Need new tyres

cardaft

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm, i still havent replaced my tyres yet but will have to soon, although i have decided not to go with the Dunlop Sport tyres as the grip in the wet is frightening, the front seems to run wide to easily.

I am now looking at:

Firestone Firehawk TZ 200 Fuel Saver

Goodyear HydraGrip

Continental PremiumContact

Bridgestone Potenza RE 720

Think the goodyear tyre is probably the best there, and it looks quite smart aswell.

Edited by cardaft

dont worry mate i am on the same boat , thinking of going for either the Goodyear Eagle F1's ( £54.10 a corner ) or Toyo CF1's but not to sure

edit , now actually tempted by the Bridgestone Potenza RE 720 there £46.50 a corner and get a good write up especially on grip in the wet and dry , but are fractionally louder in car but all that means is turn the CD player up and hay presto problem solved

Edited by one litre wonder ;)

The Bridgestone Potenza tyres do look very good, and not realy a bad price either, they look quite good also,

Where did u find a review of them, i carnt seem to find one.

I have thought about Toyo's but ive heard they wear quite quickly.

I've gone for a set of Pirelli P3000 this time round - they are DEFINATELY an improvement on the tyres I had before (cheapo budget ones), and for about only about £35 a corner I've been 'testing' them well (read 'throwing the car round corners') and they're really rather good smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Wear wise I can't comment as I've only done 1000 miles since I fitted them last week, but so far no complaints.

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon the conti's are OK, but I was using them mainly in summer.

might be worth checking out http://www.mytyres.co.uk/ their prices include VAT and delivery. I've found them to be much cheaper than most garages, even if you end up paying about £5-10 for a garage to fit them.

E.G. 185/55/14 Eagle F1's for £52.50 inc!!!!!! cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

They charge quite a lot for fitting, but you can buy them just as tyres and get them fitted yourself (like I did). They have some good offers on sometimes, but I used them as I had a discount smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 1 month later...

Right, i am definately going to have to get some more front tyres very soon, it needs its first MOT soon and it will struggle to pass with these tyres.

I am just wondering what tyres people have got on there cars with 14" rims (185/55/14) and if they would recommend them.

I ideally want a good all round tyre that grips will in the wet and the dry but looks good also, i dont like bulbus tyres that stick out alot beyond the rim, they look too chunky.

Any help appreciated pics would be good just cos i want a nice lookin tyre:)

I have a short list of:

Dunlop Sp Soprt 01

Dunlop 2000E (original - but not good at all)

Michelin Energy

Continental ???? maybe sport contacts

Bridgestone Potenzas

Goodyear Edale F1

Pirelli P6000

Firestone Firehawk TZ200

what is best though?

Edited by cardaft

I've said it elswhere, but...

I have 185 Conti sport Contacts on my 14" rims. Seem to be good enough tyres, but i think they sound quite hard. If you've got a higher spec Arosa you may be OK as the sound proofing will be better than mine.

S!

Thanks, i have been looking at them also.

Anymore tyre advice welcome smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> and needed wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by cardaft

Dunlop Sp Soprt 01 Okay but not brilliant and dont justify price you have to be aware of them

Dunlop 2000E (original - but not good at all) same as above really

Michelin Energy Alot better than both of the above cheapest fitted price i got was £56 for the original type

Continental ???? maybe sport contacts wouldnt bother to be honest i hate contis

Bridgestone Potenzas Heard good things but not experienced them myself so wont comment

Goodyear Edale F1 Wetmonky TDI has these so you could Pm him? they are a talked about tyre

Pirelli P6000 Hmmm never much like pirellis

Firestone Firehawk TZ200 Firestones were fitted to 2001 arosa's and i found them to be poorer than the dunlops ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

Yokos are quite chunky BUT are a good well priced tyre so its up to you whether to rule them out?

OLW was on about Uniroyal rainsports? dont know if they do them in our standard size but if your having two yo could change size to 185/50's which probably gives more choice

wayne

Thanks Subtle Modder smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> thats a big help.

It looks like its between the Michelin energys and the the Bridgestone Potenzas then.

My sister has the michelins on her saxo and they are quite grippy and seem to be very hard wearing i think they lasted till about 35,000 miles whereas mine has done about 20,000 with these tyres.

Thanks for the help everyone smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 4 weeks later...

P1010136.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

I carnt believe how small the spare is, will need to get it off asap and get my new tyres ordered.

P1010140.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Edited by cardaft

P1010140b.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="IPB Image" />

Just another three of these wheels and with a decent drop you've got yourself an original looking Arosa!

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You were considering Goodyear Hydragrips I see, before on my lupo I had Dunlops and Michelins, Dunlops were really bad in the wet, as other people have stayed, I did have one time going round a bend when I really thought I wasn't going to make it, and there wasn't any excessive speed involved (I was well below the limit for a start),

Michelins seemed ok, but tended to give way if you went around a round-about a little fast, they were good in the wet though.

I now have Good-year Hydragrip, and they are good in the dry with plenty of grip, but absolutely fabulous in the wet, we get a lot of rain where I live to, and just the other night, it was dark, and there was a huge puddle as I was driving through a storm (about 50mph, straight A-road country road) and I saw the puddle right at the last minute, and so couldnt swerve to avoid it, anyway, with the Hydragrip, there was a noticeable difference to the amount of left hand pull it exerted on the car compared to previous occasions with Michelins, I can't rate them highly enough.

My mum runs Continential Premium Contact as well, and before I drove the lupo, these seemed very very good tyres, although opinion disagrees it seems! Continental Premium Contact are always amoungst the best all-rounders in car mags tyres tests too.

Oh well the tyre repaired, it was right on the edge of the tyre so usually they dont repair but it has, so i will still be looking for new tyres shortly.

I hadnt actually looked at the conti's but i have now and they get a good write up and not a bad price either, thanks for the info smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />