BMC does nothing for performance

tdwindustries

This is the last time Im going to say this.

Hopfully someone will listen.

Unless you do a before and after dyno run on the same rollers, on the same day theres no way of telling.

Ross did, and it showed it didn't give him any gains.

Surely that shows a air filter/decat isn't going to give you more power?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

o, somebody has tried it, i thout we were all makin geusses because nobody could be bothered to try it blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

o, somebody has tried it, i thout we were all makin geusses because nobody could be bothered to try it blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

and me blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

This is the last time Im going to say this.

Hopfully someone will listen.

Unless you do a before and after dyno run on the same rollers, on the same day theres no way of telling.

Ross did, and it showed it didn't give him any gains.

Surely that shows a air filter/decat isn't going to give you more power?

Had my lup on the rollers at superchips and it was around the 105-106bhp mark so same as the Noorthamption rolling road so i know mine is roughtly right smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Why would you get more air in by fitting an induction kit?

Your throttle body is still the same size.

Look at Dubya, on his second tuned GTI he owns ( ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> ) he has enlarged his throttle boy but has stll used his standard airbox.

VW wouldn't use that air box design if it was to restrict air flow.

The head and throttle body are the restrictive eliment, adding a filter isn't going to help this.

All an induction kit will do is give you more noise.

So long as your buying one with that in mind, its not a waste of £150 wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Look at Dubya, on his second tuned GTI he owns ( ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> ) he has enlarged his throttle boy but has stll used his standard airbox.

From the man himself.

Fitting an induction kit to a standard engine does nothing at all for performance. The throttle body and fueling setup will only ever suck in the same amount of air; whether it's sat in an airbox, or being sucked in through a cone filter. The airbox itself only ever becomes restrictive, if the engine is sucking more than it's designed spec, ie flowed head and high lift cams, because you'll no longer have the airflow. All an induction kit does to an otherwise standard engine, is make noise, and suck in warm air from the engine bay.

Likewise, your cat-back exhaust system does nothing for performance. It may alter the positoning of your peak torque, depending on it's bore/silencer setup, but on the whole, they're usually just direct replacements in stainless or aluminised steel - last longer and look better. A silencer less, only adds to the noise.

Outright power comes from the flow into the inlet manifold, through the head, and out through the exhaust manifold. The bore diameter of your exhaust manifold alters the cross flow through the inlet/exhaust, and ultimately increases or hinders performance. The more you can suck in, detonate, and push out, the more power you'll produce.

Like I said before, your 120 odd quid induction cone is doing nothing your airbox wasn't doing already.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Yes but you didnt do a before and after.

For all you know you car may having been putting out 110hp as standard!

yea your right on that mate, but i cant seemy K&N making an extra 6bhp, just alot of noise smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Have to see if i can get it booked in again and do a before and after.

• 4 weeks later...
Touque and Power are completly diffrent things.

If you think of it this way.

If you were wanted to move an object.

Power would be the effort involved in moving it.

And Touque would be the work completed.

It is of course possable to make lots of effort, but not move the object.

Its the same with an engine, you could make loads of power (effort), but not create much touque (work)

Still dont understand, how does my gti rape Golf GTTDI 150's then? If they have 250+ torque and mines got like 120?

Still dont understand, how does my gti rape Golf GTTDI 150's then? If they have 250+ torque and mines got like 120?

Could it be the loop that has the better Power to weight ratio.....

i dissagree with Dyba(yes i know its only me) but before and after dyos changinging a motorbike exhaust system can give you 20 odd bhp from aa bandit 1200 thats before and after andy.

normal 600cc sports you can get 5bhp fom a full exhuast system, explain tha one mate, you are getimg more peak power

A bike is a completly diffrent thing mate.

Cars engines are designed now, to be as small as possably and to be as clean as possable.

Due to this, the exhaust system designed for the car, is designed to give optimium power and tourque.

In the old days, yes, they knocked up some pipes to fit, but now manufactors spend as much time on the exhaust design, as they do on the rest of the components.

A bike can is designed to be quiet, and to give as much low down tourque as possable.

A set of race cans on a 14krpm bike will make a huge diffrence to top end power.

They'll bring the sound levels into illegal levels, but they will give big diffrences.

That is, after the carbs have been re-jetted of course wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

You dont have to e a genius to see the standard Lupo GTI exhaust is not only VERY heavy but very restrictive.

But how do you know that is not the best exhaust system for a standard GTI?

My 1.0 standard exhaust system, would not have been designed for high reving preformance.

But it would have been designed to give the most premormance for that engine.

I know without a doubt, both the side pipe (2.5" tubing) and the Jetex system (2" tubeing) helped the engine rev, but did little else.

If anything, the car was slower on a day to day run than a standard system'd car.

I would be very supprised if a quite highly tuned GTI would have a system that would be causeing it to be down on power.