1 Litre Screamer

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I've always wanted to buy a really cheap 1.0E and strip the entire inside. I've seen this done with an engine converted Loop which had no dash whatsoever, no rear seats, no door panels, rear panels, boot panels or pillar panels, no carpets, no spare wheel (tyre weld for that), nothing that wasn't absolutely necessary. Are clocks (odometer) even a legal requirement?

Regardless, strip out all that weight and I mean really go for it, every panel on the car. Sell all that **** at top money on eBay. You'll probably make a fair whack if you're willing to wait for keen people to pay and make back what you paid for the little banger.

You've then got a 1.0E with literally no weight. Now I used to average 45MPG in a stock Lupo doing 80 miles a day. I wonder what that would rise to if you stripped everything out? 50MPG, maybe even 55MPG? You could make yourself a really efficient little cheap banger.

That said, I might be totally wrong and weight may not have that big an impact on fuel economy. It has some impact for sure, but am I over-egging it?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
14 hours ago, Rich said:

Tom, I love your dedication.

This is the kind of project you should do. Don't you have about 4 Lupo's?