Need new tyres

cardaft

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had Kumhos on the front of my Arosa when I had 15"s and they were ok (not brilliant by any means, just ok). I've got 16" on mine now with Toyo T1Rs on the front and Pirelli P7000s on the rear and they are very good. But that said I will have to agree with whats already been said. I too have my favorites and they are Michelins and Continetals. A lot of money but IMHO worth every penny. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

By the way what was wrong with your Kumho's?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There wasn't anything wrong with them in particular, they just seemed to make the car a bit too twitchy at speed. Everyone has their own preferances when it comes to tyre choice.

One person can come on this forum saying a particular tyre is rubbish, yet other person may have the very same tyre fitted to their car and they are more than happy with them. Like I said before I have been more than happy with Michelins and Contis in the past, so they are my prefered tyre choice. After much hype I bought the Toyo T1Rs and they are fab, just don't know how long they will last!!!! ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

contis are crap wouldnt recomend them to my neighbour , my dad has them on his scenic and there getting replaced with michelins soon, i had on a scooter and it was unbelievable crap banking it over at 40 you could feel it wanting to go so i replaced it with a cheap 'Cooper' tyre just to get the conti off and i know many people who hate them

Michelins are brilliant ive proved it with mine and my mums car both are arosa 1.4 s's except mine has dunlop sports and hers has michelin pilots and hers grips and takes off soooo much better than mine its unbelievable especially in the wet

Kuhmos are alright from what ive heard and my brother runs them on his corsa 16v and they do grip well and at £37 a tyre for 195/45/15 tyres thats well cheap and they look smart

I'll need to get some new tyres on the loopooo quite soon, thinking of getting some toyo T1S I think £38 each, good price.

But I need to get some for the golf first, It has contis on there at the moment, I wouldn't say they are crap. They are good in the wet, ok in the dry. The lack of dry grip is not made up by the good wet grip if you know what I mean. They do feel safe at high speeds though and quiet. And lasted 12000 miles (rotated) which is pretty good for me.

I'll be going for T1R's in 2 weeks. (£88 each huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> )

Edited by Petrified

Exactly what I was saying earlier!! One person will swear that a particular tyre manufacturer is crap when someone else will sing their praises. Best thing to do is go to mytyres.co.uk and look at all your preferred tyre choices and see how they are rated by them. I'm 37 now and in my time have owned some powerful cars in the past and still stand firm and say ContiSportContacts are a great tyre. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Yeah, ive decided to leave those on for a while till the weather gets worse. Ive put them on the back and ill just replace the rear tyres that are now on the front, as they are down to the wear marks.

Think ill stick with Kumho tyres as there will be a set of the same on the car then

Edited by cardaft

it depends on how you drive the car personally kuhmos are excellent for the money as they do actually grip unlike some tyres from the continent wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> but the michelins are good but its up to you whether there worth the extra

Have to agree with Slyclone there, I've had Yokos in the past too. Excellent tyres, but they are definately made of liqorice. rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

• 4 weeks later...

i am in the same situation mate , i am needin new tyres and all i can say is conti's are ***** , dunlops are brown trouser time in the wet up here , michillins cost £105 A TYRE up here and cause it rains like a ****** up here i am going for the UniRoyal Rainsports , very good in the wet just as good in the dry

Heres a decider for you IMO

Two weeks a go i replaced my alloys fitted with dunlop sport tyres for my mums alloys which are fitted with michelin energy tyres and can say the michelins are definately better tyres without doubt they grip alot better on acceleration whereas the dunlops will spin for ages and they dont give way as easy (hard to describe) when braking

They are lighter so better acceleration wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> chuck ability in the wet hasnt improved much if any to be honest but that means i have to drive more sensibly or turn the music up so i cant hear the screeming passenger smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

wayne

where as the UniRoyals that i am getting are great in the wet and just as good in the dry , being up in scotland it rains alot so i want a wet weather tyre thats good in the dry rather than the other way arround , but the dunlops in this weather ( damp , muddy roads ) all they do is wheel spin and or slip/slide under braking cause a wheel to lock

Edited by one litre wonder ;)

exactly what i mean about the dunlop sports mate they arent a tyre id heavily recomend but to be totally honest after trying a few brands they are by no means one of the worst high name brands but ive never heard uniroyals been recomended personally, goodyear rainsports (SP)? and Bridgestone potenzas yes but not uniroyals

went to ATS the other day and they said they had some company called Creiger or summit like that ( made by michellin with a different name ) and he said they were really good

Im looking at putting michelin energy tyres on, Anyone got these?

I got Micho engery's all round on my Seat £43 each fitted. They don't look anything special but compared to what i had they're quiet and i have no probs with grip!

Si.

Dunlop SP Sport 2000s are the work of the devil.

I'd recommend Eagle F1 GSD3s or Toyo T1Rs at the high end of the price bracket if you want superb wet and dry weather grip. Neither works in the snow though - I tried to do a u-turn in my GTI in about an inch of snow running Eagle F1s, and it wouldn't climb the camber of the road laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />