GTI headlamp self levelling failure

Hello,

Recently my headlamps have been dropping down and point about 2m in front of me (which isnt nice!) and they were doing it permanently until I took it in the VW garage.

Now here is where I need some advice.

VW said there faults found in the 'fault memory', adjusted them to the normal height and disabled the auto levelling. Said they 'maybe faulty' and they recommend that I replace both lights (around £250 each!). I said yea right and am happy using the lights as they are. coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

has anyone experienced this before? Can anyone tell me if its normal to have to replace both lights just to sort a the self levelling of the headlamps? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Your comments are appreciated

thats a load of crap, soz, but if you open the headlight there is a little motor that adjusts the height of the headlight (i am trying to get mine to level by means of the adjuster that an arosa has)

anyways, there is no need to replace the whole headlight if thats blown, but even if it had blown then the headlight wouldnt adjust at all.

I would say its the sensor that actually detects that the car is unlevel in the first place thats faulty

or ... has the socket jumped out on the leveling motor ? i know bossjohnc had this problem and vw replaced the headlight

Edited by Blackrat

i have a GTI and would like to know how you can test this self leveling thing, cos mine dont seem to do it.

i found the lights were a little low so adjusted the allen screws and all seems like normal lights ( except they are bright)