Engine conversions.. where to go for info?

musho007

I've not got the disposition nor inclination to learn anything new at my age.. 😂

Is the 1.8t the engine conversion of choice still? I kinda want to see what's involved so I can show my mechanic mate and just pay him to sort it for me!

I'm all for bought not built.  😃😃

35 minutes ago, Rich said:

Start out looking at adding a turbo to any na engine and then you have the knowledge which you can then apply to anything.

Superchargers are easier. Less metalwork. No nasty exhausts to mess with.

9 hours ago, mk2 said:

Superchargers are easier. Less metalwork. No nasty exhausts to mess with.

There still is all the inter cooler pipework and management to deal with - but the noise is great. All the superchaged Lupo threads I have read all complain about heat issues, the logical location is on the front of the engine adjacent to the exhaust manifold and in general people also go for the small M45 eaton charger out of a cooper. but there have to work hard to produce power and in turn more heat. the larger M65 out of a Mercedes is a better option as it does not have to work as hard - but takes up more space.

To do forced induction properly you need forged rods and ideally pistons deigned to drop compression - a cheaper option is stacked gaskets or a compression reducing plate.

Normally aspirated needs revs to make power, to get this you need uprated cams, uprated valvetrain, forgred rods, high compression pistons, throttle bodies and management

1.8t is good for big power, if healthy can handle up to 300 without up-rated internals, but the amount of work required to get it and its gearbox into the Lupo is huge. Even drive shafts need to be adapted. Seem to recall the going rate to be between £4K to £5K.