Sway Bar?

Dubya

Anyone ever come across a tuning firm that produces sway bars for the Lupo GTI? I've got some spacer shims to run 0.5 degrees of negative camber on the rear wheels, and want to put a sway bar across the rear axle...

Any help appreciated wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Is this what your looking for?

http://www.srbpower.com/hr/anti-roll-bars.php

I take it a sway bar is another name for a Anti roll bar?

Nope. An anti-roll bar goes from an eye on one side, to an eye on the other, and connects the two wheels. A sway bar bolts to your axle, and stops it from twisting or bending under load. Like a strengthening strip...

wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

where did you get them shims ? jon said the part numbers where wrong ?

Volkswagen Motorsport... They're shims used to set the rear camber on the Lupo Cup Car tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Edited by Dubya

worth contacting vwm again and asking if they made a sway bar to go with your shims dubya?

They never made one for the Lupo itself. Only the Golf's used in the Cup, came with them. It's £349 for a sway bar off a mk1 Golf, and I don't really fancy chopping one up at that price, and altering it to fit huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Usually people like Neuspeed, or Eibach make them. I was just curious to know if anyone had spotted any on't net... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

No, that's still an anti-roll bar lol

A sway bar is a straight length of tubing, the full width of the rear axle. It as 4 small branches on it; 2 on either end, that have a fixing hole through them. The sway bar is bolted to the axle itself in those 4 places. It's there to increase strength, and stop any flexing of the axle itself.

Why are they calling them sway bars on the site?

And why is there mounting holes, when anti roll bars are only fixed to bushes?

LMAO. You've obviously never taken an Audi apart then... Anti-roll bars don't just fit into bushes. There's several different applications; and consequently several different fittings. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

But the rear beam is basically a larger anti roll bar.

The sway bars will do the same thing.

No. No road going Golf ever came with a sway bar. Volkswagen Motorsport only ever fitted them to Cup Cars to reduce understeer in the Golf chassis.

The Anti-roll bar on a Golf runs through the rear axle...

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You've obviously never taken an Audi apart then...

Nope your right, the Lupos the only car I've taken apart wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

That still doesn't explain why its listed as a sway bar.

I've sent them an e-mail to clear it up.

That is a sway bar, for a mk4 Golf...

131971507.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

That still doesn't explain why its listed as a sway bar.

American Terminology...

Edited by Dubya

Thats what i meant. The solid bar that runs through the beam.

If you cut that bar out and put a thicker one in it would stiffen the beam in principle.

Its exactly the same as a rear anti roll bar. stiffen the rear to induce some oversteer. Just instead of being a U shaped bar that connects via the wheels, its a straight bar that spans across the beam.

Regardless of the right name, they will do the same thing. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

In reply to the original question, I've never come across any for the lupo. Its hard enough getting simple upgrade parts.

Maybe you could make one wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Thats what i meant. The solid bar that runs through the beam.

If you cut that bar out and put a thicker one in it would stiffen the beam in principle.

Its exactly the same as a rear anti roll bar. stiffen the rear to induce some oversteer. Just instead of being a U shaped bar that connects via the wheels, its a straight bar that spans across the beam.

Regardless of the right name, they will do the same thing. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

In reply to the original question, I've never come across any for the lupo. Its hard enough getting simple upgrade parts.

Maybe you could make one wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I can see what your getting at, but no. They're not the same.

An anti-roll bar is there to reduce body roll. It connects both road wheels together, to complete a rigidity circuit. Therefore, the bigger the anti-roll bar, the less body roll you have. Stiffer on the rear, reduces the understeer the car may have, by reducing the body roll that causes it.

A sway bar is there for strength, and only strength. It does not reduce body roll. It's only there to minimize any twisting in the axle itself, when the rear wheels are running negative camber. Granted, stiffening the rear axle will alter the understeering characteristics of a chassis.

Ok, Now you mention the -Ve camber i see what you mean. You mean the twisting of the outer part of the beam, ther would be more leverage on the beam through the wheel with more camber.

You should have said in the first place. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

You should have said in the first place. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Erm... I did. Look...

Anyone ever come across a tuning firm that produces sway bars for the Lupo GTI? I've got some spacer shims to run 0.5 degrees of negative camber on the rear wheels, and want to put a sway bar across the rear axle...

Any help appreciated wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I've since sorted it, so... hey ho... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Two things...may be wrong with both.

1. I thought the Lupo rear axle (beam) had an internal torsion bar acting as an anti roll bar so no need to buy another one. I do not thing the rear of the Lupo has enough weight to require any further anti roll material.

2. I do not understand how more neg rear camber puts more load on the beam.

If you fit camber washers at the radius arm pivot you are pretty much pivoting the radius arm at the same point on the end of the axle so the moment acting on the end of the axle is pretty mush unchanged?

If you fit camber washers at the hub end of the radius arm then again you are not really increasing the moment acting on the axle either.

I would have thought that either moving the radius arm further outwards on the ends of the axle (not sure how you would even do this) or fitting rear wheel spacers would have the most dramatic effects on the rear axle loading.

Stiffer springs may impose more loading theough the bearings on the radius arms where they pivot on the axle but not sure on much else.