BMC does nothing for performance

tdwindustries

Well, this is something maybe someone can test this weekend at the RR day but....

I heard from Ross last week that taking the BMC off and removing the decat has been the best performance enhancement ever. Now, to be fair he did both together so it may be the decat and not the BMC decreasing the performance......

Something to chew on this morning.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be surprised if the BMC is hindering performance - all it does is supply more air.

Perhaps the placement of the BMC could effect it - feeding the engine with lots of warm air rather than a small amount of cold air isn't going to help much.

I'm guessing Ross probably positioned his BMC in a sensible place though.

well the de-cat OBVIOUSLY reduces power, as the standard exhaust system is tuned to have specific back pressure.

well the de-cat OBVIOUSLY reduces power, as the standard exhaust system is tuned to have specific back pressure.

Apologies in advance for a possibly stupid girly question...

How can something have an effect on torque without affecting power? Obviously, there is a relationship between the two but I've never fully understood how you can change one without changing the other.

(This all stems from me not knowing/understanding how a schrick manifold works by the way, so its not *that* much of a stupid girly question really...)

Edited by nickilupo

Touque and Power are completly diffrent things.

If you think of it this way.

If you were wanted to move an object.

Power would be the effort involved in moving it.

And Touque would be the work completed.

It is of course possable to make lots of effort, but not move the object.

Its the same with an engine, you could make loads of power (effort), but not create much touque (work)

Edited by Tigz

Sorry, didn't really explain myself clearly there. I was talking to John (Team Guru) about it & he was talking about the relationship between torque and power as far as making a car move.

So how does a schrick work?

Edited by nickilupo

Tim your thinking of the crank.

The Cam controls the inlet and exhaust valves.

I think a shrick maniofld uses valves to allow more flow at higher revs.

This allows free flow (and more power) at higher revs, but meens you wont lose low down touque.

As far as I understand it?

Admittedly John & I were a bit p*ssed at the time, but I seem to remember him saying something about a relationship between the two & the reason why diesel engines have so much more torque...

Anyways, how does a schrick work?

By the way: (Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

Edited by nickilupo