SDI clutch noise

ravensthorne

Hi All

During thursday and friday this week, I've noticed some strange noises while changing gear.  I can best describe it as a whoosh sound that happens only at the bite point when pressing and releasing the clutch.  It seems to happen in all gears although I can't quite hear it in 1st (possibly because the normal engine idle noise on the SDI drowns it out).

Another noise comes from the bell-housing when in neutral - this one is a rattle/clatter, which goes away when the clutch peddle is pressed. Even just resting my foot on the pedal stops the rattle.

What reckon?  Release bearing giving up?  Rich mentioned in a previous topic... "a clutch release bearing can make a noise for a very long time.  leave till it dies"

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Given that it is an 085 gearbox and they are prone to bearing failure I would err on the side of caution and drain the gearbox oil measure it's quantity and inspect it for shiny metal particles. If nothing too obvious there then refill with fresh and see if it makes a difference.

Chances are the output shaft bearing is going and if you catch it early enough it will be a relatively cheap fix.

Clutch bearing are usually noisy when under load as soon as you press the clutch and will indeed go on for ages and ages like this if you can put up with the noise.

Mk2 - thanks for the reply.  Been looking into my symptoms on all the usual online places and I'm fairly confident it's just the release bearing crapping out.  I spent some time today trying to decide what it "actually" sounds like and, to be honest, it sounds like a knackered old, un-lubricated ball-bearing, like the wheels on those sh!t strap-on rollerskates from the 70's.  So I'll monitor it and wait a while before i rip it apart. By the way; most engine work I've done on the SDI has been one big, cramped ball-ache.  Would one man be able replace the bearing/clutch with a couple of axle stands, good tools, and a lot of swearing?

Sausage - thanks for the advice.  Although every gear engages/disengages very slick, I wouldn't be surprised if the oil in the gearbox has been there for 100K+ miles, so will swap it out and look for metallics in the old stuff as it's an easy and cheap way to rule it out.  What oil would you recommend for the 085?  Only asking because I've seen a few contradictions.

Would you believe we're approaching 300,000 miles!?

Thanks again!

Wow, knocking on 300! Cool. My two SDIs have just rolled over 100. This week in fact. One with rebuilt box, other one I'll be doing when I get the chance. 

Ok, that case, if i were you, pull the box, get it rebuilt once out and you're good fir another 300... rebuild kit is about £90. Bearing £16. Clutch kit- your choice. Get to see the magnet when they split the casing... rebuild cost from my local gearbox chap- charges me £50. 3h work. Get a new circlip/shim once almost back together to take up any wear.

you can do it with basic tools and a trolley jack. And a 9mm spline socket (i think) for the clutch pressure plate bolts. While out, service linkages and replace plastic/rubber bits as needed. Not expensive and well worth while. Gear oil- any synth 75w90. Copperslip on splines, synth/plastic grease on ball link and white grease on the other linkages.

total cost a chunky £220-250ish. Not cheap, but if you're keeping it for another couple of years, do it.