Import or not to import- that is the question

NBR

Hi Everyone 

(I did do a search)

im looking for another GTi, out of all the cars I’ve had, I just can’t get a Lupo GTi out of my system. And I’ve already had too many gti’s. 

While on my search this time:

1/ there are too many snot boxes about and lieing sellers (that pled ignorance) that don’t know their A’s from their E’s (nothing changes)

2/ there’s these imported vehicles from Japan....

my personal first feeling/impression is not to bother with the imports. As they are not like a Scooby where you get all the goodness of “twin scroll” etc etc. Also while I’m aware an imported GTi may not have any rust, it will need undersealing and additional work as the JDM cars don’t come with it. Otherwise it will be worse than an uk car. 

Are these imports GOING to be worth less in the future? 

Do you loose “bragging” rights as they not part of the original “batch” ?

Are they made differently that effects the whole idea GTi? (Spec wise) 

whats the general pros and cons? 

Many thanks 

NBR

10 hours ago, NBR said:

1/ there are too many snot boxes about and lieing sellers (that pled ignorance) that don’t know their A’s from their E’s (nothing changes)

Can you give some examples of what you mean? An honest seller is always a good thing especially if travelling any distance to look at the car, these days i only buy very local for that reason.

Discribed as: in brilliant condition except a few scratch’s. 

That translates to: front bumper scuffed, rear bumper scuffed, and dent that needs repair and paint to the rear wing, front bumper both tow eye covers missing. 

Wants for nothing: yet has oil leak and no history. And more owners than described. 

And this is all I can see from the pictures. So god forbid what it’s like in person. 

Edited by NBR

Some truths....

1. There's no difference in terms of the level of rustproofing in JDM cars vs European ones. This is a myth banded about in the nineties and has been proven many times now to be incorrect, they were made in the same factories and on the same production lines as our domestic cars and other than some subtle differences (Flares/no fog light requirement) were built in the same way.

2. Despite glossy importers images of pristine cars, the reality is that the Japanese Barry their cars just as badly if not moreso than we do.... Think MAX POWER meets driven through Halfords with velcro attached. Cars are often tidied up to make them look like cherished examples before sale/import.

3. The only real virtue of importing a car from the land of the rising sun aside from some build/spec quirks here and there is rust (Or the lack-of). This makes sense for MR2's/MX5's/Skylines/Imprezas etc as they all dissolve in our salty winters, Lupo's not so much, they're galvanised. Granted, they do rust, but not to the same extent as the aforementioned cars and as such you still stand a fairly good chance of finding a rust free example domestically. 

In short I can think of lots of cars that would be arguably worth paying the premium to import, IMO it would be pointless paying to bring something like a Lupo over.

Edited by JoeyEunos

Joey is correct in his assessment of Japanese Barry. The last few years (partly thanks to YouTube and various films) has basically created this enigma regarding Japanese car culture etc. There's this myth that visiting Japan will be like Fast and The Furious. Nissan R34 Skyline's everywhere with huge under body Neon's and all that ****..... It's actually not true and MCM basically debunked it when they last visited Japan. Our Barry Boys are more style over substance (i.e. fitting a cone filter for that extra -4 BHP), whereas Japanese Barry Boys are more dangerous (i.e. removing the springs off a car and welding directly to the chassis and welding the wastegate on a turbo'd car shut). There's definitely a few myths floating around as to the quality of their modifications.

In answer to the question though, I see no harm in importing so long as it's a good clean example. The kind of mods that are absolutely terrible for a car will leave some war scars, I suspect. Due diligence and all that. However I'd check there's no extra costs with your insurance ;) 

On 10/9/2018 at 9:31 AM, Skezza said:

It's actually not true and MCM basically debunked it when they last visited Japan. 

Think they were picking up the 240z. they didnt get up to much

But you should check out Juicebox unboxed, that is if you can get past their arsing about - they did a trip to Japan and it was all that

• 2 weeks later...

I import Lupo gtis from Japan.

On the whole they've been very good examples. Some have come in with silly electrical mods which have been easily rectified.

The mechanical mods are generally no more extreme than a set of Coilovers and a Catback..

I do have one in at the minute that has Coilovers, Induction kit, Oil catch can, ECU tune and aftermarket alloys.. Its actually a great little car to drive.

But the main thing all these imports have in common is the overall condition. They are literally like 2-3 year old cars. Super clean underneath, virtually  no rust.

Personally, I would by a car from Japan over a car from the UK everytime. My  Last 3 cars have been from Japan. (BMW e39 525 individual, Audi B6 A4 Avant Sportec edition, Vw Golf Gti Pirelli Edition)

Im not sure where the idea comes from that all Japanese car owners are boy racers..? There is almost 130m people in Japan. Kind of a sweeping statement :D:D

Japan is the home to so much exotica and run of the mill that it makes it a car lovers dream and if you chose not to explore this as an option I feel thats an opportunity missed.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:05 PM, musho007 said:

I import Lupo gtis from Japan.

On the whole they've been very good examples. Some have come in with silly electrical mods which have been easily rectified.

Sell me a minidisc player!

I own a 2005 MY Lupo Gti from Japan.  The underside does indeed look very good, though I plan to have it Dinitroled as both my sons want to keep it in the family long term.

Presumably it won't be too long before this source of cars dries up, but, currently, there are no less than seven Gtis on the Japanese auction website via Buyee.

I think people who - like me - get mad for a Gti don't care where the car originates from, (just finding a late one with lowish mileage is hard enough), and there are pros/cons for either European or Japan sourcing.  But my experience so far is that things like  handbook/service record, heated seat, DAB head are all easily dealt with.

October 2018.jpg

What's the madness about minidisc? I don't get it.... 

Phonograph cylinders. Dead.

78s and 45s records. Dead.

LPs. Dead.

Reel to Reel tape. Dead.

8 track. Dead.

Cassette tapes. Dead.

CDs/Picture discs/optical discs. Dead.

Minidiscs. Dead.

DAT. Dead.

iPods and MP3 players. Just about dead.

Streaming's where it's at. 3/4G modem cards.

I enjoy making lists.

• Thanks 1

You wouldn’t get it because you’re either too young or too old. Also, the authentic vag minidisc player is pretty rare, it’s not necessarily the format, although that is pretty awesome, but the eclusivity of the head unit that is what all the fuss is about. 

Kinda like the golf/Passat rear bench fully intergrated kids booster seats, but apparently even rarer than that.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

You wouldn’t get it because you’re either too young or too old. Also, the authentic vag minidisc player is pretty rare, it’s not necessarily the format, although that is pretty awesome, but the eclusivity of the head unit that is what all the fuss is about. 

Kinda like the golf/Passat rear bench fully intergrated kids booster seats, but apparently even rarer than that.

Nah, well explained. I get it now. A bit like a pound coin with two heads, or two tails. Authentic, but as rare as.... basically a freak of nature. Cool.