Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

any chance of a short run or CF bonnets?

i'll get one made and then see what the boss has to say!, if its going to be a long job then i cant see him letting me use the facilities but i'll do one in the next month orso then let you all see the pics.

i have a dead line for getting the car in a reasonable state, i have been told that i HAVE to go to silverstone for a thrash around on the full grand prix circuit in feb of next year. how long is that going to take at a flatout speed of 100mph!! the twisty complex will be very amusing though, i'm sure i can upset a few bigger more expensive car owners through the twisty bits. Hopefully by that time the cage and seats will be in also the camera mount to film the whole thing.. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

Seen how the 1l eninge is just about dead what you replacing it with?

Another 1 litre, this time alot more seriously tuned. i was going to fit a larger engine but then the weight issues and the hassle of modding the driveshafts and mounts,fuel system, wiring looms and ecu, etc,etc made me put the stops on that. So a tuned 1 litre bored to the maximum without penetrating the water jacket, lightened planed crank and aero profile con-rods, slipper pistons and a big valve head. the fueling is yet to be decided on, either TB's or go old skool carbs. i'm not sure yet.

The 1400 and 1600 engines use the same driveshafts and mounts bud.

The 1400 engine doesnt seem any heavier than the 1000 engine that I took out.

TBH mate, if it was me, Id be dropping a 1400 engine in there.

The 1400 and 1600 engines use the same driveshafts and mounts bud.

The 1400 engine doesnt seem any heavier than the 1000 engine that I took out.

TBH mate, if it was me, Id be dropping a 1400 engine in there.

do you know if the loom is the same? that way a 1400 could be taken to a 1500 and thats around the size for alot of power. the last thing i feel like doing is messing with looms and ecu's but if they are the same then thats the way forward.

The 1400 can be taken to 1700cc wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

The loom of my engine is diffrent, but thats because the engine I am replacing it with is from a 75bhp Polo so came with a cable operated throttle.

The 1L loom extra multi plug connection that I have not been able to figure out what for yet. My guess is its for the fylby wire, but you'd know better than me on that one.

The ECU wouldn't work.

But changing the loom and ECU to a 1400 engine wouldnt be difficult buddy.

Probably the easiest part of the swap!

not happy, VW must be telling tales about the standard car weighing 946kg, my first session on the scales shows the car at 800kg. more work to be done yet!! not happy again!!

this weight was with half a tank of fuel, standard battery until i get the box for the racing battery,and spare wheel fitted. so thats another 32kg to take off yet, still have the airbags and controller to remove. its not too bad but i was hoping to be lighter.

Have you fitted the cage yet?

no but have taken that into account, it should be here either this week or next. once it arrives it'll go in and i'll try to get the corner weights equal on each axle and a 60/40 front to rear split. althought the car is almost 60/40 split at the moment.

the cage has arrived over the weekend, looks like its going to be a fairly good fit (fingers crossed). The worst part is that the roof lining has to come out for it to fit! wet drippy mornings, so i'll get the cage in then stick something on the roof between the cage. i'll get some pics on of the progress shortly.

Any more progress?

made lots of progress over the last few days, the interior is completely stripped out.the only thing in there is the dash and wheel, 2 race seats and a gear stick.The roof lining is out along with the insulation.the cage is now in and all i can say is what a difference it has made to the handling, the car thinks its cool to lift a rear wheel of the deck whilst cornering hard!! i'll get some photo's on over the weekend.

I got a suggestion to help you trim down the weight of your loop.

Lose the great big nutter in the drivers seat!

you is crazy as hell man wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I got a suggestion to help you trim down the weight of your loop.

Lose the great big nutter in the drivers seat!

you is crazy as hell man wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Sounds like you know me quite well !!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

As promised heres a picture of how its coming along,the car now has the cage in,has to come back out to be painted black, the seat is in and i will have the passenger seat finished shortly. I decided to weld a rear strut brace in rather than go for the bolt in style,easier and i already had the welder out! The car started life at 978kg and now weighs 711kg with 3/4 tank of fuel, so maybe with a little more drilling and panel cutting i can hit the 700kg or below.

lupoandissy008.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Looking good.

Where was the largest amount of weight lost in the partss you removed? As a general, I think mine was all the wiring.

the front seats had the biggest saving, they weighed 24kg each! the next best saving was the sound deadening under the carpet and on the bulk head, this weighed 20kg or a little more, but it was also very wet, the front right side had alot of water in it which i later found to be the scuttle panel drain holes blocked by slime and the odd leaf.

After boredom set in watching tv i decided to go spend an hour in the garage making a front lower subframe brace.it has made a big difference to the subframe rigidityand hopefully will help on the handling issues the car has after fitting wider wheels and tyres.to keep with the lightening theme its made from very thinwall chrome moly steel, very light material yet strong..!!

lower1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

lower2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

i want one wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

i was going to buy one but i needed to escape the house! very simple to make, all you need is a saw,welder and a little tubing and 2 washers.