engine problem (update)

cardaft

I have a Seat Arosa 1.0s Mk2 which has done 25,000 miles.

There is a problem with it when the engine is warm, it seems to go onto three cylenders (or runs rough) and it only does an average of 32mpg. The engine rocks in the engine bay and there is a thumping from the exhaust. I think it could be faulty valve lifters!!

Has anyone experienced this?

Does anyone know what the problem maybe?

Edited by cardaft

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah could be a faulty plug thats what happend to john , one of the spark plugs broke and it sounded as if somebody had dropped a bag of nails in the engine . just be warned that a full set of plugs is about £50 if i remember right as they are platinum plugs

It is at a Seat main dealer at the moment, so far they have skimmed the head twice!! and lapped the valves in three times and renewed the piston rings - with no results

Yer its a 2003 so it still has warenty, it has had a cylender leakage test done and it appears to leak from cylender4. The car is fine when its cold but when it warns up the problems starts. The compression is also down on number4 also. The Seat main dealer has had the car for over 8 weeks now and it does not look like they can find the problem as each time they say its ready it is exactly the same!!

I have asked for a new engine but they said that it would cost £3000 and they wont do it. They have given me a 05 reg Seat Ibiza SX 1.2 to use, but this is the 5 time my Arosa has been in for repair and to two seat garages, each for a couple of weeks at a time. But it has now been in for this time 8 weeks!!

Push for a replacment engine mate.

your warrenty will be up in the next few month, then you'll be paying £50 an hour for the next 8 weeks work!

Have you spoke to Seat Uk, I dont meeen the dealership, the dealership will look silly if there unable to repair it, Id seriously be pushing for a new engine.

You are well in your rights mate.

Yes i have spoke to Seat Uk, it was them that said they wont be fitting a new engine. I have said to Seat UK and that i dont have any confidence in the garage or the car since it has been taken apart many times.

The garage does not seem to know what they are doing, a two year old car with 25,000 miles should not need piston rings should it!!

Every time i check on the car they say it will be another week or couple of days but i still havent got it back.

They have rang me a few times to say it was ready to collect, but when i went to test it it was no better, i have suggested to them to ring Seat technical help but Seat Uk said they havent!!.

I was thinking about selling the car or trading it in but there is nothing i can find which i like more than the seat, they dont seem to have the class or quality.

What could i expect an average MPG for a 1.0 to be?, as mine only does 32mpg.

well I get 180 - 190 out of a tank (miles that is)

Mine is quite low for most, but I think that is down to the terrain of sheffield, in that I have to go up lots of hills.

Right, time to start getting firm with them. I echo Tigz, push for a replacement. Explain that this situation is completely unacceptable, and that you have grounds to force them into action, and from what you've posted, you do. Don't bother with the dealer now, go back to Seat UK and speak to the highest person you can. If they aren't inclined to allow you to do that, then casually say you will contact Autoexpress, and say in the past that magazine has helped consumers with problem cars. Say this exactly.

Don't accept no, really, they shouldn't get away with this, make this clear to them, in no uncertain terms. And don't let up, persist like mad.

Just to check, does anyone have a 1.0 arosa or lupo that they could test for me.

The car needs to be at running temperature - lift the bonnet and see if the engine is steady, if it is switch it off for a minute and start it again look to see if the engine is steady and there is no bumping comming from the exhaust.

mines never does anything like that and i constantly switch it on and off even if i only jump out to get summit from the boot.(mainly cause i need the key to open the boot sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> ) and i get like 2225-250 miles froma tank of fuel or there abouts. so summit is definately up! agree with wat these guys are saying u should be getting new engine!

but mpg also depends on terrain, and how heavy your left foot is smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I the engine is rocking I would have thought one of the mounts have gone. As for the engine itself I would certainly start kicking some ass cos the longer you let them mess you about, the closer your warranty is to running out and then you will have to pay for everything. Including a new engine.

Just sounds like they're stalling for time and they're getting the upper hand.

The car does not run out of warenty until next April. The car is supposed to be ready today so i will ring them and if it isnt ready of the problem has not been fixed then i will be pushing for a new engine

Seat Uk have rang me to say that the car will not be finished for tomorrow now because the mechanics have snapped some bolts in the engine, and they havent yet put the piston rings back in and it is not the piston rings which is the problem!!!. Also the first mechanic who took it apart has now left. The service is crap!!! this will be the 9th week it has been in but only for this time!!!, i just think i will sell the car now, they have spoilt the car for me now and they are adiment that they wont fit a new engine they say they will "just keep repairing it until it is fixed"

The car will not be ready tomorrow as the mechanic has broken some bolts in the engine and hey need drilling out. Seat uk said they would not put a new engine in but just keep repairing it.

Mate seriously do not let them screw you over my uncle had major ecu and wiring loom problems with his citroen saxo 1.4 and it went back loads of times and in the end my uncle just kept threatening citroen direct and they replcaced the car with a new one he went from an da01 reg to a da 52 reg by declaring the car unfit as it was in the dealers more than on the road and was costing citroen a fortune.

so he kinda got a really good deal and although he also had some slight problems with this car it is now fixed and was worth the trouble, remeber if you have the car back and sell it on with the problem you will loose money not them

Glad to hear your problems have been sorted, I hope its not damaged your love for the car.

Seems to happen all too often these days sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />