BMC does nothing for performance

tdwindustries

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to do it is to get one of those things that fakes the lambda signal so that it's what the ECU expects - but they seem to be a bit variable as to how well they work.

Any ideas where id get one of these as seen as ive bought ross's de-cat?

Tigz we know your there you dont have to keep quoteing your own posts wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

This is an interesting subject as i was gonna get a decat pipe made up while having my full stainless done but after reading this im not gonna bother now

one question while all you technical people are on here though im fitting a stainless full system soon and want a loudish sporty sound so hjave been told i will 'need' to loose back pressure which will decrease my torque but where will i loose it from? bottom end, midrange, or top end? and will getting rid of the middle sillencer have the same effect as removing the cat?

thanks people

wayne

I had a de-cat. I have struggled to notice any performance gain but i wouldnt say that i have lost any power. Quite shocked to hear that a gti can lose 8 bhp, if it was a similar figure for the sport i would have thought the power loss would ber noticeable. Maybe a sports cat is the way forward, who knows ey.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can't spell my name! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I get the torque/power concept, its *how* a schrick works that I don't get.

(PS Tigz, don't feel the need to repost the same quotes again mate, I just don't get it)

(Edit to say Schrick manifold)

Edited by nickilupo

Ok.

If you think of it this way.

You have a big drain pipe exhaust, you lose touque yes?

But at high revs you will get more power?

It has a valve in the manifold which is restricting the air flow at low revs, but opens up at higher revs so you get the benifit of extra power.

Does that make sense?

• 2 weeks later...

i would argue that if you decat a standard system removing the precat,and keeping the rest standard then i could imagine a power decrease.a standard exhaust is one of the main restrictors in a car.

*my advice would be to keep ur decat (ie down pipe) run a 200 cell sports cat and a stainless performance system.for ur lamda i would speak to jim curley at star performance who has engineered a small device that doesnt remove ur lamda it adjusts it.

hope that helps

Edited by The Stig

The theory (I believe) is that by putting a spacer between the lambda and the exhaust, the second lambda sensor gets less exposure to the passing gases, therefore reporting a lower value back to the ECU - as it would do if there was a catalytic convertor reducing gas flow.

Whether it works or not is a different matter...

As the pressure inside the cat isn't changed though, and the volume of gases is also unaltered, will it really get less exposure? I can see that it might, but I can't say I'm very convinced.

Still, I've no experience with exhausts in that sense, so what do I know?

• 2 weeks later...

lol moped, no dont do that , get a cat back system and manifold, forget the cat, i think sports cat seems the way to go if ur that desperate for squeasing every possible bhp

ive heard of this lambda adjustment thing. I know that you can get a replacement lambda sensor for a yaris that fools the ecu into thinking the cat is still there, result being no engine light etc.

Personaly i would have thought that no cat is the way and a nice tight back box to retain some pressure.... surely something that was made to protect enviroment cant be good for performance aswel, thatd be a miracle surely. wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> My sport read 104.5 on rolling road with a decat and precat still in so it cant be all bad.

who knows ey.

Personaly i would have thought that no cat is the way and a nice tight back box to retain some pressure.... surely something that was made to protect enviroment cant be good for performance aswel, thatd be a miracle surely. wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" /> My sport read 104.5 on rolling road with a decat and precat still in so it cant be all bad.

who knows ey.

what have u done to urs to get 104.5 bhp? just decat it? if thats the case then u have answered the question. DECATING does HELP PERFORMANCE, and alot be the sounds of it, nearly 5bhp for removing the cat, tho im guessing a torque loss?

exactly

*faints*

yet again someone agrees with me biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

what have u done to urs to get 104.5 bhp? just decat it? if thats the case then u have answered the question. DECATING does HELP PERFORMANCE, and alot be the sounds of it, nearly 5bhp for removing the cat, tho im guessing a torque loss?

*faints*

yet again someone agrees with me biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I havnt done any thing to my engine apart from a K&N and i got 105.8bhp.

Think it also depends on how run in the engine is, my lup as done 70.000 miles now and have been reved pritty hard with regular service and good oil (Castrol RS) which i change every 5.000 miles wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by VWR Lupo