GTI Curious little changes

ludo

Comparing my Y plate Loop with Grapo's 04, noticed that his engine cover says 'GTI', whereas mine says '1.6 16v'.

Not earth shattering info, but out of interest, does anyone know of any other little tweaks like this over the years?

coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be a varity of engine badges for some reason..........most are 1.6 16V

I have noticed this when looking around at GTi's previously - mine says GTi on the cover, but quite a few were the above.

My GTi badge on the grill and boot does not have the red 'I'. That's different as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Al

I'll check for differences between mine (54 plate) and Jens (51 plate). I know that the gear gaiter is different. Jens has red stitching to match the steering wheel, mine doesn't.

I check for other changes tonight

Lots and lots of differences... the handbrake handle wasn't leather later on, and the grab handles were no longer dampened unless you bought a sunroof.

Not sure if my handbrake handle is leather actually... will have to look later.

My grab handles are dampened though - they're coooooool. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I have a one off steering wheel fitted by mistake!

Later bonnet and boot struts were black as well.

So what we are saying is that older GTI's are better laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Mine are twice as blue as yours tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

we have climate control Rob we win!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Oh yeah! Forgot about the silver struts becoming black ones. But what's with not bothering to paint the 'I' in GTI red?

How much cash does that save??? wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

And talking of damped grab handles (oooh yes) why have I got one on my side? Surely I'm not being encouraged to steer with my third leg?

Edited by ludo

I have one xenon more blue than the other... blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Well ner ner ni ner ner,

I've got a 6 speed with chrome bonnet/boot struts, damped handles, clip down mats (front and back).

And as Ty says climate control tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

And red I's tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

But what's with not bothering to paint the 'I' in GTI red?

How much cash does that save??? wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

They are completely different badges. All they are is stick on - someone on here has the GTi on the front grill really near the VW centre badge. I'm guessing as mine was a late model, they ran out of red I badges.

Clip down mats in the rear?!? blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

(My mats have red piping too...)

Yep, and of course my mats have the red piping too tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Clip down mats in the rear?!? blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I have clip and twist one's on all four mats tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />