VW SAT NAV MFD etc etc etc...

How easy is it to take the CD Player and Cassette thingy out of the Lupo-S and put in the GTi Sat-Nav or other VW sat-Nav devices?

I am interested in selling my 2 standard units and replacing them with the MFD Unit.

If anyone is interested in my used BUT AS BRAND NEW CONDITION standard units please Private Message me!

Thanks.

What, you mean this one?:

MFD1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Nah, you'll never get that in wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

In all seriousness - as you can see, I've done it. I think the DIN cage is smaller, and it's a tight fit, but it does go.

I've also fitted a TMC box smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

(And a phatnoise!)

Edited by bossjohnc

You *DO* need the P&P wiring with the MFD.

You *DO NOT* need the P&P wiring with the MCD.

You need in all...

For the MCD:

• MCD Sat Nav Unit
  • GPS Antenna
  • DX Navigation CD (with TMC if you want TMC)

For the MFD:

• MFD Sat Nav Unit D or G
  • GPS Antenna
  • DX Navigation CD (with TMC if you want TMC*)
  • P&P Cable - (you'll need the TMC P&P Cable if you want TMC)
  • *TMC Box (if you want TMC)

It's also worth noting that the MCD Sat Nav plays audio CDs (although not when using navigation, as the Nav CD is required!).

The MFD does not play audio CDs, so it's a good idea to think about a boot changer, a phatnoise or a dension ipod connector.

Ooh, another thing - the US phatnoises are known to be tempremental with MFD version Gs, so best to get a D if you're getting a phatnoise from ebay!

Edited by bossjohnc

You *DO* need the P&P wiring with the MFD.

You *DO NOT* need the P&P wiring with the MCD.

Will have a look on ebay then.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but does anyone have the MFD Navigation cd/dvd as I need this also rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Hmm... I have an original.

I spent a fair amount of time trying to get a copy to work, but they have unbelievably good copy protection.

You could try your luck with one of the copies on ebay, but you'll be lucky to see it working I think.

[*]DX Navigation CD (with TMC if you want TMC*)

[*]P&P Cable - (you'll need the TMC P&P Cable if you want TMC)

[*]*TMC Box (if you want TMC)

Probably a stupid question I know but what is TMC and do I need it confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Also, I assume the MFD Version D will only work with Navigation CD's and NOT Navigation DVD's (or so I've been told) confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Edited by Phantom Photon

TMC tells you where traffic jams are and guides you around them. The MCD (later version) has this built in. Don't touch the earlier MCD with a barge pole as CDs are very hard to get hold of/out of date. You can identify it by it's lack of TMC button.

MFD D and G won't work with DVDs. I think the MFDII (doesn't fit in the lupo) does. You need a Teleatlas DX CD.

TMC tells you where traffic jams are and guides you around them. The MCD (later version) has this built in. Don't touch the earlier MCD with a barge pole as CDs are very hard to get hold of/out of date. You can identify it by it's lack of TMC button.

MFD D and G won't work with DVDs. I think the MFDII (doesn't fit in the lupo) does. You need a Teleatlas DX CD.

Thanks biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Got a MFD Version D so I assume I'll need this then Very expensive map!!!!

You replied to my post/thread by saying the above. You stated that one of them doesn't fit. Which ones just slot in with no problems/hassle??

Either MFD, G or D fit and also the MCD.

The MFDII is found in the MKV Golf, Toureg, New Passat etc and is quite obviously the wrong shape.

Everything is a bit of a hassle though, as you need to fit an antenna (not too much bother, but involves removing the centre of the dash for the best reception).

Yes, the maps are expensive! If you're willing to go a couple of years out of date, they're cheaper (as people replace their existing ones).

The TMC discs are more like £130.