Lupo GTI ITB conversion.

LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

Not sure how many of you know but I made a 430 mile round trip to Designadubs last Friday.

Firstly what a great company. They gave me about 3 hours of their time, using internet and making phone calls to find out information for me. All the guys there were super helpful, keen and friendly. They have given me lots of information and made me even more determined to get things moving.

Unfortunatelly they will not being doing the work for me as they are too far away for me to leave the car for 2 weeks and also too far away if I have any problems after the work is completed.

Basically I could have.....

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> 600 bhp 1.8t 20v like a Mk1 they are currently doing though I did not dare ask the price.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> 225bhp 1.8t 20v for £6000 + vat.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> 190-200bhp (estimated) supercharger conversion on my engine for about £3000 I guess.

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> 170-180bhp (estimated depending on headwork and cams and how well my engine reacts to this method) throttle body conversion for about £2500-£3000.

No real experience on the latter 2 ideas as not been done by them before (in fact they have not had chance yet to modify and Lupo Gti as they are still a bit new to be hacked about with) so power and costs are approximate. There is no simple solution though and everything will leave me being a guinee pig.

Although throttle bodies will give least power/£££££ I am having them. They are so simple in terms of no intercooler, no boost hoses all over and no risk of blowing my motor with boost pressure the engine was not designed for (remember I do 2000 miles a month and have a bit of a fettish for minimalism so nice sparse engine bay is what I want).

Edited by Tigz

If you wonder why I went all the way there it is because I wanted them to do the work but didnt realise it would take so long with it being a step into the unknown, I thought it would be drive in - pay - drive out.

Ironically once they knew where I was from and where I worked they recomended a bloke who works near where I work and said he is very very good. I know he is.....he built my race engine for my mini a few years ago laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . Going to see him later this week.

Think I want individual tapered bodies with minimal inlet manifold, Dr shrick cams,major head work and going to look into having the supersprint manifold for the Polo Gti (as long as it clears the oil filter and oil cooler plate).

I will be dissapointed if I dont make 180bhp but in reality I think I am buying them for the noise as much as anything and the fact they will let the car rev more freely. I love the feeling of boost but my preference for a car, is lots of noise, lots of revs and natural aspiration...hence my ultimate cars are a F360 or an M3 CSL (new version).

sounds cool (but expensive blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> ) darren - but i guess like me you have no personal experience in building motors. where abouts are designadubs mate?

throttle bodies will sound awesome - still suprised you're not thinking of going supercharged after hearing and seeing hakeem's motor!

Designadubs are in Basingstoke and are actually real easy to find (directions on their website).

I am mighty impressed by Hakkem's car and full credit to him for his engineering excellence. Also yes it sounds ace but it is too messy for my tidy fetish. I want 4 bodies, a fuel rail and a carbon airbox to feed them. Throttle bodies at 8000rpm will be a bigger oral orgasm than a charger whoosh for me.

I have actually already spoken to the engine builder near me twice already regarding the throttle bodeis. Left it with him for three months so he may have something for me by now. Sent loads of my mates to him as well for Webbers on carb cars and he always did well with them (always remember my mates MK2 Golf 16v at 8500rpm running Webber Alpha Gold management and 45's).

does sound as if it will be cool mate - where did this guy get his experience with all this engine building malarky?? how did you find out about him in the first place darren?

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

mmmm good work Darren

I think TBs will look and sound excellent.... my only issue is 3k is a HELL of a lot of money for such a mild increase in power

However its your hard earned and this will be a very individual and no doubt spotless conversion!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EBAY(BIKE THROTTLE BODIES,INJECTOR RAIL,INJECTORS, LOOM,THROTTLE LINKAGE)£65/£100

ALTISS ENGINEERING (07890 591618) THEY WILL MATCH BIKE THROTTLE BODIES TO CAR INLET MANIFOLD(YOU SUPPLY GASKET)ALL ROUND COST £300/£350 PLUS ECU huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

LoopyLupo

The guy in Lincoln is an experienced race engine builder of A series mini engines. He machines cranks, cams and heads at his place as well as being able to map certain brands of ECU and build engines. He did my mini and it was the first ever with the set up I had (serial number 0002 ECU the first being a development one). 172 ECU maps later and the car ran lovely ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

He also does other brands of car but mainly mini's.

Lupocharged

I like the idea of such a cheap set of parts but not sure car will run too well with bike bodies. They are designed to work with "ram air" principle of the bike moving forwards, mine will be working on the vacuum from the engine with lower air velocity rates. Also bike bodies work at high revs (higher air velocity) mine will be about half the rpm of a bike. Also do bike bodies not have a larger closed angle than car ones to give a much sharper throttle response with small throttle openings, can make the car very hard to drive smoothly at low revs. Please contradict me if I am wrong as I am currently on a steep learing curve to try to do the best I can.

Twisty

I noticed that with the Schrik cams but is that not because the variable valve timing makes up for the duration shortness. Also the guy in Lincoln may be able to reprofile them or even a set of other std cams from a VW engine.

Not sure mate, I'm the person to ask laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I just wondered if a late 260 or a an early 270 might be better? I e-mailed Schrick but they didn't answer

Suppose try a 256, if it's not good enough get your credit card out again laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

You must've driven past my house

Edited by twisty b-road
  • Like 1

Think it will be get a cam that will fit but is the wrong profile (with too much material on). Then get it machined down to a suitable profile.

I went A1 - M25 - M3.

Blimey, could have picket you both up on the way for a mini meet day out!!!

Car goes in next week for a pre-look over to determine what parts it is having. MBE (the guy who did my mini) is going to have it as I trust him to do a good job. Also as it is not far from me I can help out and clean bits before they go on.

Ignoreing the DD issues... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Mate, glad its finally going a head, looks like you should be done before me now!

Few questions for you.

Are you still going for direct to head bodies?

What are you doing about the diffrence in port spaceing and shape?

Any update on ECU?

Cant wait to have a passenger drive!

LoopyLupo

The guy in Lincoln is an experienced race engine builder of A series mini engines. He machines cranks, cams and heads at his place as well as being able to map certain brands of ECU and build engines. He did my mini and it was the first ever with the set up I had (serial number 0002 ECU the first being a development one). 172 ECU maps later and the car ran lovely  ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />  ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />  ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

He also does other brands of car but mainly mini's.

Lupocharged

I like the idea of such a cheap set of parts but not sure car will run too well with bike bodies. They are designed to work with "ram air" principle of the bike moving forwards, mine will be working on the vacuum from the engine with lower air velocity rates. Also bike bodies work at high revs (higher air velocity) mine will be about half the rpm of a bike. Also do bike bodies not have a larger closed angle than car ones to give a much sharper throttle response with small throttle openings, can make the car very hard to drive smoothly at low revs. Please contradict me if I am wrong as I am currently on a steep learing curve to try to do the best I can.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HI GIVE ALTISS ENGINEERING A RING 07890 591618 ASK TO SPEAK TO NIGEL COLWELL AND HE WILL TAKE YOU THROUGH STEP BY STEP. HE WILL ALSO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS YOU'VE ASKED ME biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

bagsy second! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />  laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH AND IF YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON A COPY OF PRACTICAL PERFORMANCE CAR SEPTEMBER EDITION AND THEIR IS A FULL EIGHT PAGE DETAILED BIKE THROTTLE BODIES GOOD LUCK rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />