how can things go so wrong?

big_chris1981

ok, so i was giving the lupo a wash before taking down to the dealers to collect the parts, that they'd managed to lose between my test drive, and the collection of the car.

im sponging it down, and as i lean on the front wing to wash the bumper, it buckles and gives way....and where id washed the bumper, "paint" was coming off on the sponge.

on close inspection, the headlight was being held im place with a bit of tape, and loads of colour wax had been forced into a deep gouge, and a scrape which runs up the edge of the bumper.

words cannot describe the anger at being sold through deception a damged car...and by a main dealer as well.

so i take it back in, and without any argument they say they will repair it (do we think they know about the damage kids?)

im kinda happy with this until i recieve a call from vw customer service, just to ask if i was happy with my new car.

i told the lady what was happening and she pointed out that any bodywork the dealer does will not be covered by the 12 year paint/bodywork warranty...and that maybe i should take the car back under the 30 day return policy.

so, im incredibly angry, confused and upset at being treated thios way by a main dealer, and now waiting for more information from vw customer services.

the deal is that i get a replacement gti.

the problem is, that there arent any..anywhere..in pearl anthracite, with aircon.

so, god knows whats happening....other than me being angry....and frankly very dissapointed - are all main dealers this *****?

chris

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid so Chris... they're all crap. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

In theory, the dealership should be able to get the body work repaired by an Approved bodyshop & therefore the car would still be covered by the VW paint/bodywork warranty...

I would go into the dealership, suited and booted & ask to speak to the manager. Without getting angry, but in a stern & assertive manner, point out to them the way you have been treated & the state of the car... Keep pointing out the rarity of the car & how a replacement under the 30 day guarantee is not possible. Tell them that you would be willing to keep the car provided they repair the paint/bodywork at an approved body shop in order to maintain the warranty. Afterall, you thought you were buying a car that was still under the 12 year paint/bodywork warranty.

John had a similar issue with the Bora when that f***ing idiot crashed into it whilst it was on his driveway - he had to get the insurance company/VW to get the repairs done through an approved bodyshop to keep the warranty.

unfortunately nic they wont do that...and i keep finding more and more things wrong....the drivers side door card fell off this afternoon while i was driving down the m3...and there was a mars bar wrapper behind it.

now either the belgian that was building it fancied a tasty snack or some other ****** has had the cards off for somereason.

for an 8k mile old car theres too much wrong.....ive told them that they shall be finding me another one...even if its a new one, and that they will be paying any difference in price out of their own pockets....or we will be talking to the local magistrates about sale through deception.....

do what /\he/\ said

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Know a lot of guys named Nicki, do ya? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I'd be looking to get my money back - it's not worth the trouble, and god knows what else they've done a bodge repair on. The right car will come along sooner or later - don't get stuck with a lemon.

ive told them that they shall be finding me another one...even if its a new one, and that they will be paying any difference in price out of their own pockets....or we will be talking to the local magistrates about sale through deception.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly you don't have any legal recourse to get anything more than your money back sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

You won't get them to give you a car that's worth more than what you paid for yours. Believe me, I've been there with Seat.

crap, all sounds bad Chris, funny thing is, I hadn't noticed there was another person on the forum with a Grey Anthracite GTi (other than Kev_Ush that is) until reading this thread.

Well, I suppose you have two choices, you could get them to have it repaired, but I'd want to know what happened in the first bump, why the work was so shoddy, details, details, details. It was a demo car wasn't it? So they MUST know. And yes, your right, for this to be happening on a car with just 8k up is shocking.

If they can prove to you the repairs will be upto standard, and that it will be done by an approved bodyshop, then aslong as its all sorted, I can't see there being a problem with you keeping the car for many happy years. However, it sounds like this car has had a hard early life, I'd be wary.

I think the wise thing to do, would be to get a straight refund, post the reg and dealer you bought it from, and warn everyone on here about the car. Do you want another Grey Anthracite car? They are very rare, rarer than Raven Blue, which is also rare, so you may have a long wait. Would you settle for another colour?

Keep us informed.

Edited by AndyW

Sorry to hear this mate its well documented the crap Ive had to deal with from VW and still ongoing as we speak, As much as you want the car I would give it back if I were you its not worth the hassle imo. theres some mint ones out there i.e. Marqs loop is a mint example not grey but a lovely example of whats out there. good luck

All these stories about bodge Lupo's are making me worried about possibly spending £7k on a 4 year old gti....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Get it checked out mate as you know its always abit of a gamble when buying second hand but dont let it put you off these are only a few examples there's plenty of well looked after loops out there. take ours on here for example smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i think the moral is that "main dealers arent to be trusted"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't trust any stealers mate! A friend of mine recently brought a 106 GTI from a private stealer who tells him how its mint etc etc only to have it 4 weeks and the things a wreck!

Edited by Ty

Yeah Chris, see what C/S do, you never know, but yeah, I'd reject it. If your not so fussy on colour, I'm fairly sure you could find a Raven Blue in the spec you want eventually, or if your even less fussy you could go for silver or black.

I think its also worth addressing Grapo's comment, which TY has already partly done, I wouldn't be particularly worried about spending 7k on a Lupo. You'll always get duff ones in the pack (Chris's isn't duff, just badly repaired), but aslong as you do your homework, get an inspection done and/or find a dealer you can trust, then I don't see why you'd be worried about spending such an amount on a GTi. Thats like saying you'd be worried about buying an Alfa because they are all 'unreliable'.

Not all dealers are bad, just in the same way not all Lupo GTi's are unreliable wrecks. Some are of course, but not all.

A friend of mine recently brought a 106 GTI from a private stealer who tells him how its mint etc etc only to have it 4 weeks and the things a wreck!

'Blames' got to lay with your mate though, if he didn't get things checked out, a private seller can always turn around and say 'I didn't say that'. Again, buying private isn't a bad thing, aslong as you cover yourself. If you don't, well then its your own fault really.

I've nothing to add apart from echoing everyone else's comments, and from my own dealing with VW and their customer "service".

Get it taken back and get a full refund. It's not worth them bodging it more. It may take a bit of effort but the right one is out there. What about foofi's Raven Blue in the sale section?

what an ass mate - it reflects what dealers get up to though - the gti i rejected is still up for sale in shrewsbury inchcape (saz) looked at it - ***** respray job - but only if you know what you're looking for. reject it and wait until the ****ers find a car that matches the spec is my advice - i would hope that the cbi and d of fr would back you up on this. good luck bud.

(ps. it took me ages to typr his reply after loadsof spelling mistakes cozz i'm slaughtered!) wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> hope iyt makes sense!

What is it with dodgy lupo gti's lately and the dealers being lying areseholes

My mum brought a brand new arosa 1.4s last september and when my mum and dad went to pick it up the arch was dented so refused to accept it and asked for another they said they would repair it and call us i called up the next day being in bodywork i know there can be crap repair jobs and i asked to speak to the manager and said "basically you can repair it if you want but we will not be having it i want a new car were paying full price" he said "well ill see what we can do"

two days later i get a call while at home asking to speak to my mum saying the cars ready i said what do you mean "well its been repaired" so i went down for a look and had the manager show me the car i could see where it had been repaired and i hadnt seen it with the dent and the paint job wasnt brilliant so i said "nope were definately not having this i can do a better job myself" so he said in a smug voice talking down to me as im only 18 " well see what your mum thinks when she comes to pick it up"

We didnt have it we refused it even though they had already registered it in our name and they found us the last silver 1.4 in the country within three weeks it was on the drive NEVER BACK DOWN

And it went in for brakes the other month my mum went to pick it up " well we cant find the keys at the moment" and it took then three days in total but we kept the ibiza curtesy car.

Get the money back and buy one private for cheaper money and get it fully checked out by a proffesional both mechanically and most of all bodywork which is one of the most hidden history of cars being sold

sadly as the stock levels of lupo gtis run down only the dregs will be left. New plate change just happened or about to happen (september or august, can't remember anymore) so there should be some new trade-ins avertised soon. I'd get my money back and look elsewhere

Edited by Crusoe