Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

A little update, I now have a few days of lupo playing so this morning I started with the rear suspension and engine. The engine is now mounted in the rear and the suspension is just about ready for me to weld together after a few more cuts. The VW subframe is as heavy as the earth itself so I have made a light tubular version.

As you can see in the picture I have covered the engine as I dont want anyone to see it yet!!! More to follow over the next few days.

DSC03946-1.jpg

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

A few more pictures, I now have the rear suspension built excluding the wishbone brackets but they will be welded in in the morning.

The car now sits happily on its own wheels which is a big step, so a few more tubes and bracket and the engine will be in too. :rolleyes:

Apologies for the rubbish pictures but its hard taking pictures with freezing cold hands and shiny metal.

DSC03962.jpg

DSC03964.jpg

The engine mounts are now in and the block, head and gearbox etc are fitted for reference marking. Its very strange seeing the car with wheels and engine after so long but its a welcome sight.

After spending a fair amount of time designing the rear top mounts to allow caster and camber adjustment I found I forgot to order the steel for them, so they are on hold until the new year when my supplier re-opens.

DSC039761.jpg

You sir are truely chicken oriental, i remember reading this thread many moons ago, and found it came to a bitter end with no updates :confused: , is this the thread i read about getting daft amount of BHP out off a 1L lump.

You sir are truely chicken oriental, i remember reading this thread many moons ago, and found it came to a bitter end with no updates :confused: , is this the thread i read about getting daft amount of BHP out off a 1L lump.

PM sent:shades:

cool project.

Either a bike engine, or its your 1l engine from the front in the back.

Is the space frame strong enough for much bigger?

John

The engine will remain unknown for a while! hehe

The spaceframe is strong enough to take 4.3 v8 with 700NM of torque so its upto any job.

Luke you cheeky sod, dont forget I will be visiting you soon!!!

B) if he Fathers me as well as he has his car i wont complain :lol: Just noticed your from milton keynes pall, you any where near the VW training centre or horwood house.

Yeah, I dont live to far away from the training centre, have you been there?

Look forward to the visit Darren, at this rate you might be visiting me in your lupo, shame its up in Leeds! Would love to come and help you build it! Just like old time but this one did not take 3 days :lol:

Would love to come and help you build it! Just like old time but this one did not take 3 days :lol:

My days of turning a road car into a race car in three days have gone! As you keep informing me I am too old now.

Caspergti, the weight so far is just tipping the scales at 300kg with the engine and gearbox. but i do have lots more to take from the front yet.

cool project.

Either a bike engine, or its your 1l engine from the front in the back.

Is the space frame strong enough for much bigger?

John

*cough* Edited for the fun *cough*

:coffee: :coffee:

Ill stick by my guns on this one.

1l engine from the front in the back, tweaked ofcourse, looks about the right sort of size Vs the blanking lol :shades:

Whats it going weigh? 400-500kgs?

Fun little toy that.

Your guns...

Oh really!!?

:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Edited by 99hjhm

Am i missing something or are you coming to visit me lol, i dint know you was in leeds, im only about an hour away so if you need a hand give us a shout :).

VWRLupo yes i was there at the start of the month, dint have the loop tho work made me take the train :angry:, and i will be down again in feb, i tell you what you southerners dont know what proper food is lol.

Am i missing something or are you coming to visit me lol, i dint know you was in leeds, im only about an hour away so if you need a hand give us a shout :).

I was aiming that at luke, VWRlupo. we are lovers from past days lol

you should really set your photobucket account to private ;)

It should be private, i will check.if you did see the engine then please keep it to yourself for a while as you will have seen the set up mule and not the actual engine.