SDI to 3L style conversion

mk2

Kinda misleading title, but trying to keep it short.

i want to fit a 3L steering wheel and front 'grille' / indicators to my SDI. I was looking for a Gti wheel, but they're hens teeth because my poverty spec wheel is very rough. I also have a small crack in my front grille that has been annoying me for ages.

Anyone know if the stock 3L steering wheel and airbag assembly (basically a complete stering wheel ) is a straight swap to a regular SDI? Same spline? Same mounting back boss? Same airbag connection? Same clearance to steering column housing?

Same question for the front grille and indicators. Does that go straight on? Are the indicator mounts the same? Are the light bulb sockets/connections the same? Do the little plastic locating tabs fit and are they in the same positions...?

Can't you just fill the indicator holes then use a 3L grille? Never seen one for real, so might be a dumb question...

wings are different. Amazing. Material yes (ali instead of steel i think?), but shape...?!

Ok, i get it. Not noticed the subtle difference at the join between the wing and the bumper before. Seems like too much work for the mo to change everything. I do like the 3L front grille though.

I'll swap just the steering wheel assembly then. I might get a couple from germany. Can you believe they only go for about 15 euros plus 12 euros shipping. I don't get why in germany they scrap what we'd generally class as reasonably good nick motors. I mean come on, surface rust on a rear beam or springs, and light corrosion on brake lines and drive shafts... that isn't dangerous. A slightly worn door hinge. Stuck electric windows? TUV failures?

Yeah there's one in N germany right now 88k km. drives perfectly. they just want rid of for 300 euros. No TUV. Corrosion on drive shafts, rear beam, exhaust and coils. Yeah. Big deal...

Ok, I'll get a few and split the shipping costs... what else is worth thinking about?

just bought a german passenger seat fabric, as mine was getting a bit tatty (driver's seat here). (30 euros)

On 11/16/2018 at 1:04 PM, cj1 said:

And superior :D😋

In what regard other than the rear discs (I assume TDi's have rear discs)?

Very similar car mostly, and all the donor parts will have to be replaced on both regardless unless I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Discs are only on GTi and sport petrol models.

So really, it's just about being a bit easier on the TDi and if you get a nice newer model with the sports seats you have that too. 

Be interesting to see the crazy economy figures you could get. Surely talking upwards of 80MPG?

The TDI is just cooler and has 256 up front.

Better image too.

Seats are negligible as you would change for the 3l ones if available.

I wouldn't bother doing any of it, I would just buy a golf MK3 ecomatic and use that, maybe take it on a diet.

The ecomatic seems to be the 3l of its time, many features were carried on to the 3l.

Have you ever worked on one? I've never ever seen one.... Been reading about how they cut out while cruising. unusual, but still, for an early 90s car, they managed 75+mpg. impressive.

By the way @Rich, I'm now getting silly quotes for 3L steering wheels. Like 190 euros! A month ago there was a thing on german TV how everyone now wants 3L wheels on their polos and mk2s. How annoying. I'll wait for the frenzy to die down then have another go. I know someone in Slovakia- they might know a source for 3L bits. Courier costs are the same.

I've got a load of specific ecomatic parts from finding one in a scrappy.

No idea if they work but I got a comprehensive amount of stuff so I'm fairly confident I could convert a regular SDI mk3 over to digiswing with the electronic pas and vacuum etc..