Lupo Body Modification

Karnipex

Hi all,

I currently do not own a Lupo but I am seriously looking to get one, however the Lupos rear bumper (atleast to be) looks out of place. As seen in the image below I have attempted to remove the 'lip' of said bumper, thanks to Microsoft Paint. I was just wondering how easy it would be to move said bumper from the Lupo and do such a body modification to the car, and if its even worth doing. I understand that such a modification is relatively petty, because this is the only thing that deters me from currently purchasing the car. 

Many Thanks.

VW Lupo Body Kit Comparison.png

The back bumper only starts to look stupid when the car is stupidly low, especially viewed from the rear. Same deal with the rear arch on non GTI as the rear wheel moves forward in the wheel arch when the trailing arm is beyond horizontal and the gaps look horrible when it is very low.

This one looks all right though as it hasnt reached that point. (apart from the slightly bent sill seam, another thing to watch for as they are weak and improper jacking will ruin them.)

volkswagen-lupo_silver_2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Rarely ever is a used car sold without a reason. The best you can do is look it over, drive it around and get a mechanic that you trust to have a look at it. The reason it is on the market will often be evident, sometimes the seller will level with you and save you the bother of finding out yourself. Most times (I have only bought 1 new car in my 40+ years of driving and it took 3 years to sort the bugs out of it!!) it is something you won't know about or suspect until it rears it's ugly head down the road later. I have learned that is just part and parcel of car ownership. 

Some makes and models are known to be bad buys but other than that I just buy one that suits me, looks fairly clean and sort it out as I find things.

Oops! This was supposed to go on your other thread! Sorry!

To answer your question on this thread, I do like the smaller bumper look but now you need to do the same to the front to balance out the appearance. And yes it would be difficult to maintain the crash integrity of the stock bumper in the downsized version but it would look so much cleaner! 

Edited by oprn
  • Thanks 1

The corners, just behind the wheels have no strength and are just bendy plastic. That bit could be easily removed, but you'd get a lot of rear spray. The bit inbetween could be modded. You need to see what the structure is like on the car, the bit that is covered up by the bumper. I'd say that the bumper isn't that strong. It's held on by two screws at the top, 3 in the wheel arch and two underneath. Takes five minutes to remove it.

the big question is what would you replace it with? You need some kind of non sharp surface to hide everything and to keep it looking sweet.