SDI - TDI conversion

tuffers

Any thoughts and ideas on how the sdi could be turbo'd? Ive been looking at the high flow intakes from allards but not gonna buy anything until ive researched it all properly.

Whats the difference on the intake part of the engine between a SDI and a TDI? Ive looked at my sdi and it has a throttle plate and i presume a sensor just before the intake. What does the tdi have?

Ive found a flange match with AHU and ALH tdi engines so im thinking i could go with a sump, intake and downpipe off these.

allards

Ive already got a new VNT15 turbo with exhaust manifold in one, and the flange matches perfectly. As far as controlling the vanes, ive discussed this with lots of people and i think theres a solution other than installing a new ecu and loom. It should be a good choice for low rpm spooling.

I had looked into this when I had my SDi. I then found out that it was going to be costly. It was cheaper to swap it for a TDi.

But as you already have the turbo and manifold, why not go for it!

The SDi has what looks like a throttle unit, its not. Its for air flow smoothing. The engine's speed is varied by fuelling pressure as far as I could see it.

As for controlling a VNT turbo, you would need a good aftermarket ecu or possibly adapt a VAG one.

I then found out that it was going to be costly. It was cheaper to swap it for a TDi.

I understand, but would a 1.9 tdi fit into a lupo? cause i dont want a 3cylinder tdi.

Heres a link to the gtd forum where some guy tried to control the vnt15. Although he was kinda unsuccesful the thread has a few ideas. I like the boost elbow idea, that would be the cheapest.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1306

Ive also been looking at the greddy profec boost controller and i think it could control the amount of vacuum to the actuator.

Ive been told if i fit a high flow intake i may not need the anti shudder valve (the bit i mistakenly called a throttle plate).

1.9 tdi fits but do you really want that much weight on the front?? i'd go for a 1.4 TDi if i were you tbh smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think my minds made up on converting the 1.7 sdi 4 cylinder to a tdi. Also im pretty there on a list of parts required.

Gonna give the greddy profec boost controller a go.

Got the VNT15 turbo.

High flow intake. 9possibly allards)

Tdi sump or fit connector to existing sump for oil return line. (possibly allards)

turbo oil hoses.

FMIC and hoses. (anyone recommend a fmic size?)

Tdi downpipe and custom exhaust. (would be nice to have a centre exit)

induction kit.

Any ideas welcome.

Theres a guy in germany who has (or at least had) a Turbo'd SDi, might want to send him an e-mail.

Heres the SDI i'm on about http://arosagti.de/pageID_2118662.html

hope this helps mate smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chip a TDi and if you do it right with a coupl eo fother engine mods you can get 115bhp and over 200lbs/ft of torque for less work than you are going to do on the SDi lump.

Plus you get all the other TDi benefits on top.

Seems like a lot of work for 95hp doesn't it?

Or am I missing the point?

The engine will still be excessivly heavy.

The turbo is the lump added. The fmic and pipework maybe wiegh just over the replaced airbox and piping. So i reckon about 10kg at the most added. Could this not be compensated elsewhere?

Chip a TDi and if you do it right with a coupl eo fother engine mods you can get 115bhp and over 200lbs/ft of torque for less work than you are going to do on the SDi lump.

Doesn't look like this guy has chip his sdi turbo so he may be capable of much more than 95hp.

Wouldn't you agree the a 1.7 4cylinder would have more potential than a 1.4 3cylinder?

Wouldn't you agree the a 1.7 4cylinder would have more potential than a 1.4 3cylinder?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't no.

Power to wieght, I do not belive its worth the effort.

A larger turbo and remap to a 1.4 would give a better power to wieght than that old 1.7 unit.

Have you seen how much it wieghs!

My 50bhp 1.0 is so much faster, I thought the SDI was a wrong en

1.4 Block is aluminium as well IIRC

People have looked into fitting the 1.9 TDi Turbo and intercooler to the 1.4 TDi and this looked quite promising but very expensive.

Why bother with the diesel when for the money you could go and get yourself a nice GTi or subtly mod a TDi.

My 50bhp 1.0 is so much faster, I thought the SDI was a wrong en

My gf has a 1.0 polo 2002. I know the weight is different to a lupo but i imagine its the same driving on the motorway screaming at 5000 rpm, doing 75mph. And it certainly doesn't pull away quicker than my sdi.

For starters the 1.4 TDI is a PD engine...

If you do manage to get the turbo onto your SDI, it probably wont be any quicker than the 1.4 tdi, as your not gona be able to match the performance of Presurised fueling.

PD technology isnt just more fuel though... some VW tech guy was explaining it all to me, but its a hell of a lot more technical than just throwing a crap load of fuel in each cylinder.

and even if he feeds more fuel to the 1.7 (which he'll have to do to run a turbo anyway) its too easy to end up with nothing more than a lump of black smoke!!

been their myself when tuning the 306, took us nearly 6 months to get the fueling right so it wasnt "too" bad for smoke... and in the end i sold it anyway cos the fuel costs were skinting me lol.

£10 = 30 miles

Found some lupo weights. Weird that the tdi and sdi weigh the same.

1.2 tdi 854kg

1.4 tdi 1059kg

1.7 sdi 1059kg

gti 978kg

1.4 985kg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that cant be right!!!!! i have my lupo petrol sport V5 infront of me and it clearly state 960kg and i think ur find there is no 1.2 lupo so thats polo weights im guessing (tho they seem light for a polo) confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

My gf has a 1.0 polo 2002. I know the weight is different to a lupo but i imagine its the same driving on the motorway screaming at 5000 rpm, doing 75mph. And it certainly doesn't pull away quicker than my sdi.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mate take a look here.