speedo - accuracy

moreno510

its normaly about 3 miles out with the cos the way it calabrated, but i wouldnt chance sayin that to a cop :sarc:

wheels is the biggest thing to have an affect on it, if your car come with 17ins and u put 15ins on... for example the wheel roates quicker cos of the circumfrance of the wheel

bigger or smaller wheels then factory tires, will effect your speedo reading, there is a device that plugs into your computer in the car that can fix that problem, not sure then name of it or the price but its out there. It can also increase your HP by anywhere from `1-25` Horses, depending on the size of your engine.

Had the same kinda reading of `8-9mph` less in a turbo'd scooby Impreza, no wheel mods, nothing. I hear this is usual in cars, as it will keep your speed down (yeah right!) I dunno if this would be allowed though?

thats why speed cameras allow for something like 4% and 4mph over the actual limit or something like that.

i think top gear did a test on some cars using fancy timing equipment and stuff and found out that no speed ois anywhere near acurate.

when u were using u'r gps did it have 6 satalites if not then it is not 100% accurate but with 6 satalites it knows almost to the cm where you are.

FYI Unless it is a time of war (when the encryption was removed last time) there is a deliberate scrambling of the GPS signals to make `non-military` GPS systems accurate to + or - 4m.

I believe the European law for the manufacturers is + 4% to – 10% on the accuracy of car speedometers though someone can look up the law on the web if they are interested. They are obviously going to err on the side of under reading, think when they tested a few Porsche was the best with a 3% under reading but most are `7-8`% under. By law the police give you at least 5% over the limit to allow for the speedo. Even the standard Gatso is out by `2-3mph` from the inside to the outside lane if it is a dual carriageway, your less likely to be done in the outside lane.

Welcome back to work everyone, happy new year and all that :thumbs: