VW Fox Windscreen washer bottle leaking

John K

Just purchased a 2010 1.4 Fox. The rear wiper washer was not working but the front wiper washer jets work fine. I then realise the windscreen washer is leaking which I suspect the pipe that connects to the washer bottle (pump) must be loose. 

How can I check if the hose is loose or disconnected?

Any suggestion/instruction would be much appreciated.

7 hours ago, Sausage said:

If it looks like this then it is probably in front of the front wheel. Arch liner out job.

s-l300.jpg

Yes it is. Is it easy to take the arch liner out? Do I have to jack it up and take the wheel off?

Wish I still have my Lupo 1.4S, much easier than the Fox. Unfortunately the timing belt broke ten days ago (a fully Contitech timing belt kit only fitted 22k miles ago). The garage quoted me £500-600 to fit a replacement engine so it is time to go after owning it for 13 years and a rare Lupo with air con. 

7 hours ago, Sausage said:

If it looks like this then it is probably in front of the front wheel. Arch liner out job.

s-l300.jpg

Yes it is. Is it easy to take the arch liner out? Do I have to jack it up and take the wheel off?

Wish I still have my Lupo 1.4S, much easier than the Fox. Unfortunately the timing belt broke ten days ago (a fully Contitech timing belt kit only fitted 22k miles ago). The garage quoted me £500-600 to fit a replacement engine so it is time to go after owning it for 13 years and a rare Lupo with air con. 

I did manage to find a couple of low mileage late engines but finding someone to swap it for £ 150 is virtually impossible! Apart from loosing coolant it also lost all the oil as well! I can do most things but swapping an engine is beyond me. Pity because the Lupo is always well maintained, just changed front brake discs and pads, completely rear brake assembly and new brake drums, brake cables, rear bearing etc etc a few months ago. The engine has only done 130,000 miles.

I might put the Lupo on Gumtree to see if someone would be interested to take it away for parts, well worth it with the amount of parts that I have fitted the last couple of years. Air con models are rare and it is always ice cold in the summer and great for demisting in the winter.

A bit of good news. I went to my local garage to get prices of a set of all weather tyres for the Fox. I mentioned to the guy that the windscreen washer is leaking and he found the leak! It was not leaking at the washer bottle but the pipe that goes from the bulkhead to inside the car got disconnected. He connected it and then found the pipe also got disconnected from the rear wiper motor. All I need to do now is get the pipe connected again!

So glad I don't have to take the wheel arch off, it is getting a bit cold up here!

Many Thanks for all the advice guys. 

It is a bit too far for you Rich.  I would have managed to get the Lupo down to you if it is 50 miles or so.

Just took the over off the rear wiper motor. The pipe is firmly attached to the motor but it would seem to leak inside the tailgate because water is coming from the pipe that runs inside the tailgate and within the rubber gourmet that goes into the car because water is dripping down on that side.

Is it easy to replace the piping? I did that with the Lupo once with water wetting the rear foot well.