at everything except i found myself changing down a bit

2003 Mk2 Arosa 1.0 S All round great car totally smooth, not that slow really and a fun nippy little car

2001 VW Lupo 1.4 16v (75bhp) Didnt like it at all bot me and my dad thought my mums 1.4 8v arosa is better any day it had no power in any gear really, was smooth but not what expected

2005 Ford Ka 1.3 Base good car with reasonable pull, good steering feel and handles nice as standard but same as the saxo it excelss in no area the build quality doesnt seem that good the interior is crap but for the price these are a damn good car £5k new ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

My 2003 Mk2 Arosa 1.4 8v S love it (being non biased) No matter what the gear round town etc or cruising along put your foot down and it starts pulling along NON of the above do that in 4th or 5th at 30, once warmed up it moves along swiftly its got a nice whistle at 3000 revs and handles nice but brakes are crap and disapointed that like a tdi you get to 4500 and it stops going anywhere

Mums 2004 Mk2 Arosa 1.4 8v s Different than mine although the same car in reality, both parents have said that mine pulls better, drives smoother and is in generall better than my mums which is just a year older

2006 Fiat Punto 1.9 Multijet diesel sporting lovely car nice handling sits flat on corners and still has some feel through steering the power is amazing 130bhp and as standard it feels seriously quick, nice gear change IMO looks spot on one simple problemn in my oppinion and the reason i didnt have it is £12,500 is too much money for it

2003 MINI Cooper 1.6 16v shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> if you want a Drivers car and can get cheap insurance and arent too bothered about speed then buy one of these easily one off if not THE best handling car i have driven the steering weight is spot on the looks IMO are amazing wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" /> i didnt have one because its grp 8 insurance and even after hard driving i felt it to be slow compared to others

2001 Citroen Saxo VTR 1.6 8v Nice car but no power band so to speak good handling and steering feel but IMO excells in no area except availability of aftermarket parts

2004 Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 16v SRi & ExclusivVery good car as youd expect it needs to driven hard to get the power but its good and in Exclusiv trim is very well specced with heated pin hole full leather, electric windows, electric heated mirrors, climate controll, RCL, 16" Alloys, bodykit, tinted windows and rear lights and this is allstandard factory equiptment i didnt have this car as i lost out on it by three minutes and never found another anywhere near me sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

2005 & 2003 Ford SportKA 1.6 8v The ultimate? shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> the KA is in base 1.3 form as above a good car but i easily forgot about it the 1.6 sportka how ever is a totally different animal lively all the time no matter what the revs, very good steering feel and directness spot on handling, one of if not the best gearbox i have used in a car being very short throw and thunks as you go in each gear, the looks are drastically improved with a wide arch bodykit and 16's as standard and in the 03 SE spec i drove the full two tone leather is nice and comfy but unfortunately unsupportive this car is heavily let down as with the base ka by its crap dash and centre console which feel cheap and same again with the steering wheel the lack of one touch electric windows which an annoying thing also

i was that impressed with this car i sent my dad to test drive it and he was just as impressed these are a seriously good car which IMO is what and arosa sport should be like on handling etc i do feel it is let down by the general build quality and interior quality and little things like the windows there is alos one major good thing about this car insurance grp 6 which to anyone who pays insurance will know is damn good

2006 Vauxhall Tigra 1.8 16v exclusive should have been good but wasnt even though 1.8 and insurance grp 11-12 0-60 still takes over 10 seconds the handling and steering was good same as the corsa on which it is based but on power i found myself constantly going near and above 7000 revs to get somewhere and on this point it disapointed me £15,500 isnt bad though for full heated leather, cruise controll and electric convertible

2006 Suzuki Swift 1.5 GLX all round IMO an overpriced car i was very disapointed with this one it had no power at all even though when driving i hit the limiter twice trying to gain more it wasnt working the steering and handling felt ok but the saxo, ka, corsa and punto all easily out do it

2006 Citroen C2 VTS 1.6 16v very nice car seemed to have permant pull even though 16v no matter what gear i was in the looks imo are good and well balanced the steering feel i felt could have been better after driving the saxo although the handling felt generally good, the engine sounded nice and pulled well although the gearbox wasnt any where near as nice as the Sportka its a very good car and 125bhp and 60 in 8 seconds is gti territory and for insurance grp 8 but the interior although the elctric digital guages are nice the rest felt and look poor the seats werent that comfy or supportive overall these cars even when new are a very good buy with new being £9500 and i have seen good 04 examples for £5-6k i just dont think it feels special

after all this though i still have the arosa but dont worry very early new year i should hopefully be updating this yet again with the chosen car wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder