Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

not meening to piss you off or offnd but getting close to 700 kgs is gonna be a major push and getting below is doubtlful sorry but you may prove me wrong

wayne --good luck

i hope i can prove you wrong!! i'm ready for the scales to read 850kg!! i have to make it lighter so i'l be cutting everything i see in half or taking it out altogether. time will tell.

well good luck and one tip i learnt from my mini is to remove the bitumen (sp) sound proofing from the floor it weighed loads if your lupo has ABS (doubt it) but if it does you could remove that system as i know a lad who did on his corsa and said it weighed a bit in total but not the kind of weight your after

wayne

i'm currently taking the power steering off. I took the belt off and went for a quick drive to see if i could handle the extra weight on the steering without the power assistance, it's not as heavy as i was expecting and it will get slightly lighter with the rack seals out. the biggest thing i noticed was the engines response,it seems to rev alot quicker. any how, back to the cold garage to sort the alternator belt and remove the rack.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

Thats the steering finished, very easy to get off and suprisingly heavy too, the pump and pipes with the resevoir weighs in at a heftty 6.8 kg. plus the engine doesnt have to pump the oil around either so a nice days work i think. i have some interior piccys below, once the roll cage arrives i'll get it fitted along with the race seats and post new pics.

lupoandissy006.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

lupoandissy007.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Getting on great there! Still think chopping the dash in half would look cool!

Been working on the Golf today and reminded me how heavy the battery is. Does such a thing as a lightweight battery exist? Gotta save a few kgs.

oh yes lightweight batteries are the way to go, i'm fitting a 4.2kg race battery. if you search on the demon tweeks website for race batteries you will find them. demon tweeks sell the Varley red top type, though many others are available and alot cheaper too. all you need to remember is they wont power an install at all. only the bare minimum.

i'm not sure about cutting the dashboard in half, i may look at making a carbon top though, i'll have to talk nice to the boss for a while!!

Ditch the heater matrix, then strip the dash down to its bare minimal, basically just the carcas what what is essential then get it flocked, thats what i would do!

Those inner rear 1/4's dont look too structural either (around the speaker mounts) so id be tempted to swiss cheese them, hehe!

Hot air gun on the floor should get rid of those dampening panels, they usually weigh quite a bit.

fibreglass bonnets and tailgates, it goes on and on, hehe!

I guess harness' will be fitted along with the seats, that should save some weight aswell, as there wont be any intertia mechanisms.

Lee.

Ditch the heater matrix, then strip the dash down to its bare minimal, basically just the carcas what what is essential then get it flocked, thats what i would do!

Those inner rear 1/4's dont look too structural either (around the speaker mounts) so id be tempted to swiss cheese them, hehe!

Hot air gun on the floor should get rid of those dampening panels, they usually weigh quite a bit.

fibreglass bonnets and tailgates, it goes on and on, hehe!

I guess harness' will be fitted along with the seats, that should save some weight aswell, as there wont be any intertia mechanisms.

Lee.

the rear panels are like paper,i will be cutting them out and covering the remaining holes with blue self adhesive vinyl to make it look pretty without adding any weight. i'll be keeping the heater though, i took it out on my clio wiliams and regreted it. always cold, always steaming up! The other thing to remember is this car will still be a daily driver so needs to have a certain amount of civility. it will have a passenger seat and harness but that will come out for the racing weekends. one bad thing about having true race seats is i wont be able to pick up any women! they wont fit in them, so tiny in width. but hey, it keeps the girlfriend happy...

Looking good, but what are you going to do about the doors?

i'm planning on taking the trim off and removing the side impact bars, if any are fitted in there! i'll be cutting any excess material from them and re-fitting the trim but lightened off as much as possible.i dont think i need to remove the panels and refit something else simply because the trim should weigh very little,(i hope).

Yep, it does come with side impact bars.

I was thinking more about the lower cards as you say you work with carbon why not make some?

i'm not so sure that making the lower cards in carbon would save anything worth while, plastics aren't dissimilar to carbonfibre in regards to their weight.well. not in this case anyway. i'll take them off and see what they weigh, if they are heavy then i'll look at them, tomorrows job if the rain holds off,along with the racing battery been fitted to the passenger footwell.

one bad thing about having true race seats is i wont be able to pick up any women! they wont fit in them, so tiny in width. but hey, it keeps the girlfriend happy...

Since you're taking the passenger seat out for races, couldn't you buy something more civilised (And probably cheaper than full race seats)?

Since you're taking the passenger seat out for races, couldn't you buy something more civilised (And probably cheaper than full race seats)?

i could have but it would have looked a little silly, the roll cage, a racing seat and a standard-ish seat in the passenger side. The good thing about having the 2 race seats is if anything happens on the road we will both be held in tight rather than me been held tight and the passenger sliding around.it also allows for the cars use on navigational scatter road rallies. (staying within the law, honest)

Oh, I didn't mean a standardish seat (sorry, should have made that clear). Just meant a slightly less extreme race seat. Some of them can be pretty comfy, yet still very effective.

Oh, I didn't mean a standardish seat (sorry, should have made that clear). Just meant a slightly less extreme race seat. Some of them can be pretty comfy, yet still very effective.

i could have gone a little cheaper,finding one that looked similar to the race seat would have taken a while so going for the 2 identical seat was the quick and easy option.

Getting on great there! Still think chopping the dash in half would look cool!

Been working on the Golf today and reminded me how heavy the battery is. Does such a thing as a lightweight battery exist? Gotta save a few kgs.

i have been out in the cold changing the battery. its now on the race battery, a little difference in size and weight, the original is 11kg and the race battery is 4.4kg! another saving.

lupoandissy001.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

lupoandissy003.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

lupoandissy002.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

hey, good work on the lightening, you kinda beat me to it all, i'm planning to do a lightweight Lupo, but will start with a 3L as panels, suspension and glass are already lightweight, plus i love LHD so thats the selling point. Underseal, all trim, anything unnecessary will all be binned, exterior mirrors except for drivers and anything else that gets in the way. The engine and trans wont be the standard tdi and tiptronic, thats where the progress will stop, just waiting and wondering what to install. time will tell. the ashtray, extra switches and all grommets will be binned too. whatever comes off will be sold or thrown away but weighed to see what weight it is from the standard kerb weight. a lightweight starter and alt will also be used along with something light in the wheel dept. car will be 4 occasional use

hey, good work on the lightening, you kinda beat me to it all, i'm planning to do a lightweight Lupo, but will start with a 3L as panels, suspension and glass are already lightweight, plus i love LHD so thats the selling point. Underseal, all trim, anything unnecessary will all be binned, exterior mirrors except for drivers and anything else that gets in the way. The engine and trans wont be the standard tdi and tiptronic, thats where the progress will stop, just waiting and wondering what to install. time will tell. the ashtray, extra switches and all grommets will be binned too. whatever comes off will be sold or thrown away but weighed to see what weight it is from the standard kerb weight. a lightweight starter and alt will also be used along with something light in the wheel dept. car will be 4 occasional use

depending on how mad you are going to take the car then look at the alternator and power steering pump mount, its made from cast alloy and weighs alot, also i have taken the pas off so i'll be making a very light bracket for the alternator anbd lowering it level with the sump, get the centre of gravity lower. Your project sounds the same as mine, light powerful and very basic!

good progress but more pics are needed of the car and pile of stuff removed etc ive seen this done loads on mini's but its more interesting on a lupo as its something i can relate to and another thing what about a lightweight radiator? carbon bootfloor (pressed wheel well wont be as light) just a few thoughts

wayne

good progress but more pics are needed of the car and pile of stuff removed etc ive seen this done loads on mini's but its more interesting on a lupo as its something i can relate to and another thing what about a lightweight radiator? carbon bootfloor (pressed wheel well wont be as light) just a few thoughts

wayne

i'll do some pics of the stuff removed over the weekend. the lupo radiator is very light as standard so i dont think i could save much by changing it, as for the floor pan, i have thought about cutting the wheel well out and put an aluminium plate over the hole, but i need to build confidence to slice the car up!! i have sort of twisted my boss into allowing me to make a carbonfibre bonnet! i'll need to keep on nagging him but he said i could do it!