Need new tyres

cardaft

Well at last i have got round to getting some new front tyres, i went for Continental Premiumcontacts in the end.

They seem alright and look alot better than the old dunlops, ive only done a few miles since so im not really sure what they like yet, but they are quieter. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good choice, i've got ages till I need a new set of rubber so will be good to see what a fellow arosa owner thinks of them. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />
Trust me penry get some Toyo proxes, best tyres ive ever had and not the most expensive either, they grip in both wet and dry and the traction is loads better

wayne

bloody ell i thought you were never gonna get any laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

wayne

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> yeah it was starting to look that way wasnt it lol

Good choice, i've got ages till I need a new set of rubber so will be good to see what a fellow arosa owner thinks of them. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Well ive only done a few miles with them on but they do seem alot better than the dunlops, quieter and they seem to grip well. Ill have to give them a propper try tomorrow though swerve.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":swerve:" border="0" alt="swerve.gif" />

I think you've made a very good choice smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> I nearly went for Brigdestone RE720's but these were the same price and they were already in stock so i decided on these, which im happy with biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Trust me penry get some Toyo proxes, best tyres ive ever had and not the most expensive either, they grip in both wet and dry and the traction is loads better

wayne

Yeah i did look at the toyos and priced some up at the tyre place i use, im happy with the premiumcontacts though, they look quite smart aswel, which is one of the things i was wanting (didnt want a bulbus tyre wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ) shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

I have Toyo Proxes - think they saved my car from a nasty sideways collision with a kerb after a 180 slide earlier....

I definately apreciate having good tyres now anyway.

Sounds like your getting on with the contis - you'll have to give us a review in a few months once you've had a chance to test them smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Sounds like your getting on with the contis - you'll have to give us a review in a few months once you've had a chance to test them P1010194.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />
Edited by cardaft

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update to review the conti's:

Well they are much better than the standard dunlops, much quiteter and offer more grip especially in the corners, they also look quite good aswel and i woul recommend then to anyone looking for this size tyre.

However ive now changed the conti's to the back and put my Kumhos on the front. Bceuase i think you shuld have the newest tyres on the rear, is this right?, i now i hear dit somewhere.

Anyway, the kumho;s are a very good tyre, and its interesting to feel how much difference tyres make. The conti's are quite and make the steering lightish (but no overly light), but the kumhos are more noisy on the front that the rear (well i never sit in the back to know) but they give it heavier steering and a more sporty feel when cornering, i would really recommend the Kumho Ecsta 712, very good tyre and hugley grippy especially for one of the cheaper tyres on the market, they also look really good as i like tyres that arent bulgy and these arnt.

So i think ill keep the kumho's on the front for a while and keep my conti's on the rear smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

where as i am still running the same rubber sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> new ones on order friday coming biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Toyo CF1's in a 185/55/14 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> apparently there sh*t hot in the wet and dry under cornering and braking so should be good

CF1's what the hell are they? like proxes?

And Cardaft youve basically come to the conclusion that the humhos are the better tyre for the money/in general? if you like the kumhos youll love the proxes smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> but glad to here you like the contis in some way

And know what you mean about tyre differences as this week i went from my 15's with my toyo proxes on back to my 14's with the dunlop sports on and man i had to learn lift off oversteer again surprise.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":surprise:" border="0" alt="surprise.gif" /> go into corners like when i had the toyos on and it just keeps on going straight ahead so i keep having to bring the back end out to straighten it up laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> , the steering is loads lighter and setting off from junctions quickly especially in the wet becomes a bit of a joke really as spinning in top of second just aint funny. On my tried tyre top choices id say

1) Toyo proxes T1s - good all rounder and some ways better than yokos

2) Toyo Proxes T1R - tried on mates car and really good

3) Yokohoma A539's - more a summer tyre

4) Michelin sport/energy - good tyres but overpriced

5) Kumho sports - Grip well and very good prices

Bottom rated tyres in my honest oppinion are contis- overpriced just about Ok tyres , fuldas - understeer in wet majorly and generally a bit poor, dunlop SP's = crap only good thing being in the dry they squeel on heavy take off wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> , vriedesteins - wear out way too quick

wayne

And Cardaft youve basically come to the conclusion that the humhos are the better tyre for the money/in general? if you like the kumhos youll love the proxes smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> but glad to here you like the contis in some way

Bottom rated tyres in my honest oppinion are contis- overpriced just about Ok tyres

wayne

The Kumhos are a good tyre, the only thing about them is that they are twitchy and pull that car into most lines in the road, but not if you run them a bit softer like i have at about 27psi ojn the front

However when the Kumhos need replacing i will be getting the conti premium contacts for the front aswel, i think there a really good tyre and it really does handle nice with them on, and ill have a set aswel.

Yeah the conti's are quite expensive, i paid £130 for 2 which compared to if id have got the kumhos it would have been around £80 - £90. But the michelins are just as expensive

Just had a set of four avon ZV3's put on the original alloys (185/55 14's) they seem a lot better noise wise than the old firestones that were on it, and so far (approx 200miles) they've been good in all conditions. seem very similar to the conti's in tread pattern which is no bad thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well thats the end of the Kumho's. One has a large screw just at the egde of the tyre, i took it in to be repaired but they said it carnt be repaired because its too close to the edge, so ive had to get a new tyre. And since I always like to replace them in pairs ive got two firestone F700's on order which will be here tomorrow.

These are about £15 each cheaper than the conti's so ive gone for these and are what was originally fitted to arosas.

So ill put these on the front and the conti's on the rear to give them a try smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

i am using Fedral SS595's all round now and i think there great , £37 each cant really be sniffed at and the grip ( only had dry weather up here for the last week ) in the dry is great , the noise is MUCH lower and they have a cool tread pattern , oh and there made by Falcon

Didn't go for those random Toyos in the end then Craig?

I can't believe how fast Toyos wear ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> Looking at mine, I have newish Toyos up the front, and the original Falcons that came with the wheels on the back - I think the they will all need changing at the same time, even though the Toyos have probably had half as much use!

i was going to go with the toyos but my tyre fitter gerry warned me about how fast the toyos wore down tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I did mention toyos to my tyre fitter but he said there no all that good and do wear very fast.

So i ended up going with the Firestones for £50 each which is less compared to the contis i got a month ago for £65 each.

Only now ive got the pretendy tyre (space saver) on and its really noisey and i can only go slowly, carnt wait to get the firestones fitted tomorrow now biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

my local garage warned me a double plated clutch may bite too quickly, and removing the interior would make the car too loud. they also said modding the car would make my insurance higher and yes, toyos would wear quicker than most other makes.

rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Toyos are superb & fantastically grippy, but they definately wear out super quick. Only just checked my fronts this evening & they are looking very close to the end after only 6000 miles sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

looking very close to the end after only 6000 miles sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

bloomin' hell!! and i thought i was bad destroying a full set of dunlops in 20k

Well there on, first impressions are good, much much better than the kumhos, i think my kumhos had been ran very overinflated before i got the car because they seemed to go inwards in the middle of the tyre which is why i think they tranlined so badly.

But the firestones seem really good actually and are much quieter and softer than the kumhos, and there isnt alot of difference between the drive of the firestones and the conti premium contacts.

The only thing is when i tested them at 70 there is a slight wobble so i dont know if its just the tyres setteling (if theres such a thing) or if there slightly unbalanced, but the tyre fitter said bring them back in 2 weeks if they are wobbling as it might not have settled on the rim yet.

Another good thing is they have put the wheel balance weights on the inside of the rim so they carnt be seen, which looks much better.

Chris

bloomin' hell!! and i thought i was bad destroying a full set of dunlops in 20k

The problem is because they grip so well you'll always find yourself pushing them that bit harder coz you can get away with it!