Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Updates are slow! The car is in my workshop in Leeds and I am living in hertfordshire so the mileage gets in the way at the moment, BUT it will be getting alot done over the next couple of months as I get the engine fitted and the rear suspension finished. It should be on its wheels very soon.smile.gif

Edited to add, having just measured up the engine and suspension, it is going to be very tight! I have roughly 1mm to spare in width.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

• 3 weeks later...

Been at this thread all day onn and off laugh.gif

Can't wait for updates

I look forward to updates as much as the rest of you! I havent had a chance to get up to the car recently but I will be eating and sleeping LUPO in the next few weeks. I intend on having the engine in and as much of the rear suspension done as possible. Then its time for the composite floor and more cutting of the front end.

Heya bud, just spent 3 and a half hours reading every last post (as sad as that sounds) and i am absolutely amazed, you should write a book on this story. Good work, keep it up and i shall be following this from now on. You have my full respect my friend!!!

Cheers, James.

Had another good read of this myself, takes me back. Makes me want to start pulling things out of the lupo again. I knew coming back here would get me into trouble! :lol:

Someone was looking for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Lupo time starts in a couple of weeks as i stop work and play over christmas. The thin wall tubing is on order for the engine mountings, rear subframe and wishbones. It should be here in time if they stick to the order details!

SO, I will be charging the camera and getting on with more cutting and welding, hopefully showing you all the engine in the back at some point late december.

Using T45? Where are you getting it out of interest?

It is T45, 34mm OD, 1mm wall thickness. I get it from a random steel gate making guy near Leeds. He has alot of contacts in the steel supplies world so I take advantage hehe.

Edited to add: The two posts above are due to the forum throwing a morning spaz and doing whatever it wants!

I'll sell a couple of organs then and get back to you, anyway....how much you expecting the cage to weigh as persumably you'll make the body panels to be superficial only?

Make sure you only sell one of each, ah the heart erm!

The total weight of the completed car is hopefully going to be less than 400kg. I can lift and walk around with the spaceframe and body panels with the front suspension, including the wheels fitted. Flintstones style.

dont forget to cut a hole in the floor then...........400kg is optomistic, but full marks if you can do that!!

400kg is very realistic when you consider that all it needs adding to the current weight is the engine and rear suspension and 2 seats! Nothing on the car is double skinned,the only glass is the front screen and the only metal panels are the door skins,boot skin and rear panels. Everything else is either plastic or composite materials.

i take my hat off to you, you crazy man lol .

My dad would chop my balls off if i did that to my car lol

looking good tho keep up the good work

I'm past the age that my dad has a say, just! although he does still comment.