40K service - not as bad as I was expecting

£160

Not from VW though. Nothing major needed done just the basics

I was told the belt was due at 60K

So I am happy.

It was a hard decision not to go to a VW garage - but then I am sure it would have been double the price with a few 'extra' supprises thrown in......Does anyone think not getting a full VW service history is not a bad thing to do?

I do my wifes Arosa 1.0 myself costs me thirty odd pounds every 6 months. Get the bits from www.vwspares.co.uk they are good and cheap. Fill her up with Castrol Longlife 0W-30 for latest VW engines.

Recently replaced the spark plugs. They only cost me £28 from vwapares. Have got the full PC based workshop manual coming for only £15 from eBay (ive used the German manuals up to now from amazon.de).

Even got a Draper diagnostic reset tool (that plugs in under the removable centre console ash tray)

My mission is never to visit a VW (my other car is a Touran) or Seat dealer with the help of forums like this. I know the basic Seat service is £199 just for the pleasure of having the tea boy round all your bolts off without the use of a torque wrench. And never heard anyone in my area be complimentary about them, dealers that is.

I reckon I can keep these cars going for a very long time unless there is a serious reliability problem or catastrophic failure. Im not a trained mechanic I do this at home and maintain triumph motorcycles in the same way with care and attention.

It is my humble opinion that you are better off byying a good set of tool and doing an evening course in car maintainance. This stance came from my Rover owning days when the trade in values of 7 year old 400's with and without a dealer stamp were only a few hundered pounds different.

Feel free to disagree with my stance if you wish but to me its all a matter of confidence and value for money. Taking a day of work just to get a car serviced really seem like a waste of time to me when you can do it all on a Sat morning. I do enjoy the mechanical tinkering though !!

Big vinny i agree with you mate why pay a dealer to do the work but i will add in all price guides which im reading alot of at the moment when looking at cars it saids for every one "be wary of cars with out dealer service history" and for the sport and gti models etc it saids "full sevice history is vital" which does put buyers off when cars havent got this and i admit myself when i see a car without at least three dealer services i knock em down quite a bit and if no then i walk away

As some DIY people are like yoursel its ok but theres also people who have never worked on cars and think 'pound land' oil put in and oil oil drained out with NO new filter and wire brushing the spark plugs etc is a 'service' which IMO it is not

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder