Hi there,

I wonder if you can help me. I have a VW Lupo 1.0 - 83k miles.

Recently i noticed it running a bit rough and how i would describe "bunny hopping" up the road almost. Some periods worse than others. I only changed the plugs in November 2016 so I thought their only 2 years old - could be something beyond my skills, so i asked my mate who works at an MOT station to take a look.

He has said today he replaced all of the plugs and ignition leads but the plugs were soaked in oil and in bad condition. He said probably best to get shot of the car as engine likely to be on it's way out.

Now what I want to know is, should I try changing the rocker cover first? Should I wait a few days and remove spark plugs to check condition of them?

Car seems to be running fine now though. Any advise is appreciated.

Jed

It's probably sucking in breather fumes, but could be the piston rings, worn valve guides, head gasket, bunged up throttle valve, all of the above...

Try diverting the breather pipe down to the road and blocking off the flange that sucks all the gunk into the engine. Then take it on a good motorway run to clean things out. When's the last time you changed the air filter?

Just now, mk2 said:

It's probably sucking in breather fumes, but could be the piston rings, worn valve guides, head gasket, bunged up throttle valve, all of the above...

Try diverting the breather pipe down to the road and blocking off the flange that sucks all the gunk into the engine. Then take it on a good motorway run to clean things out. When's the last time you changed the air filter?

Had a service in Febuary 18 which was air filter, fuel filter, oil and filter change, coolant change.

Sorry i'm not very good with cars, can only do a service and sometimes some brake pads lol! Breather pipe is already aimed down to the road I believe. Just gone out and taken a photo of this to show you + spark plugs, hopefully they are attached to this post.

How do i block off flange? Is that the part on the exhaust?

Breather.jpg

Plugs.jpg

Have a look under that big plastic cover... it's all happening under there :)

The breather pipe you refer to being aimed down at the road is in fact the air intake, which is fine to be as it is. 

The one Mk2 is referring to lives underneath the plastic airbox, roughly where the dipstick is. It's a push fitting and is easy enough to simply remove from the airbox. 

Thankyou - I'll look on Friday and update you - What is the flange and how do I block it off?

Ok so update is I think oil was spilled when filling it up as I've checked spark plugs again after cleaning and almost no oil on them now. However quite concerned my plugs are almost black after replacing around 4 days ago? Is this normal? Or does this signal a problem?

IMG_20181208_114815.jpg

What's your mpg like?

33 minutes ago, Rich said:

What's your mpg like?

Seems to be ok we don't do many miles in the car. Had the car 5 years and done 20k. Probably 3k this year. Fill it up once a month really.

I wouldn't worry.

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

I wouldn't worry.

Thanks mate! Think I can put this down to spilling oil when putting it in!

Unless it is weeping out of the cam cover I wouldn't worry about it.

Go find a 16v lupo with oil in the spark plugs, then you will see what a problem looks like. You